Migrating mail from SeaMonkey to Apple MAIL

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
ruta

Migrating mail from SeaMonkey to Apple MAIL

Post by ruta »

My platform is MacBookPro 15”. Late 2013. OS 10.9.5
I am using SeaMonkey 2.49.4, where a meticulous “stock-taking” shows that I stock today 38,866 emails, placed in 275 folders.
I am in the process of trying to migrate all my SeaMonkey emails to Apple’s MAIL.
As we know – SeaMonkey does not have the EXPORT function.
Hence, I am doing that by importing the SeaMonkey PROFILE FOLDER into MAIL.
I have tried all the various modes Apple MAIL offers for that migration: Netscape-Mozilla, Thunderbird and mbox files.
I did that several times.
Each time that migration attempt results in two “super” files created in MAIL: one containing 15,899 mails, the other 3927 emails. All neatly packed in their relevant folders.
Altogether that is 51% of the number of original emails stored in my SeaMonkey.
I noted that all the 275 folders are represented in those “super” files, but as far as contents is concerned, non of those folders contain the full number of emails as they are in SeaMonkey: All the imported folders are either partly full or empty. As I said, they add up to about half of my SeaMonkey “inventory”.

What can be done in order to achieve migration of 100% of those emails?
Is it possible that the missing emails are not stored in Mozilla’s PROFILE folder and they are hiding somewhere else on my hard disk?
Many thanks.
Frank Lion

Re: Migrating mail from SeaMonkey to Apple MAIL

Post by Frank Lion »

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
ruta

Post by ruta »

Thank you.
In fact I was offered that and installed it last week.
How do I go about migrating ALL my emails?
So far I managed to import to MAIL only 51% of them.
Tks
ruta

Post by ruta »

Let me please clarify myself.
I have a single profile in SeaMonkey (SM).
My SM directory adds up to ca 38,000 emails contained in ca 270 folders and transacted over ca 20 years.

I migrated that profile to Apple MAIL in two manners that yielded same results:
Primo: In one step only, using MAIL IMPORT function.
Secondo: In two steps, using SM ImportExportTools. (I first I exported the profile to a folder on my desktop and then imported that folder into Apple MAIL).
In both manners only ca. 19,000 mails were imported into MAIL. This means that ca 19,000 emails did not migrate.

By the way, those ca 19,000 emails that migrated from SM are distributed In Apple MAIL in two folders: one in a computer-generated folder labeled 61f402p4.default-20191108-1822 and containing ca 16,000 emails, the other in a folder labeled “Mail” and containing ca 3,000 emails.

The long and the short of it is that it seems to me that only one half of my SM emails lie in the profile and that other half is hiding somewhere on my hard disk.
Is that possible?
Where can it hide?
Can our friends who wrote SM please answer that?

Thank you.
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

ruta wrote:.... My SM directory adds up to ca 38,000 emails contained in ca 270 folders and transacted over ca 20 years.
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240109 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.1
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240324 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
ruta

Post by ruta »

Thank you. Three questions before I start:
1. Do I understand correctly that I should do that folder by folder for all my 270 folders? (My attempts to do it in one go were unsuccessful).
2. Should I do that with ALL files or only with files having names and skip those with name.xxx ?
3. Do you say that ALL my emails are in the Profile and none are hiding somewhere else on my HD?
Tks
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

ruta wrote:I am using SeaMonkey 2.49.4, where a meticulous “stock-taking” shows that I stock today 38,866 emails
Exactly how are you determining this figure?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
ruta

Post by ruta »

When in email mode, SM directory shows on the LHS the statistics of my Work Account folder. Columns from left to right are: Name, Total, Size. Altogether I have ca 270 folders and subfolders whose aggregate total number of emails made two days ago 38,866. I verified the adding using excel.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

ruta wrote:I verified the adding using excel.
I ask because I have never come across people having any 'partial exporting' problems before.

I think you need to do some checking - does the total include copies/headers only/junk mail, that sort of thing.

If you haven't changed the setting then all messages are in the Mail folder within the profile. You can check via Edit>Mail and N Acct Settings> select account>Server Settings>Message Storage. Be sure to do this check with each and every account.
ruta

Post by ruta »

Frank Lion wrote:
ruta wrote:I verified the adding using excel.
I ask because I have never come across people having any 'partial exporting' problems before.

I think you need to do some checking - does the total include copies/headers only/junk mail, that sort of thing.

If you haven't changed the setting then all messages are in the Mail folder within the profile. You can check via Edit>Mail and N Acct Settings> select account>Server Settings>Message Storage. Be sure to do this check with each and every account.

Thank you.

1. As to 'partial exporting' see entry by ElTxolo above. That entry offering a solution but I require his answer to several questions before trying it.
2. As to contents of 38K I assure you they are all genuine. I checked folder by folder. They include 1609 in the trash bin and zero spam.
3. The Messge Storage shows only: /Users/avrahamariel/Library/Application Support/SeaMonkey/Profiles/61f402p4.default/Mail/mail.013.net.il
I do not know how to produce it as an attachment for you to havre a looksee.
Pls comment on that.

Tks
ruta

Post by ruta »

ElTxolo wrote:
ruta wrote:.... My SM directory adds up to ca 38,000 emails contained in ca 270 folders and transacted over ca 20 years.
Dear EITxolo

I tried following your instructions several times but was not more successful than previously - without following them. I must have been wrong and not quite follow your instructions "Click on the folder you want to export, and choose ImportExportTools | Export Folder (first choice). Export the folder to your desktop."
Can you please elaborate on that procedure and guide me step-by-step from where do I click on the folder (in SM or in Finder) until where/how do I store it on the desktop.
Pics will be of great help.

Many thanks