which dedicated features are lost with firefox user agent ?

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Michael REMY

which dedicated features are lost with firefox user agent ?

Post by Michael REMY »

hi,

to solve the google homepage search problem, i had to desable the seamonkey user agent string (advertise Firefox compatibility) to switch in "firefox mode " by google.
So th eproblem is solved, but...what did i lost from Seamonkey features ?

is there a list of all feature of SEAMONKEY which are desabled by this case ?

I looked at the seamonkey help, but that kind of informatin is not listed in the User Agent String help page.

thank for your reply.

Mike
frg

Re: which dedicated features are lost with firefox user agen

Post by frg »

If you do it globally websites will just count SeaMonkey as Firefox. Using it on duckduckgo we might get less monkey from them.

If you do it per site website owners will theoretically loose all interst to fix their broken website. Practically they, like google, don't care anyway.

It won't make a dent in the overall usage but I avoid having accounts on websites like github, google and facebook because they just don't care about web compatibility.
Michael REMY

Post by Michael REMY »

after 2hours, i get a serious difference between seamonkey and firefox.

This just a google image search.

Image Image

why seamonkey does not render EXACTLY like FIREFOX with this option OFF ? i don't understand. i thought seamonkey really behave like FF if i desabled this option.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Michael REMY wrote:why seamonkey does not render EXACTLY like FIREFOX with this option OFF ? i don't understand. i thought seamonkey really behave like FF if i desabled this option.
It's Google. It's their fault. They don't like browsers other then their own Chrome.
--
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Michael REMY wrote:after 2hours, i get a serious difference between seamonkey and firefox.

This just a google image search.

Image Image
In the SeaMonkey screenshot you have JavaScript off on the Google image page. I can tell.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
LordOfTheBored

Post by LordOfTheBored »

Michael REMY wrote:hi,

to solve the google homepage search problem, i had to desable the seamonkey user agent string (advertise Firefox compatibility) to switch in "firefox mode " by google.
So th eproblem is solved, but...what did i lost from Seamonkey features ?

is there a list of all feature of SEAMONKEY which are desabled by this case ?
Changes to the user agent make no change to Seamonkey's behavior or functionality. The only thing it changes is the name Seamonkey presents to websites it visits. It is like wearing a nametag with someone else's name, it doesn't change anything about you.

Michael REMY wrote:after 2hours, i get a serious difference between seamonkey and firefox.

why seamonkey does not render EXACTLY like FIREFOX with this option OFF ? i don't understand. i thought seamonkey really behave like FF if i desabled this option.
Google serves different code to Seamonkey and Firefox because it doesn't like our useragent. And it serves up broken code to Seamonkey users, because Google is awesome like that.