MozillaZine

Cookies

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
WaltP

Post Posted July 6th, 2019, 1:14 am

I attempted a search, but the first screen only had pages on how to bake cookies. Not really helpful.

Ever since I got on Win10, sites have been telling me they use cookies. Like I don't know this. When I go into cookie manager, I have 5 choices:
1) Block cookies from this website
2) Use default cookie permissions (selected)
3) Allow session cookies from this website
4) Allow cookies from this website
5) Manage stored cookies
and none of them seem to be helpful globally.

When I choose #5 the Data Manager usually comes up with cookies greyed out. Totally useless. As I scroll through the list on the left, sometimes (rarely) cookies light up.

Where are all the settings for cookies? How can I get these websites to stop harping about cookies? How do I get sites that need to remember cookies to remember them?

Walt
ver 2.49.3

Frank Lion

Post Posted July 6th, 2019, 2:10 am

WaltP wrote:How can I get these websites to stop harping about cookies?

Globally, under Edit> Preferences, set cookies for 'Accept for current session only'. I personally also have 'Allow third party cookies for previously visited websites only' checked as well.

WaltP wrote:How do I get sites that need to remember cookies to remember them?

When on the website page, left click the content and select Page Info (you can also left click the addressbar favicon). On the Page Info window select Permissions and change the cookie permissions for that site from Default to Allow.

I chose the above method as it involves the very minimum of effort by me, whilst ensuring that my browsing isn't disrupted and that websites are not allowed to build up any sort of tracking record on me. I also only have just 2 websites that are allowed to set on-going cookies.
Last edited by Frank Lion on July 6th, 2019, 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Metal Lion latest SeaMonkey & Thunderbird Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

TPR75

Post Posted July 6th, 2019, 2:19 am

WaltP wrote:Where are all the settings for cookies? How can I get these websites to stop harping about cookies? How do I get sites that need to remember cookies to remember them?

Some time ago SeaMonkey dropped (like Fx) easy management of 3rd-party cookies and now you have practically two options: allow all and block all.

I'm using Cookie Monster v1.3.4.8 extension. It's not available anymore from official source (developer canceled project) but you can try mine, converted and modded for SeaMonkey:
viewtopic.php?p=14823094#p14823094

It's working with 2.49.x and 2.53 version of SeaMonkey.

Frank Lion wrote:When on the website page, left click the content and select Page Info (you can also left click the address bar favicon). On the Page Info window select Permissions and change the cookie permissions for that site from Default to Allow.

But it will not work for 3rd-party cookies, unfortunately.

frg

Post Posted July 6th, 2019, 3:52 am

I did set "Allow cookies for the originating website only" and "Accept for current session only" globally. All gone when I close SeaMonkey.

Put the link to the old cookie viewer chrome://communicator/content/permissions/cookieViewer.xul in the toolbar and now and then just blow away all cookies mid session when I feel like it. With the data manager you can also define exceptions.

WaltP

Post Posted July 7th, 2019, 1:01 am

Frank Lion wrote:Globally, under Edit> Preferences, set cookies for 'Accept for current session only'.

Doesn't this setting throw away the cookie once Seamonkey is closed?

Frank Lion wrote:I personally also have 'Allow third party cookies for previously visited websites only' checked as well.

I don't think I understand what this setting does. Sounds like I have to visit a site twice before 3rd party cookies are stored. True?

TPR75 wrote:I'm using Cookie Monster v1.3.4.8 extension. It's not available anymore from official source (developer canceled project) but you can try mine, converted and modded for SeaMonkey:
viewtopic.php?p=14823094#p14823094

I'm so sick of "extensions". Especially the ones that only diddle with config values that you can't change yourself anymore. Give us back the settings as we had before extensions took over. Extensions work, then they stop working so you don't have your settings for a while, then they're back in a different extension. What a pain!

Frank Lion

Post Posted July 7th, 2019, 2:40 am

WaltP wrote:
Frank Lion wrote:Globally, under Edit> Preferences, set cookies for 'Accept for current session only'.

Doesn't this setting throw away the cookie...

Usually when someone asks about cookies they are after some control of the situation and hence all 3 replies above.

It seems that doesn't apply to you and you only want websites to stop bugging you and nothing else. I thought this was the standard default setting, but never mind. So...

#1. Go to Edit > Preferences > Privacy & Security > Cookies.

#2. Check the 'Allow all cookies' and 'Accept cookies normally' boxes.

#3. You're done.
Last edited by Frank Lion on July 8th, 2019, 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Metal Lion latest SeaMonkey & Thunderbird Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

WaltP

Post Posted July 7th, 2019, 1:38 pm

I'll give that a try. Thanks, Frank.

Although you are correct in assuming I don't want to be bugged anymore, I do have one site that I have to keep validating myself because on that site only it seems the cookies get erased. I'll see what happens now.

WaltP

Post Posted July 7th, 2019, 2:29 pm

OK, I give up. I need an explanation of how cookies work.

Currently, for this site (mozillaZine) I have to log in each and every time.
1) I click LOGIN
2) Username has my ID ready to be chosen
3) Password is automatically filled in
4) I check "Log me on automatically..."
5) Click on Login

6) Click on Logout
7) Close mozillaZine tab

8) Open "http://forums.mozillazine.org"
I expect to be logged in automatically
No dice. I am forced to login again

Cookie settings from Edit/Preferances/Privacy.../Cookies
-- Allow all cookies
-- Accept cookies normally

From Tools/Cookie Manager
-- selected: Use default cookie permissions

I just logged in and Cookie Manager has stored
Code: Select all
   Website                   Cookie  Name           Expires
   forums.mozillazine.org    style_cookie           Monday,  July  6, 2020 4:11:06 PM
   forums.mozillazine.org    phpbb3-mzforum23_u     Monday,  July  6, 2020 4:11:00 PM
   forums.mozillazine.org    phpbb3-mzforum23_sid   Monday,  July  6, 2020 4:11:00 PM
   forums.mozillazine.org    phpbb3-mzforum23_k     Monday,  July  6, 2020 4:11:00 PM
   mozillazine.org           _utmz                  Monday,  January 6, 2020 3:11:06 AM
   mozillazine.org           _utmy                  Sunday,  July  7, 2019 4:12:38 PM
   mozillazine.org           _utmt                  Sunday,  July  7, 2019 4:13:31 PM
   mozillazine.org           _utmc                  At  end of session
   mozillazine.org           _utmb                  Sunday,  July  7, 2019 4:41:06 PM
   mozillazine.org           _utma                  Tuesday, July  6, 2021 4:11:06 PM

Logout, close tab, open "http://forums.mozillazine.org" again. Nothing has changed in the cookie manager except the times.

Version 2.49.3
Windows 10

What's next?

Walt

Frank Lion

Post Posted July 7th, 2019, 3:21 pm

WaltP wrote: 6) Click on Logout

Don't.

If things worked as you think then no one could ever log out of any webpage, because the cookies would override that action.

In addition to their tracking and spying duties, cookies also 'remember' your website preferences. If that preference is to be logged-out, then that's what they'll remember.

Maybe try a basic search-engine search or Wikipedia for 'cookies' next time?

LordOfTheBored

Post Posted July 7th, 2019, 10:41 pm

"Log me in automatically" means that IF YOU DON'T EXPLICITLY LOG OUT then the site will remember you the next time you connect to it.
It is, perhaps, a misleading label.

James

Post Posted July 7th, 2019, 11:33 pm

WaltP wrote: 6) Click on Logout
7) Close mozillaZine tab

8) Open "http://forums.mozillazine.org"
I expect to be logged in automatically
No dice. I am forced to login again

What do you think "Logout" means if you expect to be logged in the next time you came to forums.mozillazine.org

rdtom

Post Posted July 8th, 2019, 1:29 pm

WaltP wrote:Currently, for this site (mozillaZine) I have to log in each and every time.

You don't have to be logged in to view this site (mozillaZine).
If you are not logged in user agent is not displayed at the bottom of the post.
You have to be logged in to reply to posts.

WaltP

Post Posted July 9th, 2019, 9:34 am

James wrote:What do you think "Logout" means if you expect to be logged in the next time you came to forums.mozillazine.org

Simple
"Logout" this session.
"Login" new session next time I visit
That's what the words tell me.

rdtom wrote:You don't have to be logged in to view this site (mozillaZine).
If you are not logged in user agent is not displayed at the bottom of the post.
You have to be logged in to reply to posts.

Well aware of that, simply by entering the site. And all other sites that allow posting.

As it is, I may have gotten it sorted out. Than you, Frank. It was the "Accept ALL cookies", I can't just accept cookies from a site, even though that's what I want. To me this is weird, but OK.

Return to SeaMonkey Support