Some sites failing on Seamonkey. [Linux.]

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Frank Lion

Re: Some sites failing on Seamonkey. [Linux.]

Post by Frank Lion »

snorkelface wrote:So, if Seamonkey and Firefox use the Gecko engiine, and everything else uses Blink, why do so many sites work perfectly on FF and not on SM? Rhetorical Question.
Try reading the Comments Section on this article here - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... n-car.html

You can't see them, right? Rhetorical Question. That's because of your UA string using the Lightning suffix....

Despite this you need to go and play around some more, as you're just not getting this stuff right. Chase.com is fixed in 2 seconds with the right UA.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
snorkelface

Post by snorkelface »

Frank Lion,
I blanked the Calendar.useragent which had the Lightening setting of 'Lightning/5.4' and I was able to read the comments from the link you sent me.
Here is my general.useragent.override: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:71.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/71.0 (identical to FF)
I'm still having trouble rendering sites such as 'gofundme'. The text displays overtop the image and makes it almost impossible to read.

Any other suggestions?
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

snorkelface wrote:I'm still having trouble rendering sites such as 'gofundme'. The text displays overtop the image and makes it almost impossible to read.

Any other suggestions?
Broken in 2.49.5 but works in 2.53.1:
https://www.wg9s.com/comm-253/

Try unofficial beta... or wait week or two for official release.
--
snorkelface

Post by snorkelface »

TPR75, Thanks.I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

snorkelface wrote:Here is my general.useragent.override: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:71.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/71.0
Using that as a general ua override will wreck previews and layout on Youtube, plus breakings on other sites. That's why we only suggest site specific ua overrides.

That gofund site is beyond the help of ua strings, I reckon. Temp. fix is to use the 'block images' option.

The User Agent Switcher extension is useful for quick checking, but applies globally.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Buzzrr

Post by Buzzrr »

:idea: Here's how to enter in specific ua overrides codes thanks to TPR75's instructions.
snorkelface

Post by snorkelface »

Thanks Buzzrr. As I mentioned, I have 7 custom UAs already setup for different sites, including Youtube. I've had to do this for the past 2 years now.

Frank Lion - It's sad that the gofundme site works in Konqueror, Chrome, Chromium, Edge, Opera, Safari, and SRWare Iron, but not in SM.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

snorkelface wrote:Thanks Buzzrr. As I mentioned, I have...
In an open forum, other people read these posts and the information will be useful to them.
snorkelface wrote:Frank Lion - It's sad that.
Sad, but hardly the end of the world nor that surprising with 1.94 billion websites around in 2019. It's also not a problem for you, seeing as you list 7 other browsers to view that 1 website in.

Point is, SeaMonkey is a very good browser suite, but this ain't no bizarre Highlander film thing where 'There can be only one'. So, if a TV catchup site requires DRM then use Microsoft Edge Beta for it and do the same for the occasional oddly displaying website. Using the right click context menu of the 'Open with IE' extension, that takes around 1 second to do.

...or, if that's too much, just don't use SM at all and the world will still keep turning.