User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
thefillanator

Seamonkey Mailbox Spell Checking

Post by thefillanator »

Hi;

I noticed that when I'm typing an Email with Seamoney 2.49.4 it's not noting
the spelling mistakes. When I went to check the setting I noticed i don't have
a dictionary of any kind installed.

I was wondering if someone could help me with the steps needed to install a dictionary
for the Mailbox Spell checking.

I do have spell checking for word (Just thought i'd add that in case it was questioned).

Appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks
Phil
hardys

Re: Seamonkey Mailbox Spell Checking

Post by hardys »

Please chose and install from this dictionaries here:
https://addons.thunderbird.net/de/seamo ... age-tools/
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

thefillanator wrote:I noticed that when I'm typing an Email with Seamoney 2.49.4 it's not noting
the spelling mistakes. When I went to check the setting I noticed i don't have
a dictionary of any kind installed.
There must be at least one dictionary in SeaMonkey, default for installer language (e.g. en_US for English).

User must choose when and where to use it:
1) Menu -> Edit -> Preferences -> Appearance -> Spelling

2) If you have more then one dictionary you can choose/change it during typing an e-mail message or a post on forum

thefillanator wrote:I was wondering if someone could help me with the steps needed to install a dictionary
If you need additional dictionary for language different than SeaMonkey installer offers then you need:
1) dictionary extension for particular language, e.g. US English:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... /versions/
For SeaMonkey 2.49.x you need older non-webext extension.
2) get dictionary files from other sources e.g. LibreOffice:
https://extensions.libreoffice.org/exte ... ctionaries
Download "dict-en-20190701.oxt" (or newer) file. Unpack it with e.g. 7-Zip to new folder. Search for two files: "en_US.aff" and "en_US.dic" (if you want US English). Copy them to "c:\Program Files (x86)\SeaMonkey\dictionaries\" folder (where should be at least two files for default language).

When done make choices described in first part above.
--
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

TPR75 wrote:
thefillanator wrote:I was wondering if someone could help me with the steps needed to install a dictionary
If you need additional dictionary for language different than SeaMonkey installer offers then you need:
1) dictionary extension for particular language, e.g. US English:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... /versions/
For SeaMonkey 2.49.x you need older non-webext extension.
SeaMonkey 2.49.x/2.53 doesn't use webext extensions but such extension can be used to extract "AFF" and "DIC" files. Search some dictionary extension, e.g. for German (de-DE) language:
https://addons.thunderbird.net/seamonke ... ictionary/

Click RMB (Right Mouse Button) on "Add to SeaMonkey", choose "Save Link Target" and save XPI file on a disk. Using e.g. 7-Zip treat it as an ZIP file and extract it to a new folder. In subfolder "dictionaries" should be "AFF" and "DIC" files. Copy them to "c:\Program Files (x86)\SeaMonkey\dictionaries\" (for 32-bit SeaMonkey under 64-bit Windows OS) or "c:\Program Files\SeaMonkey\dictionaries\" (for 32-bit SeaMonkey under 32-bit Windows OS and 64-bit SeaMonkey under 64-bit Windows OS).

EDIT: Installed extension is available to one profile only. "AFF"/"DIC" files placed in program's folder "dictionaries" will be available for all profiles.

EDIT 2: SeaMonkey must be restarted to make new dictionaries visible for SM.
--
thefillanator

Post by thefillanator »

Hi;
Firstly .... thank you for your replies

I'll give the steps you gave me a shot and as to the statment "there must be one dictionary"
well, when I go to Preferences .... Appearance .... Spelling .... and then go to the language selection, it is empty as
mother hubbardsd cupboard .... it does have "Download more Dictionaries". I hit that and select British English,
then go into limbo. Do I need to be logged on as well, it gives me options as to which browser and how to install it
but SEAMONKEY is not one of them. When I tried to follow the sample above, I got to the same point.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

thefillanator wrote:I'll give the steps you gave me a shot and as to the statment "there must be one dictionary"
well, when I go to Preferences .... Appearance .... Spelling .... and then go to the language selection, it is empty as
mother hubbardsd cupboard .... it does have "Download more Dictionaries". I hit that and select British English,
then go into limbo.
Say... You didn't read my previous message, did you?

You can't just download dictionaries because they are web extensions (right now) which are not compatible with SeaMonkey. You must download and save to file, extract from it and then copy to adequate place.
--
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

TPR75 wrote:
thefillanator wrote:I'll give the steps you gave me a shot and as to the statment "there must be one dictionary"
then go into limbo.
Say... You didn't read my previous message, did you?

You can't just download dictionaries because they are web extensions (right now) which are not compatible with SeaMonkey. You must download and save to file, extract from it and then copy to adequate place.
  • Image You should follow, the instructions given to you by TPR75, in their previous message:
    TPR75 wrote: Click RMB (Right Mouse Button) on "Add to SeaMonkey", choose "Save Link Target" and save XPI file on a disk. Using e.g. 7-Zip treat it as an ZIP file and extract it to a new folder. In subfolder "dictionaries" should be "AFF" and "DIC" files. Copy them to "c:\Program Files (x86)\SeaMonkey\dictionaries\" (for 32-bit SeaMonkey under 64-bit Windows OS) or "c:\Program Files\SeaMonkey\dictionaries\" (for 32-bit SeaMonkey under 32-bit Windows OS and 64-bit SeaMonkey under 64-bit Windows OS).

EDIT: Installed extension is available to one profile only. "AFF"/"DIC" files placed in program's folder "dictionaries" will be available for all profiles.

EDIT 2: SeaMonkey must be restarted to make new dictionaries visible for SM.

Or you can review this other thread with another feasible solution:
  • Missing dictionary No spell checker

Cheers!! Image
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240318 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.2
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240416 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

ElTxolo wrote:You should follow, the instructions given to you by TPR75, in their previous message
Who's "their". "His" fits better... :lol:
ElTxolo wrote:Or you can review this other thread with another feasible solution:
[*]Missing dictionary No spell checker
Latest extension compatible with SeaMoneky is 2.68:
https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/se ... rsion-2.68
--
thefillanator

Post by thefillanator »

Hi;
I think I'm gonna have to owe someone either a good steak or box of phenomenal chocolates.
So TPR 75. l I go to the point where I ended up in the DICTIONARIES folder and had four files in it
as follow;

en-CA.aff
en-CA
README-en-CA
README-FIREFOX

As you can see there are no .DIC files.

I tried it a couple of times just in case I missed a step but didn't get any further ahead.

sigh sigh sigh :(

Can't SM come up with the next version with a built in dictionary?
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

thefillanator wrote: So TPR 75. l I go to the point where I ended up in the DICTIONARIES folder and had four files in it
as follow;

en-CA.aff
en-CA
README-en-CA
README-FIREFOX

As you can see there are no .DIC files.
You can download Canadian English dictionary from there:
https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/se ... /versions/
(click RMB on "Add to Seamonkey", choose "Save Link Target As..." and save it where you want/can).

Latest file is "canadian_english_dictionary-3.1.0.xpi" and after extraction you should have four files inside of "canadian_english_dictionary-3.1.0.xpi/dictionaries" folder:
en-CA.aff
en-CA.dic
README-en-CA.txt
README-FIREFOX.txt

Files' extensions can be seen if your operating system is set to do this (by default Windows is hiding extensions).

You need AFF and DIC files only. Copy them to SeaMonkey folder as it was described above.
--
thefillanator

Post by thefillanator »

Thank you ....
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

thefillanator wrote:Thank you ....
You're welcome! 8-)

BTW There is new official SeaMonkey 2.49.5:
https://www.seamonkey-project.org/relea ... key2.49.5/
--
thefillanator

Post by thefillanator »

Hi, yes I just saw 2.49.5 and this one I loaded it up and it included a Dictionary with the Seamonkey Mail.