AdGuard and seamonkey 2.49.4 Certificate problem

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
finn111

AdGuard and seamonkey 2.49.4 Certificate problem

Post by finn111 »

I installed AdGuard and it blocked all web sites. I tried to re-install the Network-Certificate and that didn't work. I had to uncheck Filter HTTPS Protocol to get it working. I don't want to keep it that way obviously. I contacted AdGuard and they sent this email reply below.

This issue occurs sometimes. In order to solve the problem, please go to AdGuard > Settings > Network and click on Reinstall certificate.

In case it doesn't help - kindly refer to the instruction in our knowledge base:
https://kb.adguard.com/en/windows/solvi ... ot-trusted

These instructions are about using About:preferences#advanced settings which are for Firefox. Is there equivalent instructions for SeaMonkey?

Has anyone used AdGuard. I had to switch because (Ad block Plus) no longer supports SeaMonkey and adds started pouring in.I think they disabled Ad Block Plus some how.

Unfortunately the instructions are for Firefox. I replied to them about that and requested instructions for SeaMonkey.
Brummelchen

Re: AdGuard and seamonkey 2.49.4 Certificate problem

Post by Brummelchen »

Adguard for windows is a program. So what is the exact message from sm?
Adguard for browser is an extension and dont need a cert.
LordOfTheBored

Post by LordOfTheBored »

finn111 wrote:I installed AdGuard and it blocked all web sites. I tried to re-install the Network-Certificate and that didn't work. I had to uncheck Filter HTTPS Protocol to get it working. I don't want to keep it that way obviously. I contacted AdGuard and they sent this email reply below.

This issue occurs sometimes. In order to solve the problem, please go to AdGuard > Settings > Network and click on Reinstall certificate.

In case it doesn't help - kindly refer to the instruction in our knowledge base:
https://kb.adguard.com/en/windows/solvi ... ot-trusted

These instructions are about using About:preferences#advanced settings which are for Firefox. Is there equivalent instructions for SeaMonkey?

Has anyone used AdGuard. I had to switch because (Ad block Plus) no longer supports SeaMonkey and adds started pouring in.I think they disabled Ad Block Plus some how.

Unfortunately the instructions are for Firefox. I replied to them about that and requested instructions for SeaMonkey.
I don't know for sure how to fix this, and would be hesitant to do so since what they are asking you to intentionally enable a man-in-the-middle attack on all encrypted communications.
If you do what they ask of you, then anything that claims to be a secure connection will not be. And this is by design.

So... do you trust AdGuard's providers with your credit card information, usernames, passwords, every search you make, the full contents of every website you view, and the ability to make arbitrary changes to all content on every website you view, transparently to you? Because that's what they are asking you to give them. Full, unfettered access to everything you do on the web.
And do you trust them to keep their systems secure so no one else can claim that power for themselves? Because it isn't like security certificates have never been stolen before, from people using real certificate authorities with documented and verifiable attempts at security. And AdGuard's certificate is self-signed and carries no promises of authenticity or security.

I am very negative on any "security" software that asks you to install a self-signed certificate to enable eavesdropping. And that they do not explain what it is they are asking you to do, even in friendly marketing terms, is incredibly dubious.

What I DO know is that uBlock Origin works, and does so without breaking fundamental security features, because it is the adblocker I have installed currently.
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/relea ... -1.16.4.11 is the release version you want.
finn111

Post by finn111 »

LordOfTheBored wrote:
finn111 wrote:I installed AdGuard and it blocked all web sites. I tried to re-install the Network-Certificate and that didn't work. I had to uncheck Filter HTTPS Protocol to get it working. I don't want to keep it that way obviously. I contacted AdGuard and they sent this email reply below.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://kb.adguard.com/en/windows/solvi ... dows/solvi ... ot-trusted</a><!-- m -->

I don't know for sure how to fix this, and would be hesitant to do so since what they are asking you to intentionally enable a man-in-the-middle attack on all encrypted communications.
If you do what they ask of you, then anything that claims to be a secure connection will not be. And this is by design.

So... do you trust AdGuard's providers with your credit card information, usernames, passwords, every search you make, the full contents of every website you view, and the ability to make arbitrary changes to all content on every website you view, transparently to you? Because that's what they are asking you to give them. Full, unfettered access to everything you do on the web.
And do you trust them to keep their systems secure so no one else can claim that power for themselves? Because it isn't like security certificates have never been stolen before, from people using real certificate authorities with documented and verifiable attempts at security. And AdGuard's certificate is self-signed and carries no promises of authenticity or security.

I am very negative on any "security" software that asks you to install a self-signed certificate to enable eavesdropping. And that they do not explain what it is they are asking you to do, even in friendly marketing terms, is incredibly dubious.

What I DO know is that uBlock Origin works, and does so without breaking fundamental security features, because it is the adblocker I have installed currently.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/relea ... lock/relea ... -1.16.4.11</a><!-- m --> is the release version you want.
Thank you very much. Ublock installed and working great!!!