Is SeaMonkey still working?

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
lasardo

Re: Is SeaMonkey still working?

Post by lasardo »

To get a Notepad icon on the bottom - hold the windows key (it looks like a flag), press the letter R. In the box that appears, type notepad, press enter. Then, right click the notepad icon at the bottom of the screen and there will be a long menu, near the bottom is "pin to taskbar", select that. I will stay out of discussing your other issues as I don't belong in the Seamonkey forum, but I do want to mention that making a full backup of your entire computer regularly is a really good idea. This is normally done to an external hard drive, but if you have super fast internet without bandwidth limits it can also be done as a backup to the cloud.
elake

Post by elake »

elake wrote:
DanRaisch wrote:
elake wrote:...I don't know what "creating a new profile means," how to go about it, or what it would accomplish.
See your screen shot above of the SeaMonkey Profile Manager. Click on the "Manage Profiles" button at bottom left and then on the "Create profile" button.
Okay. I guess that should have been obvious, but I've got a million things happening at once, so it's hard to focus. I'll try that as soon as I finish something else I'm doing. Thanks.
Okay. I clicked on Manage Profiles. That gave me a page where it has an option to "create a new profile." I clicked on that. That took me to a page which somewhat explains what is going on. Then I clicked on "Next."

That took me to a page where I need to establish a name for my new profile.

I stopped there. I don't know what is going to happen next. What happens to all the bookmarks I recreated since the disaster? Will things go back to the point of the disaster?

I can't go any further without understanding what will happen.

Ed
elake

Post by elake »

lasardo wrote:To get a Notepad icon on the bottom - hold the windows key (it looks like a flag), press the letter R. In the box that appears, type notepad, press enter. Then, right click the notepad icon at the bottom of the screen and there will be a long menu, near the bottom is "pin to taskbar", select that. I will stay out of discussing your other issues as I don't belong in the Seamonkey forum, but I do want to mention that making a full backup of your entire computer regularly is a really good idea. This is normally done to an external hard drive, but if you have super fast internet without bandwidth limits it can also be done as a backup to the cloud.
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I've got notepad back!!!! Unfortunately, that means I have about 2 hours of additional work to do as soon as possible (saving copies of my
web site log files).

I have been backing up all my "critical files" on the first of every month, and whenever something seems to need backing up. I haven't backed up my "whole computer" because I didn't realize it was possible. And I wouldn't know what to do with the backup if I did it.

I would like to see if my emails are still saved somewhere. I've been on this forum to ask how to back up those emails, but the instructions were too technical for me and I could never follow them. I would still like to see if my emails (and my old profile) are stored somewhere on my computer.

Thanks again.

Ed
lasardo

Post by lasardo »

You're welcome. A full backup is like an insurance policy, normally you never use it and you hope you never need it, but in an emergency it is a great help. I'll explain why at the end. A full computer backup is possible, but it takes some effort and cost. First your computer has to have USB ports that are at least USB2 or USB3 - with USB1 a backup would take a week to perform and would fail. You would need an external hard drive at least as big as the drive in your computer - a 1000GB = 1TB drive in the US costs usually between $50 to $100. You would need software to do the backup and to very carefully follow its instructions. Software may come with the drive, but it isn't always very good. Software can range in price from free, to a popular one is $50. And then, then backup can take a few hours to do (depending on many factors).

What can you do with a full system backup and when do you need it? If you get a very bad computer virus, everything on your computer can be lost, corrupted, or ransomware encrypted. Restoring your full system puts everything back to when you last did the backup, and gets your files back and gets rid of the virus. Note - doing a restore is more difficult than doing a backup - if you ever need to do a restore, you should probably hire a professional to do it, and that will usually cost from $50-150. Also, hard drives spin at often 5200RPM which is pretty fast- they can wear out in time, or can fail if a computer is dropped. Some hard drives will last 5 years, some 10, some not even 1, but a hard drive failure is always possible. If the hard drive dies, everything on the computer is lost, but if you have a full backup, you can buy another drive and restore from the backup and everything comes back, including all the programs.
elake

Post by elake »

lasardo wrote:You're welcome. A full backup is like an insurance policy, normally you never use it and you hope you never need it, but in an emergency it is a great help. I'll explain why at the end. A full computer backup is possible, but it takes some effort and cost. First your computer has to have USB ports that are at least USB2 or USB3 - with USB1 a backup would take a week to perform and would fail. You would need an external hard drive at least as big as the drive in your computer - a 1000GB = 1TB drive in the US costs usually between $50 to $100. You would need software to do the backup and to very carefully follow its instructions. Software may come with the drive, but it isn't always very good. Software can range in price from free, to a popular one is $50. And then, then backup can take a few hours to do (depending on many factors).

What can you do with a full system backup and when do you need it? If you get a very bad computer virus, everything on your computer can be lost, corrupted, or ransomware encrypted. Restoring your full system puts everything back to when you last did the backup, and gets your files back and gets rid of the virus. Note - doing a restore is more difficult than doing a backup - if you ever need to do a restore, you should probably hire a professional to do it, and that will usually cost from $50-150. Also, hard drives spin at often 5200RPM which is pretty fast- they can wear out in time, or can fail if a computer is dropped. Some hard drives will last 5 years, some 10, some not even 1, but a hard drive failure is always possible. If the hard drive dies, everything on the computer is lost, but if you have a full backup, you can buy another drive and restore from the backup and everything comes back, including all the programs.
Okay, thanks. I have a 1 terabyte external hard drive. It contains years worth of backups, including everything that was stored on my old computer. But I'm not sure how to check my USB ports.

Right now, my #1 problem is getting Seamonkey parameters straight so that I can update my web site.
My #2 problem is probably to get "Mail and Newsgroups" stuff working again. But I don't want to wipe out my old stuff if it is still around somewhere.

I also need to find the bookmarks file so that I can save it. And I really REALLY need to figure out if all my emails were deleted or if I just lost the link to them.

Something else changed that I just noticed. My windows keep changing sizes, particularly when I have a lot of them open. I don't recall that ever happening before. But, I probably never had so many windows open at the same time before.

Thanks again.

Ed
lasardo

Post by lasardo »

Any computers that were built after 2004 or so should have at least USB 2.0 and be fine. If you wanted to do a full backup, it might be best to buy yet another 1TB drive, but if you ever do try to do a full backup to your existing external drive, one warning. Do not do a clone or a copy to an external drive that has data you need on it, which it would wipe out. Instead, you could store an "image file" to a drive like that. However, best option is get another drive if you decide to try it. Hopefully someone else will get back to you about the other stuff since as I said I know virtually nothing about Seamonkey.

I do know 2 things that could be of some help though. Emails can be set to be left on a server, or they can be set to be only on your computer and deleted immediately from the server. If you are lucky enough to have left your emails on the server, than it is possible to get them again on your computer, carefully. I will not discuss how as it could be quite complicated.

2nd thing - did you know that Windows computers can have multiple user accounts on them, for example to be used by a spouse or child? If you create a new user account and log into it, and run Seamonkey in that user account, all the settings will be DIFFERENT from your normal installation, they will be defaults. It is possible those default settings would allow you to edit your web page. You can log in and out of all the users if you know their passwords. If you create any password make sure to write it down. You can watch youtube videos that will show you how to create and log in and out of windows user accounts.
elake

Post by elake »

I really need to save a copy of my bookmarks file. Where can I find it?

I went to the program folder and then to the seamonkey folder, but I couldn't find any bookmarks file.

And where are saved emails stored?

Ed
elake

Post by elake »

lasardo wrote:Any computers that were built after 2004 or so should have at least USB 2.0 and be fine. If you wanted to do a full backup, it might be best to buy yet another 1TB drive, but if you ever do try to do a full backup to your existing external drive, one warning. Do not do a clone or a copy to an external drive that has data you need on it, which it would wipe out. Instead, you could store an "image file" to a drive like that. However, best option is get another drive if you decide to try it. Hopefully someone else will get back to you about the other stuff since as I said I know virtually nothing about Seamonkey.

I do know 2 things that could be of some help though. Emails can be set to be left on a server, or they can be set to be only on your computer and deleted immediately from the server. If you are lucky enough to have left your emails on the server, than it is possible to get them again on your computer, carefully. I will not discuss how as it could be quite complicated.

2nd thing - did you know that Windows computers can have multiple user accounts on them, for example to be used by a spouse or child? If you create a new user account and log into it, and run Seamonkey in that user account, all the settings will be DIFFERENT from your normal installation, they will be defaults. It is possible those default settings would allow you to edit your web page. You can log in and out of all the users if you know their passwords. If you create any password make sure to write it down. You can watch youtube videos that will show you how to create and log in and out of windows user accounts.
Thanks. I don't think that backing up my entire computer is worthwhile. I just need to know how to save copies of my email files - or more correctly, where the email files are stored. I saved my emails with the "Mail and Newsgroups" feature. I had at least a dozen different files for different subjects. I lost access to all of that. I don't know if it was deleted or not. I don't know where to look for it. It must be in some "hidden" files that I forgot how to access.

Since I cannot yet use "Mail and Newsgroups" (I have to figure out what all the parameters are), I'm using my email servers for storage. But they only have emails since Wednesday morning. Prior to that, I'd delete emails on the servers (except for trash) whenever I saved the email. My main email server at Time Warner Cable has 10 emails on it, that is everything I've received since Wednesday except for stuff from Amazon that I deleted. My secondary email server has 3 emails on it and a trash bin that is nearly full. I haven't yet tried to access my tertiary email server (outlook). Nothing important ever goes there.

I'm the only person who uses my computer.

I can edit my web page html files. The problem with the bad links went away when I reinstalled Seamonkey. I think only one page was affected by the bad link problem, and I backed that page up on September 1.

I haven't been able to update my web site since Wednesday because I lost all the profile information. So I need to figure out what goes in the Publish and Settings boxes.

Ed
amrad

Post by amrad »

Hello Ed,

See this:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_SeaMonkey

In that you will find details of where your email files are stored. Scroll down until you find the heading 'Files' then look for information on Mbox files just below the heading 'Files'.

Regards,

Dave.
elake

Post by elake »

amrad wrote:Hello Ed,

See this:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_SeaMonkey

In that you will find details of where your email files are stored. Scroll down until you find the heading 'Files' then look for information on Mbox files just below the heading 'Files'.

Regards,

Dave.
Okay, thanks. I keep hoping to stumble upon some quick fix, but it looks like I'm going to have to sit down and study this stuff and go through it step by step.

Thanks again.

Ed
elake

Post by elake »

Okay, I can now update my website once again. Whew!

The first try didn't work because when I uploaded my index.html file it went into a wrong folder. See the attached image:

I used cuteftp to examine the situation. When I saw where the index.html file was placed, I knew I had to change a parameter in the settings box to use the subfolder public_html. That is where everything else is.

So, I changed the setting and tried again, and it worked fine.

Thanks for all the help.

I still really need to know how to access my bookmarks file so I can save it. And I need to get my "mail and newsgroups" page working again. But the BIG problem of updating my web site seems to have been solved.

Ed
amrad

Post by amrad »

Hello Ed,
elake wrote:I still really need to know how to access my bookmarks file so I can save it.
You'll find where your Bookmarks are stored in the link I gave you for your email files. Under the Heading 'Files', scroll down until you find 'places.sqlite' (in versions of SeaMonkey before V2, bookmarks were stored in 'bookmarks.html'). You'll need an application that can read '.sqlite' files. You'll find more information about that and places.sqlite here:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Places.sqlite.

Regards,

Dave.
elake

Post by elake »

elake wrote:I still really need to know how to access my bookmarks file so I can save it.
You'll find where your Bookmarks are stored in the link I gave you for your email files. Under the Heading 'Files', scroll down until you find 'places.sqlite' (in versions of SeaMonkey before V2, bookmarks were stored in 'bookmarks.html'). You'll need an application that can read '.sqlite' files. You'll find more information about that and places.sqlite here:

Regards,

Dave.
Okay, thanks. I'll give it a try later today.

BTW, that Windows update last Wednesday morning made Edge my default browser. It also caused other things. When I open a pdf file, it is opened with Edge, not with Acrobat Reader. Edge is CRAP compared to Acrobat Rader. And Edge is doing something with html files. When I look at the contents of files by using Windows Explorer, there is an Edge "e" symbol on all the html files.

So, while that update on Wednesday morning may not have been an officially new "version", it definitely happened. Here are some news stories:

Microsoft: You don't want to use Edge? Are you sure? Really sure?
Windows 10 preview build app suggestions attract internet's ire
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/09/1 ... ggestions/

Stop Edge from hijacking your PDF/HTML file associations
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/stop-edg ... sociations

Do a Google News search for - Edge default - and you will see a lot more articles.

I suppose its possible that it somehow caused Seamonkey to go haywire.

Ed
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

When I look at the contents of files by using Windows Explorer, there is an Edge "e" symbol on all the html files.
That shows that Windows has modified the default program selection in the Windows Registry to assign HTML files (and undoubtedly HTM, PDF, and other file formats) to be opened in Edge rather than your choice, be it SeaMonkey, Firefox, Chrome or any other browser or PDF viewer program.
elake

Post by elake »

Regards,

Dave.
FWIW, I also found I can make a copy of my bookmarks file by clicking on Bookmarks, then on "Manage Bookmarks," then on "Bookmarks Menu." I then click on the first item on the list. I then select the entire list. I then copy everything and paste it to an html file or a WORD file. And then I can edit and save it.

It's not a list, it's a string of links, but is saves all the information I would need to recover if the bookmarks file was ever deleted again.

Ed