MozillaZine

Any Way to See Cookies' Values?

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
wpr
 
Posts: 147
Joined: April 19th, 2004, 5:24 pm
Location: Tampa Bay, FL

Post Posted February 3rd, 2019, 4:47 pm

I found an add-on to do this in Firefox but it won't work in SeaMonkey and I was wondering if anyone knew how to see the values of the cookies? This should be a part of the Cookie Manager screen.

Thanks for any help.

TPR75
 
Posts: 695
Joined: July 25th, 2011, 8:11 am
Location: Poland

Post Posted February 4th, 2019, 1:06 am

wpr wrote:I found an add-on to do this in Firefox but it won't work in SeaMonkey and I was wondering if anyone knew how to see the values of the cookies? This should be a part of the Cookie Manager screen.


This part?
Menu -> Tools -> Data Manager -> in "Search Domains" type what you seek or scroll and click LMB under "Domain" -> if cookie was set then "Cookies" tab should be active

Image

There was good extension to manage cookies - Cookie Monster but it was removed by developer (Tony Schilling) when Mozilla released new Fx57 with new "WebExtensions".

To use it with SeaMonkey it must be changed a little (conversion and tip from user Anonymosity):
viewtopic.php?p=14714414#p14714414

Here is result:
https://mega.nz/#!g1ITHRqI!UweoY-3R4Ero ... ljV1yA8h7c

But remember! Don't trust and install everything you'll find on Internet... 8-[

wpr
 
Posts: 147
Joined: April 19th, 2004, 5:24 pm
Location: Tampa Bay, FL

Post Posted February 4th, 2019, 3:40 am

Your post turned me on to the Content part in the Information section. Though I had seen this before, having used the Data Manager many times, I didn't realize that the Content line is the cookie's value.

It would be so much easier if that variable were included in the top section, along with Website, Cookie Name, etc. I was hoping your Cookie Monster extension would do this, but no such luck.

Thank you for your input.

TPR75
 
Posts: 695
Joined: July 25th, 2011, 8:11 am
Location: Poland

Post Posted February 4th, 2019, 6:03 am

wpr wrote:I was hoping your Cookie Monster extension would do this, but no such luck.


With Cookie Monster extension you can quickly view cookies for present website:
click CM icon on Navigation Toolbar -> View Cookies -> Show cookies for [WEBSITE_ADDRESS]

Image

BTW Tip from user Anonymosity was about some small change to allow view cookies under SeaMonkey.

More details are stored in "cookies.sqlite" file. To search database file you'll need e.g. SQLite Manager extension:
https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-us/se ... e-manager/
(click "Download Anyway")

If you want to use it then you must change value for SeaMonkey version in "install.rdf" file. Easiest way is to use 7-Zip.

Anonymosity
 
Posts: 8537
Joined: May 7th, 2007, 12:07 pm

Post Posted February 4th, 2019, 10:16 am

The problem these days is that the content of cookies is not in plain text any more. What is not just an ID number is encrypted, so not human-readable.

LordOfTheBored
 
Posts: 267
Joined: December 7th, 2005, 8:36 pm

Post Posted February 6th, 2019, 12:40 am

TPR75 wrote:There was good extension to manage cookies - Cookie Monster but it was removed by developer (Tony Schilling) when Mozilla released new Fx57 with new "WebExtensions".

To use it with SeaMonkey it must be changed a little (conversion and tip from user Anonymosity):
viewtopic.php?p=14714414#p14714414

Cookie Monster largely replicates functionality that is still present in Seamonkey, though hidden.

chrome://communicator/content/permissions/cookieViewer.xul brings up the "old" cookie viewer that the data manager is supposed to replace.
(I make no guarantees it will still exist in later releases, but it works in the current one)

TPR75
 
Posts: 695
Joined: July 25th, 2011, 8:11 am
Location: Poland

Post Posted February 6th, 2019, 8:50 am

LordOfTheBored wrote:Cookie Monster largely replicates functionality that is still present in Seamonkey, though hidden.

chrome://communicator/content/permissions/cookieViewer.xul brings up the "old" cookie viewer that the data manager is supposed to replace.
(I make no guarantees it will still exist in later releases, but it works in the current one)


If "old" cookie viewer is required for Cookie Monster extension and could be somehow abandoned in newer SeaMonkey (2.5x) then it will be not bad news. It will be disaster. I hope it'll work in future... or somebody write new extension with CM's functionality... [-o<

frg
 
Posts: 690
Joined: December 15th, 2015, 1:20 pm

Post Posted February 6th, 2019, 9:04 am

> and could be somehow abandoned in newer SeaMonkey (2.5x) t

The old cookie viewer will still work in 2.57. I am using it daily in 2.53 to blow away all cookies fast when i feel this is needed. Can't say if Cookie Monster works but it should be fixable even in 2.57 if not.

FRG

Return to SeaMonkey Support


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests