MozillaZine

how to start SeaMonkey? (Linux)

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
tomcloyd
 
Posts: 83
Joined: December 11th, 2003, 7:32 am
Location: Spokane, WA

Post Posted March 13th, 2019, 1:58 pm

I have used SeaMonkey (SM) intermittently for years. After an OS upgrade I have finally had a need for SM, installed it (ver. 2.49.4, via downloaded from project homepage, then unpacked into directory), and now I cannot start it.

Code: Select all
tomc@ANB:~/programs/seamonkey$ ./seamonkey
bash: ./seamonkey: No such file or directory
tomc@ANB:~/programs/seamonkey$ sh seamonkey
seamonkey: 1: seamonkey: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")


Please tell me what I'm doing wrong and how to fix it.

My system:
OS: GNU/Linux, kernal 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 GNU/Linux, Linux Mint 19.1 (Tessa) (Ubuntu bionic)
Acer Swift 3 laptop - model SF314-54 (x86_64)
Processor: 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5 (4 processors)
RAM: 8 GB DDR4
Hard Drive: Flash Memory Solid State - Micron_1100_MTFD size: 256.1GB
Graphics: Card: Intel UHD Graphics 620
Last edited by DanRaisch on March 13th, 2019, 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (Linux) added to subject line.
======================
Tom Cloyd / Spokane, WA, USA
======================

James
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 27565
Joined: June 18th, 2003, 3:07 pm
Location: Made in Canada

Post Posted March 13th, 2019, 2:26 pm

If you downloaded from http://www.seamonkey-project.org/ then you may have the 32-bit version of seamonkey-2.49.4.tar.bz2

https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/seamonkey/releases/2.49.4/linux-x86_64/en-US/

tomcloyd
 
Posts: 83
Joined: December 11th, 2003, 7:32 am
Location: Spokane, WA

Post Posted March 13th, 2019, 3:55 pm

Thank you - I'll check this, but suppose I do. My understanding is that 32-bit software generally runs fine on 64-bit machines. Do I have this wrong? I think not:

https://www.quora.com/Does-32-bit-softw ... 64-bit-os#

https://www.howtogeek.com/194119/why-ar ... f-windows/

https://www.quora.com/Does-32-bit-softw ... 64-bit-os#

Returning to the seamonkey home page, I see that the only Linux download offered are 32-bit. So, I don't think this is the problem.

My question is about the correct command to launch the application. I've exhausted the possibilities I know about, none of which work.
======================
Tom Cloyd / Spokane, WA, USA
======================

therube

User avatar
 
Posts: 19691
Joined: March 10th, 2004, 9:59 pm
Location: Maryland USA

Post Posted March 13th, 2019, 4:47 pm

Well presumably seamonkey (binary) is not in, tomc@ANB:~/programs/seamonkey$, correct?

So where is it?
No find or locate utility on your system?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

James
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 27565
Joined: June 18th, 2003, 3:07 pm
Location: Made in Canada

Post Posted March 13th, 2019, 5:45 pm

tomcloyd wrote:Thank you - I'll check this, but suppose I do. My understanding is that 32-bit software generally runs fine on 64-bit machines. Do I have this wrong? I think not:

Returning to the seamonkey home page, I see that the only Linux download offered are 32-bit. So, I don't think this is the problem.

My question is about the correct command to launch the application. I've exhausted the possibilities I know about, none of which work.

You can technically run 32-bit apps on 64-bit Linux yes if you have the appropriate needed 32-bit libraries though there could be a variety of issues. It is better to use the 64-bit version on 64-bit Linux if available and in this case it is.

Your links are about running 32-bit Windows applications on 64-bit Windows and not about Linux.

That is the problem, you are trying to run a build of SeaMonkey made for 32-bit Linux on a 64-bit Linux distro and do not have the appropriate libraries installed.

I gave you a link to the 64-bit version of SeaMonkey 2.49.4 for 64-bit Linux though it is still only available as en-US. You may be able to use Language Packs to make the menus be in another language.

Here is the link again https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/seamonkey/releases/2.49.4/linux-x86_64/en-US/

The 32-bit version is https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/seamonkey/releases/2.49.4/linux-i686/ which is what you have been trying to run.

tomcloyd
 
Posts: 83
Joined: December 11th, 2003, 7:32 am
Location: Spokane, WA

Post Posted March 13th, 2019, 9:20 pm

therube wrote:Well presumably seamonkey (binary) is not in, tomc@ANB:~/programs/seamonkey$, correct?

So where is it?
No find or locate utility on your system?


That IS where it is. The "$" in Linux is the terminating character used by the OS in a command line environment.

So, in my user account, the command line prompt is
Code: Select all
tomc@ANB:~$


When I change to where I keep the seamonkey binary, the command prompt for that dir is
Code: Select all
tomc@ANB:~/programs/seamonkey$
, and it is in that dir that I would execute the program.
======================
Tom Cloyd / Spokane, WA, USA
======================

tomcloyd
 
Posts: 83
Joined: December 11th, 2003, 7:32 am
Location: Spokane, WA

Post Posted March 13th, 2019, 10:22 pm

James wrote:
tomcloyd wrote:Thank you - I'll check this, but suppose I do. My understanding is that 32-bit software generally runs fine on 64-bit machines. Do I have this wrong? I think not:

Returning to the seamonkey home page, I see that the only Linux download offered are 32-bit. So, I don't think this is the problem.

My question is about the correct command to launch the application. I've exhausted the possibilities I know about, none of which work.


You can technically run 32-bit apps on 64-bit Linux yes if you have the appropriate needed 32-bit libraries though there could be a variety of issues. It is better to use the 64-bit version on 64-bit Linux if available and in this case it is.

Your links are about running 32-bit Windows applications on 64-bit Windows and not about Linux.

That is the problem, you are trying to run a build of SeaMonkey made for 32-bit Linux on a 64-bit Linux distro and do not have the appropriate libraries installed.

I gave you a link to the 64-bit version of SeaMonkey 2.49.4 for 64-bit Linux though it is still only available as en-US. You may be able to use Language Packs to make the menus be in another language.

Here is the link again https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/seamonkey/releases/2.49.4/linux-x86_64/en-US/

The 32-bit version is https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/seamonkey/releases/2.49.4/linux-i686/ which is what you have been trying to run.


I am ALWAYS willing to be educated, and you've convinced me I've made a fundamental error. Thanks! I've installed the 64 bit binary to which you directed me (again!), and now "./seamonkey" launches the application just as I thought it should.

For your help, and patience, I thank you!

t.
======================
Tom Cloyd / Spokane, WA, USA
======================

LordOfTheBored
 
Posts: 280
Joined: December 7th, 2005, 8:36 pm

Post Posted March 14th, 2019, 11:23 pm

I had that problem once. "File not found" is an exceptionally unhelpful error for "running a 32-bit program in a 64-bit system".

therube

User avatar
 
Posts: 19691
Joined: March 10th, 2004, 9:59 pm
Location: Maryland USA

Post Posted March 16th, 2019, 8:46 am

So you're saying that the (clear as mud) "No such file or directory" was not applying to the existence of "seamonkey", but rather lack of existence of support libraries in the OS.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

Return to SeaMonkey Support


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest