storage.vacuum.last parameters

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
webmoebius

storage.vacuum.last parameters

Post by webmoebius »

I noticed that within Seamonkey about:config parameters, there are the two parameters of:

storage.vacuum.last.index
storage.vacuum.last.places.sqlite

Can someone tell me what these parameters are for? In a slightly related matter, I recall there was a VACUUM command that could be used somehow to perform maintenance on the places.sqlite SQL database, but I don't quite have the correct syntax / procedure to use it. I believe it was to be executed in the Seamonkey error console.

To date I have always used SQLite Manager 0.83 extension to compact SQL databases in SM and this works with Firefox-ESR 52.9 as well. However, starting with Firefox-ESR 60.X releases, that SQL-Lite Manager extension is no longer compatible with FF to run maintenance on SQLite databases so I am also looking for another similar solution as an extension install for this purpose.
therube

Re: storage.vacuum.last parameters

Post by therube »

FF should vacuum itself, periodically.
You can use SQLite to manually vacuum.

SQLITE.vacuum.bat:

Code: Select all

dir  *.sqlite  >  b4.sqlite.vacuum.TXT
echo "-------" >> b4.sqlite.vacuum.TXT

for  %%i in (*.sqlite) do (sqlite3.exe %%i vacuum)

dir  *.sqlite  >> b4.sqlite.vacuum.TXT

pause
exit

:: also if you sqlite3.exe {filename}
::         you can type "VACUUM;"  at
::         the prompt & it will do it
::         interactively

(If you're actually using FF 53, you'd be far better off, security-wise, using 52.9 ESR instead.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
webmoebius

Post by webmoebius »

Thanks for that Windows batch file code. I guess the part that I'm not sure about is where does the executable file SQLITE3.EXE come from and where would I obtain that file? I actually do recall that I read some time ago that the VACUUM function does automatically take place occasionally on SM and FF, but I would prefer to be able to initiate it manually on command. I'm not even sure what criteria / condition triggers the auto vacuum function.

As for the browser I'm using to post to this thread, it's actually Seamonkey 2.49.4, with a USER AGENT string manual override whose purpose was to deal with a particular web site that I need it for regularly. I do in fact have Firefox-ESR 52.9 installed, which is the last available version compatible on this computer's operating system version, though I have recently set up Firefox-ESR 60.6 on another computer with a later version of Windows. I only use FF-ESR releases and not usually the general consumer releases.
therube

Post by therube »

where does the executable file SQLITE3.EXE come from and where would I obtain that file?
Linked above -> Downloads.
(After that, sqlite3.exe has to be somewhere where it can be found or pointed to, so like in your %PATH%, or in the current directory that you're running the vacuum from, or...)
manual override whose purpose was to deal with a particular web site that I need it for regularly
Might be better to set an individual override for that particular website.

Code: Select all

general.useragent.override.partcularwebsite.com;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:99.9) Gecko/20190201 Surelyyoujest/99.9
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript