A SeaMonkey Miracle?

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
oldmaven

A SeaMonkey Miracle?

Post by oldmaven »

For the past year or two, one of the mailboxes I use SeaMonkey for has been either downloading or generating duplicate messages by the hundred. Last week, I received a single message, then watched as the unread-message counter spooled up until the count reached well over 280,000--no idea how high it would have gone had I not terminated the program.

But last week, the message count dropped to <2000, with nary a duplicate in sight. That's actually fewer messages than there should have been, but it was time I weeded that inbox anyway.
DanRaisch

Re: A SeaMonkey Miracle?

Post by DanRaisch »

How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP?
If it is a POP type account, that figure of 2000 in the Inbox would be about 950 too many messages.

Do you regularly compact the message folders? Compacting is something that needs to be done regularly in any email program, particularly with POP type accounts. When done often enough, it can be an extremely fast process. Not doing so can lead to problems like those you are experiencing. See this about how to and why it's so important: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders