lag & beachballs in SM 2.49.4 (Mac)

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Frank Lion

Re: lag & beachballs in SM 2.49.4 (Mac)

Post by Frank Lion »

ppweb wrote:What could possibly caused this behavior?
Adding Lightning to your UA string. Causes quite a few problems.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
ppweb

Post by ppweb »

Frank Lion wrote:
ppweb wrote:What could possibly caused this behavior?
Adding Lightning to your UA string. Causes quite a few problems.
Thanks for the tip, but a friend is using SM without Lightning and she's having the same problem on her Macbook (beachball, memory hog). But I will disable it anyhow since I can't recall having this extension installed.
ppweb

Post by ppweb »

frg wrote:I am not seeing these problems on 10.14.1. Started with 10.12 and also didn't see them there. Also use NoScript (I use 5.1.9) and uBlock origin (I use 1.16.4.5) to block scripts and ads or you will generally be sorry and fight with bloat and slowdowns.
Try a new test profile. Might be add-on related.

While java still works in 2.49.5 it is deprecated and should be removed. Not aware of one site which still needs it. Flash is a pile of garbage and can very well cause excessive memory usage.

FRG
Thanks frg. As noted, I have all plug-ins disabled and even moved them out of the two /Library/Internet Plugins folders. Hence these are not the cause. Extensions used are: Lightning, Show/Go Parent Folder, and JavaScript Debugger. Lightning has been ruled out, too, since my friend has the same problems without this extension. Next, I'll remove mentioned extensions except the default DOM Inspector and check if things improve.

As to ad scripts etc., how should they add to bloat other than temporary and in disk cache while at that particular website? Does SM not purge all temporary in-memory data loaded from the previous site when moving from website A to website B to avoid ever increasing memory bloat? Could hardly imagine this. My webappsstore.sqlite is only between 1.7 to 4.5MB in size. Yet, if SM becomes very slow after approx. 3 days of use and I delete webappsstore.sqlite plus restart SM, performance is back to normal again. So how should adware contribute to this extreme memory footprint and poor performance in my case? Besides, I use a huge hosts file to block many ad domains and trackers.
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

... and JavaScript Debugger...
  • :-k JavaScript Debugger (= Venkman) is totally obsolete and depreciated for some time now.
    SeaMonkey 2.49.2 - Release Notes wrote:... SeaMonkey 2.29 dropped support for the legacy JavaScript Debugger interface (JSD1). Hence add-ons that relied on it, like
    the JavaScript Debugger (Venkman) that came bundled with SeaMonkey, have stopped working. While Venkman has been discontinued ....
    So, you should eliminate that extension. Because it's likely to cause some issues ... #-o

Cheers!! 8-)
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240109 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.1
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240324 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
ppweb

Post by ppweb »

Yet, both problems still persist. Despite removing all extensions and add-ons, memory consumption grows to 2.3+ GB after a few days and the beachball lag rears its ugly head.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

Do you leave SM running for days on end? Surely you do not browse 24 hours a day, so why leave it running? It works better if you close it when not using it. Clearing out private information on shutdown helps also.