MozillaZine

Text not fitting in google search box

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
bigjeff66
 
Posts: 5
Joined: October 2nd, 2019, 2:57 pm

Post Posted October 28th, 2019, 5:45 pm

Recently the google search box in Seamonkey 2.49.5 has changed. When typing in box the cursor is outside and the search phrase works like a ticker tape and disappears to the left. Is there a way to fix this?
Thanks

DanRaisch
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 122204
Joined: September 23rd, 2004, 8:57 pm
Location: Somewhere on the right coast

Post Posted October 28th, 2019, 6:42 pm

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode

bigjeff66
 
Posts: 5
Joined: October 2nd, 2019, 2:57 pm

Post Posted October 28th, 2019, 7:38 pm

Yes does the same thing

frg
 
Posts: 805
Joined: December 15th, 2015, 1:20 pm

Post Posted October 29th, 2019, 1:56 am

Has been discussed a few times already. Nothing SeaMonkey can do. Google does incorrect user agent sniffing:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3050436

You need to set a custom ua.

FRG

bigjeff66
 
Posts: 5
Joined: October 2nd, 2019, 2:57 pm

Post Posted October 29th, 2019, 7:42 pm

Thanks for the link. How do I create at custom ua?

TPR75
 
Posts: 803
Joined: July 25th, 2011, 8:11 am
Location: Poland

Post Posted October 30th, 2019, 12:38 am

bigjeff66 wrote:Thanks for the link. How do I create at custom ua?


Don't "create custom UA". You must use UA that Google likes. If not latest Firefox (v70, Win10):
Code: Select all
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:70.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/70.0

... then latest Chrome (v78, Win10):
Code: Select all
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/78.0.3904.70 Safari/537.36


For Windows 7 it should be "Windows NT 6.1".

Here are hints about how to make site specific override:
viewtopic.php?p=14804588#p14804588

Remember that "site specific override" it for particular domain and Google services are in different domain names.

bigjeff66
 
Posts: 5
Joined: October 2nd, 2019, 2:57 pm

Post Posted October 30th, 2019, 7:28 pm

Did the custom UA as you suggested still the same issue. Nothing seems to change the google page. Having used google since it came out going to switch to bing or duck duck go. I give up.
Thanks for all your help

TPR75
 
Posts: 803
Joined: July 25th, 2011, 8:11 am
Location: Poland

Post Posted October 31st, 2019, 3:08 am

bigjeff66 wrote:Did the custom UA as you suggested still the same issue. Nothing seems to change the google page. Having used google since it came out going to switch to bing or duck duck go. I give up.
Thanks for all your help


Some websites don't care about standards and they made it compatible with "latest browser". For Big-G it means Chrome...

You can test latest beta of SeaMonkey 2.53.1:
https://www.wg9s.com/comm-253/

But remember! You can not go back to 2.49.x because some files in your profile will be updated. You can:
1) make fresh backup, test 2.53.1, restore backup and continue with 2.49.5,
2) make new profile (e.g. TEST-2531) and make SM 2.53.1 run only this new; it this case download ZIP version instead of EXE installer.

You can make it run together (old and new TEST-2531 profiles):
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Opening_a_new ... er_profile
Just change path to "seamonkey.exe".


I just tested SeaMonkey 2.49.5 and 2.53.1 (Build identifier: 20191030130008) and they work correct with site specific override - text is fitting Google Search Box. I've used User Agent for Firefox 70 under Win10.

Return to SeaMonkey Support


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests