MozillaZine

Seamonkey Mailbox Spell Checking

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
thefillanator
 
Posts: 25
Joined: January 3rd, 2008, 7:19 pm

Post Posted July 8th, 2019, 6:08 pm

Hi;

I noticed that when I'm typing an Email with Seamoney 2.49.4 it's not noting
the spelling mistakes. When I went to check the setting I noticed i don't have
a dictionary of any kind installed.

I was wondering if someone could help me with the steps needed to install a dictionary
for the Mailbox Spell checking.

I do have spell checking for word (Just thought i'd add that in case it was questioned).

Appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks
Phil

hardys
 
Posts: 126
Joined: August 7th, 2015, 9:15 am

Post Posted July 9th, 2019, 12:15 am

Please chose and install from this dictionaries here:
https://addons.thunderbird.net/de/seamonkey/language-tools/

TPR75
 
Posts: 745
Joined: July 25th, 2011, 8:11 am
Location: Poland

Post Posted July 9th, 2019, 12:17 am

thefillanator wrote:I noticed that when I'm typing an Email with Seamoney 2.49.4 it's not noting
the spelling mistakes. When I went to check the setting I noticed i don't have
a dictionary of any kind installed.


There must be at least one dictionary in SeaMonkey, default for installer language (e.g. en_US for English).

User must choose when and where to use it:
1) Menu -> Edit -> Preferences -> Appearance -> Spelling

Image

2) If you have more then one dictionary you can choose/change it during typing an e-mail message or a post on forum

Image

Image

thefillanator wrote:I was wondering if someone could help me with the steps needed to install a dictionary
for the Mailbox Spell checking.


If you need additional dictionary for language different than SeaMonkey installer offers then you need:
1) dictionary extension for particular language, e.g. US English:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... /versions/
For SeaMonkey 2.49.x you need older non-webext extension.
2) get dictionary files from other sources e.g. LibreOffice:
https://extensions.libreoffice.org/exte ... ctionaries
Download "dict-en-20190701.oxt" (or newer) file. Unpack it with e.g. 7-Zip to new folder. Search for two files: "en_US.aff" and "en_US.dic" (if you want US English). Copy them to "c:\Program Files (x86)\SeaMonkey\dictionaries\" folder (where should be at least two files for default language).

When done make choices described in first part above.

TPR75
 
Posts: 745
Joined: July 25th, 2011, 8:11 am
Location: Poland

Post Posted July 9th, 2019, 4:29 am

TPR75 wrote:
thefillanator wrote:I was wondering if someone could help me with the steps needed to install a dictionary
for the Mailbox Spell checking.


If you need additional dictionary for language different than SeaMonkey installer offers then you need:
1) dictionary extension for particular language, e.g. US English:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... /versions/
For SeaMonkey 2.49.x you need older non-webext extension.


SeaMonkey 2.49.x/2.53 doesn't use webext extensions but such extension can be used to extract "AFF" and "DIC" files. Search some dictionary extension, e.g. for German (de-DE) language:
https://addons.thunderbird.net/seamonke ... ictionary/

Click RMB (Right Mouse Button) on "Add to SeaMonkey", choose "Save Link Target" and save XPI file on a disk. Using e.g. 7-Zip treat it as an ZIP file and extract it to a new folder. In subfolder "dictionaries" should be "AFF" and "DIC" files. Copy them to "c:\Program Files (x86)\SeaMonkey\dictionaries\" (for 32-bit SeaMonkey under 64-bit Windows OS) or "c:\Program Files\SeaMonkey\dictionaries\" (for 32-bit SeaMonkey under 32-bit Windows OS and 64-bit SeaMonkey under 64-bit Windows OS).

EDIT: Installed extension is available to one profile only. "AFF"/"DIC" files placed in program's folder "dictionaries" will be available for all profiles.

EDIT 2: SeaMonkey must be restarted to make new dictionaries visible for SM.

Return to SeaMonkey Support


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests