Cannot Access many Websites with Seamonkey

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
krjarman

Cannot Access many Websites with Seamonkey

Post by krjarman »

I am being rejected from several Websites that I use frequently, stating that my SeaMonkey Browser is no longer accepted. One sites says: "Firefox 52.0 won't work with this site". One of the sites rejecting SeaMonkey 2.49.4, is Chase.com, another site is retiree.aon.com, another is 4myhr.com. Also, my login.morganstanleyclientserv.com/ux/, is warning me to upgrade stating: "Please Upgrade Your Browser.
For your security, Morgan Stanley recommends using an upgraded browser. Please note that Morgan Stanley Online will not support this browser in the near future." Are other people having this problem and is SeaMonkey working to stay up with the technology?
kerft

Re: Cannot Access many Websites with Seamonkey

Post by kerft »

Most sites do not use any new features or technologies, they complain because they don't care about users of less popular browsers and can't detect when those are up to date or not. Seamonkey does not need to do anything, most of those sites will work if you spoof your user agent to pretend to be modern firefox.
Go to the address about:config, set general.useragent.override.chase.com , and general.useragent.override.aon.com, etc to:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/68.0
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

krjarman wrote:I am being rejected from several Websites
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14835497
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Frank, your instructions have the Windows and FireFox parameters set to different numbers than what Kerft says.

Is this a problem?

Thanks.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Peter Creasey wrote:Is this a problem?
No, see the Notes section on that link.

Essentially, try to stick to the UA of the Operating System you are on (and its version) and to a browser UA not far from SeaMonkey.

For example, Google sites will break for a SM user if you use a Internet Explorer UA, but not if you use a Firefox one. Then again, I know of at least one website that will not show right if you don't use a Chrome UA. So, some trial and error may be needed on the browser UA side.

In most cases, there is no 'stay up with the technology' side to this, websites just set a cautious minimum compatibility level to cover themselves.

Useful link for finding suitable UAs - here
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)