MozillaZine

check for updates not working?

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
brynn

Post Posted August 18th, 2019, 3:46 am

Hi Friends,
I'm having some strange behavior in my browser (SM 2.49.1) and I guess my first troubleshooting step should be to upgrade to the current version. So I've downloaded 2.49.4, and about to uninstall then reinstall.

But just the other day I was wondering why I've never, since I first started using SM a couple of years ago, been notified about an update or upgrade. To be honest, the unreasonably frequent upgrades of Firefox is one of the main reasons I switched to SeaMonkey. So I'm happy not to be bothered with it. But there have not been any upgrades in the last couple of years.

I checked my settings, and it's set to check for updates. I assume that means it would notify me of updates, but I haven't seen any notifications. I only found out there's a new version because I went to the website and compared version numbers. So unless the version numbers skipped a point, there have been 3.

Maybe I don't understand that option (Preferences > Advanced > Software Installation > Sea Monkey) ? Or is there another option for upgrading somewhere? Maybe I accidentally have it turned off?

I'm on Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit, if it matters for this question. To be clear, the question is how do I set up SM to notify me when there's an upgrade or update?

Thanks!

ElTxolo

Post Posted August 18th, 2019, 4:08 am

brynn wrote:.... But just the other day I was wondering why I've never, since I first started using SM a couple of years ago, been notified about an update or upgrade. To be honest, the unreasonably frequent upgrades of Firefox is one of the main reasons I switched to SeaMonkey. So I'm happy not to be bothered with it. But there have not been any upgrades in the last couple of years.

I checked my settings, and it's set to check for updates. I assume that means it would notify me of updates, but I haven't seen any notifications. I only found out there's a new version because I went to the website and compared version numbers. So unless the version numbers skipped a point, there have been 3.

Maybe I don't understand that option (Preferences > Advanced > Software Installation > Sea Monkey) ? Or is there another option for upgrading somewhere? Maybe I accidentally have it turned off?

brynn wrote:.... Thanks!

You're welcome! ;)

How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20190804 SeaMonkey/2.49.5
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20191112 SeaMonkey/2.53.1

brynn

Post Posted August 18th, 2019, 5:20 am

Hhmm.... Well I don't have automatic updates enabled. I only asked to check for updates (which I assume means notifying me). But I didn't even get notifications.

If I already uninstalled and reinstalled, rather than installing on top of previous version, am I ok? Or do I need to go back and do something different?

If I have Chatzilla installed, do I need to uninstall it as an extension and reinstall it as a plugin? I have not tried to open it since installing 2.49.4, but I still see it in the Window menu.

kerft

Post Posted August 18th, 2019, 6:42 am

Seamonkey 2.49.5 will be released "soon", but automatic updates will likely not provide it (and no notice and check for updates will not function). Upon the release of 2.53, it will likely also not be provided by automatic updates and check for updates, as it will not support Windows XP.
So, once a month or whenever you like you can go to https://www.seamonkey-project.org/ to see if a release is done, or if you want to see future progress see here https://blog.seamonkey-project.org/
When there is an update, uninstalling and reinstalling is fine, or installing over top is also fine. Neither should change your profile which is where your data stays. Even if you uninstall seamonkey, your profile data should stay in place unless you reinstall Windows etc. Chatzilla extension is part of your profile, so if it is compatible with the Seamonkey version you are running it should be fine. If it worked with 2.49.1 it should normally work with 2.49.5.

brynn

Post Posted August 18th, 2019, 7:26 am

Ok, thanks for the info :)

frg

Post Posted August 18th, 2019, 9:44 am

Updates not working means check for update will fail too. The bloomy nice version is that we going our own way independent of Mozilla who whish us all luck on the rosy way into the future.

Will probably work again one day but, as stated, probably not for any initial 2.53 or 2.49.x ever.

FRG

Return to SeaMonkey Support