Outlook.com email accounts on SeaMonkey Mail do not work

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
MikeSA

Outlook.com email accounts on SeaMonkey Mail do not work

Post by MikeSA »

I first set up two POP email accounts on SeaMonkey Mail but found that only one was working. On the other account, although emails were being downloaded, outgoing emails were not going through.

I then set up two Outlook.com emails accounts but these do not work at all. Mail can not be sent out or received. However, the very same accounts configured on Thunderbird work fine. So why not on SeaMonkey? I even tried changing the default SMTP but to no avail. What could be the problem?
DanRaisch

Re: Outlook.com email accounts on SeaMonkey Mail do not work

Post by DanRaisch »

Without any details it's rather hard to say what could be wrong.

What do you have for settings for the outgoing Outlook mail server (SMTP) in SeaMonkey?
They should be :
Server name smtp.outlook.com
Port 587
User name: your full Outlook email address
Authentication: Normal password
Connection Security: STARTTLS
MikeSA

Post by MikeSA »

Thanks for your prompt response. The settings are all correct with smtp-mail.outlook.com as the outgoing Outlook mail server. On Thunderbird, everything works fine with the same settings except that the Port is 993 and the connection securely as SSL/TLS

I even tried both STARTTLS as well as SSL/TLS as the Connection Securely and changing the Port to 587 but I keep getting the following message:
"Mail server imap=mail.outlook.com is not am IMAP4 mail server".

And at times, it just says "checking server capabilities" after which I am asked for each account's password but then, in the case of the outlook.com accounts, the passwords are not accepted and the process fails to proceed any further.

It is the latest version 2.49.4 of SeaMonkey that I downloaded and it appears there is a bug somewhere, would you agree?
hardys

Post by hardys »

"Mail server imap=mail.outlook.com is not am IMAP4 mail server".
Here are the settings for outlook.com
To enable POP access, see Enable POP access in Outlook.com below.

IMAP server name imap-mail.outlook.com.
IMAP port 993.
IMAP encryption method TLS.
POP server name pop-mail.outlook.com.
POP port 995.
POP encryption method TLS.
SMTP server name smtp-mail.outlook.com.
SMTP port 587

please also see: https://support.office.com/en-us/articl ... 414e2aa040

In the setup process choose POP or IMAP with the settings provided above.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

It is the latest version 2.49.4 of SeaMonkey that I downloaded and it appears there is a bug somewhere, would you agree?
No, I don't. If it was a bug I would have expected to see the same issue when I added an account for that email system.

Try changing the server name to the value I posted above, not smtp-mail.outlook.com but smtp.office365.com.
MikeSA

Post by MikeSA »

Thanks but I am afraid still no joy. If I change the server to that for Office365, the following message comes up:

“Unable to connect to the server. You may have exceeded the maximum number of connections to the server. If so, use the advanced server settungs dialog to reduce the number of cached connections”.

But I only have one connection. If I change back to smtp-mail.outlook.com then, although messages can be received on one of the outlook.com accounts, emails do not go out. Instead, the following takes place:

Checking mail server capabilities>Sending Login info>Login to imap server failed.

On two other Outlook.com accounts, no messages get downloaded and nether can emails be sent out.
However, if I try again, it then repeatedly asks for the password for each outlook.com account but the same takes place again and again.

As regards, the two POP accounts, surprisingly they seem to be working now and I am able to send and receive messages. The problem is with the Imap outlook.com accounts and it appears I will simply have to make do with the same accounts on Thunderbird.

SeaMonkey Mail apparently uses the SMTP of the very first account configured on the program as the default but adding the SMTP's of all the other accounts and making each the default does not seem to resolve matters. Perhaps the Microsoft servers are currently down and the outlook.com might just work shortly.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You can add multiple SMTP servers in SeaMonkey and assign one to each account as appropriate. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_: ... TP_Servers That article refers to Thunderbird but once you are viewing the Account Settings dialogue, the actions and settings would be the same.
therube

Post by therube »

Mail server imap=mail.outlook.com is not am IMAP4 mail server
Equals.
Unless its a typo, you have "imap" "=" "mail.outlook.com".

Equals would not be correct.

Looks like it should be, dash: "imap" "-" "mail.outlook.com"
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
MikeSA

Post by MikeSA »

I read the article in the link and assigned each account with its respective SMTP server but now I get the following error message:

“SENDING OF THE MESSAGE FAILED. An error occurred while sending mail.
Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp-mail.outlook.com is unknown. Please verify that the Outgoing Server settings are correct”.

I then set smtp-mail.outlook.com as the default server once again but now messages cannot be sent out from any of the accounts and that includes the two POP acounts that were working fine. The following error message is displayed”

“SENDING OF THE MESSAGE FAILED. The message could not be sent because the connection to the Outgoing Server timed out”. Try again.

Even if I try again, the same message comes up. What now?

And in response to therube's post, yes it was a typo. It should be a dash "-" and not an equal "=" sign.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp-mail.outlook.com is unknown.
Please try what I have TWICE posted above and change that "smtp-mail.outlook.com" to smtp.office365.com. I know that the latter works with port 587, full email address as user name, normal password for Authentication method and STARTTLS for connection security.
MikeSA

Post by MikeSA »

Thanks again but I can assure you that I did exactly as advised. I changed smtp-mail.outlook.com to smtp.office 365.com with Port 587 and my email address as the user name, normal PW and STARTTLS but, although new messages get downloaded, emails do not go out from both the POP as well as the outlook.com Imap accounts.

The following error messages are displayed when emails are sent from POP accounts:
"An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded : Cannot submit message".

And in respect of emails from sent from the outlook accounts, it says : "Sending of password for user did not succeed. LOGIN FAILED".

A technician at the local computer shop also tried everything as advised, but in vain. Messages are just not going out even with correct passwords and his advice is to switch to another program! But, as a last a resort, is there anything else I can try?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Please confirm that your statement that "I changed smtp-mail.outlook.com to smtp.office 365.com" includes a type and that there was no space included between "office" and "365" in the server name entry.

Who is the provider for the POP accounts?
MikeSA

Post by MikeSA »

DanRaisch wrote:Please confirm that your statement that "I changed smtp-mail.outlook.com to smtp.office 365.com" includes a type and that there was no space included between "office" and "365" in the server name entry.
No, there is no space between "office" and "365" in the server setting. That was another typo!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

MikeSA

Post by MikeSA »

DanRaisch wrote:
I am currently here in South Africa and will only be returning in the new year. Vodamail is the provider and I access the internet using a 3G modem.

However, it appears unlikely that the ISP is at fault as the same accounts configured on Thunderbird work just fine. I even tried setting the SMTP of Vodamail as the default but that did not work either. Furthermore, I deleted all the accounts and configured them back again but still no joy. There is definitely something wrong somewhere. Looks like I need to throw in the towel!