Bookmarks open in existing tab instead of new

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
videobruce

Re: Bookmarks open in existing tab instead of new

Post by videobruce »

Another one of many STUPID mistakes. :evil:
Browsers that don't have a conventional horizontal Menu bar (where it's been for 25 years) are poorly designed. Period. Stop 'fixing' something that isn't broke!
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

rereser wrote:https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=755593
tabs below the website is no longer available as an option.
That bug is not for tabs below a website, it is a bug for removing the tabs below other toolbars (see the Diff coding)

It was a change that was very easily and quickly reverted using userChrome.css in Firefox. It was never a problem for SeaMonkey users as the default has remained as 'Tabs on Bottom'.

Which begs the question - why are you discussing this in our SeaMonkey forums?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
videobruce

Post by videobruce »

Because it's SM that is the browser in question with the problem(s).
It was never a problem for SeaMonkey users as the default has remained as 'Tabs on Bottom'.
Then why can't I get the tab bar "on the bottom" below the web page?
Browsers that don't have a conventional horizontal Menu bar (where it's been for 25 years) are poorly designed. Period. Stop 'fixing' something that isn't broke!
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

videobruce wrote:Then why can't I get the tab bar "on the bottom" below the web page?
Err, again, 'tabs on bottom' means below the other toolbars.
videobruce wrote:Another one of many STUPID mistakes. :evil:
How about you tone down the attitude here.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
videobruce

Post by videobruce »

Not in my book as rereser already stated the location.
I'm sure you remember 15 or so plus years ago most, if not all browsers had the tab bar was at the bottom of the window including Idiot Exploiter. It's only in the past 10 or so years M$ decided to change things and all the 'sheep' followed.

Below and bottom are not the same thing.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

videobruce wrote:
Not in my book as rereser already stated the location..
Well, your book is wrong then, as is your knowledge about the history of IE6 and IE7 as well.

Reckon I might know what the term means though - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p13507367

Which kind of means 'don't piss on my boots and tell me it's raining, chum'.

You want to ask about having tabs below content then ask, but don't make out that 'tabs on bottom' is the same, as it will only confuse people.
Last edited by Frank Lion on July 18th, 2019, 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
videobruce

Post by videobruce »

Then a hell of a lot of other 'books' of others are wrong also that refused to move past FF 52 & v56 with the lack of extensions that revert back to the 'classic' look and feel including classic Opera v12.18 (which didn't need many of those extensions).

Below can mean many locations, "bottom" only means one no matter how much 'code' it took. AFA Idiot Exploiter, no matter what version they all sucked, I stopped using that almost 20 years ago.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

videobruce wrote:AFA Idiot Exploiter, no matter what version they all sucked, I stopped using that almost 20 years ago.
So why mention them at all? -
videobruce wrote:I'm sure you remember 15 or so plus years ago most, if not all browsers had the tab bar was at the bottom of the window including Idiot Exploiter. It's only in the past 10 or so years M$ decided to change things and all the 'sheep' followed.
I'll leave you to it, reading your ramblings is a waste of my time.
LordOfTheBored

Post by LordOfTheBored »

videobruce wrote:
Not in my book as rereser already stated the location.
I'm sure you remember 15 or so plus years ago most, if not all browsers had the tab bar was at the bottom of the window including Idiot Exploiter. It's only in the past 10 or so years M$ decided to change things and all the 'sheep' followed.

Below and bottom are not the same thing.
Most browsers meaning Opera and Opera(once Opera actually implemented tabs and quit using a multiple-document view)?

I DO remember 20 years ago when tabbed browsing was new. I used the Multizilla extension for a long time, which was how we used to get tabs before tabs were integrated into Mozilla, as it the suite was known at the time(not the first, but the best!). And then Firefox forked and inherited our tabs.
Internet Explorer put tabs at the top of the content once MS finally got around to adding them in 7. You can do an image search for "internet explorer 7" if you don't believe me. IE was never a leader in browser development. If we were lucky, they were copying Netscape, Mozilla, or Firefox(no one was copying Opera, because no one cared about Opera except Opera fans). If we were unlucky, they were doing nothing at all. More often than not, they were doing nothing at all.

Tabs have almost always been above the content and below the toolbar, because it is where they belong. Just like in every other tabbed window ever since operating systems started supporting tabbed windows.