A Standalone Backup of Email Folders

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Dritz

A Standalone Backup of Email Folders

Post by Dritz »

Hi,
I know that my SM Profile includes all my email folders and contents and I do periodically back those up. But, I have been accumulating so much over the many years I have been using SM that I'm a little nervous about relying on that forever and subsequently concerned that I'll lose them all. I've already got a honked up Password Manager from all the updates so my concern may be warranted. I'm wondering if there's a good (and hopefully easy) way to get a separate file copy of all the contents in my email folders. It's not that I want to print them to have hard copies (I'd have to kill a few Redwoods for that), I just am hoping for a separate copy that is a standalone and not part of SM in case at some point I need to refer to them. Or am I dreaming the impossible dream? :wink:
hardys

Re: A Standalone Backup of Email Folders

Post by hardys »

You can copy the mail folder from your Seamonkey profile to another hard drive,
Or to be sure, you can copy your entire Profile to another hard drive so in an emergency you can restore everything (passwords, bookmarks, mails etc)
Dritz

Post by Dritz »

I guess I'm missing something. I see the Mail folder under my profile and when I look into that folder, see folder names for example but I can't look at the contents. What should I be using to view the emails? I was hoping to be able to look at them outside of SM. I do back up my profile so that's taken care of at least.
amrad

Post by amrad »

In Windows Explorer, open your mail file(s) in a text editor such as Notepad or Wordpad.

Regards,

Dave.
Dritz

Post by Dritz »

amrad wrote:In Windows Explorer, open your mail file(s) in a text editor such as Notepad or Wordpad.

Regards,

Dave.
I am able to use Notepad and Wordpad to open the mail files but it's mostly a ton of extraneous letters and such. It's not like I can look at the original email content, date, or even see much of the email itself except pieces that I can pull from all the other letter garbage. It's pretty useless so perhaps this is an impossible request?
amrad

Post by amrad »

@ Dritz,

I don't know of an application that will back-up your mail files and let you read them in the same way as you can in SeaMonkey. Personally, I don't have a problem viewing mail in a text editor.

Regards,

Dave.
Dritz

Post by Dritz »

Dave, I didn't really expect to see a duplicate of the emails but did hope to see the basic contents. I guess I'm just special, not being able to see them like you can. Oh well, I guess I should just give up.

Debbie
therube

Post by therube »

(The two of you are running older SeaMonkey. And while 2.49.4 is still old, you still should at the least update to it, https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript