YouTube only showing grey placeholders

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
amrad

YouTube only showing grey placeholders

Post by amrad »

Yesterday morning, I was able to view videos on YouTube. By the afternoon, all I was getting were placeholders for the videos. Today, I'm still only seeing the placeholders. Clicking on them does nothing. I can view the videos OK in IE. I'm using SeaMonkey 2.49.5 running in Windows 7 Pro 64b on a Hewlett Packard Compaq 6200 PC. I have this site specific User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:70.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/70.0 which doesn't help.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to overcome this problem? Thanks.

Regards,

Dave.
TPR75

Re: YouTube only showing grey placeholders

Post by TPR75 »

amrad wrote:Yesterday morning, I was able to view videos on YouTube. By the afternoon, all I was getting were placeholders for the videos. Today, I'm still only seeing the placeholders.
For a short moment I saw gray placeholders only too. But few second later pictures loaded and it looks correct:
https://vader.joemonster.org/upload/rhb ... llpage.jpg
[warning, over 600 KB JPG]
It was taken on TEST profil with Firefox in UA (default).

Maybe it's something with ad-blockers (extension or 3rd party soft)? Maybe some CSS (stylesheet) is blocked?

My ADB+ blocks these links only on YT website:

Code: Select all

||fonts.googleapis.com^$domain=~[domain_name]
||doubleclick.net^
||ggpht.com^$domain=~google.pl|~[domain_name]
--
amrad

Post by amrad »

@ TPR75,

Thanks for your reply. I'm not using an ad-blocker at the moment and I tried running SeaMonkey in safe mode with no change - still only placeholders. I've also cleared my cache, no difference. Any other suggestions?

Regards,

Dave.
Bac_a_sable

Post by Bac_a_sable »

Maybe the problem is on the other side (here, youtube). Jut wait it will be corrected at this side.
Does others browsers (Firefox and so on) have same problem? If so, other side is the root cause.

Jean-Charles
amrad

Post by amrad »

Hello Jean-Charles,

Thank you for your reply. I don't have Firefox installed so haven't tried it but I can view the videos with Internet Explorer. I hope it does get fixed soon!

Regards,

Dave.
Bac_a_sable

Post by Bac_a_sable »

Youtube works from her with seamonkey 2.49.5 and ublock origin active (shows 25, no 26; no 27 ; no 30...entities blocked at this time. Seems something is trying something else :))
Example of working video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8ZfEs6phhQ

Link of not working video?
amrad

Post by amrad »

Hello Jean-Charles,

No videos work, all I see is the grey place holders for the videos, none of which are clickable.

Regards,

Dave.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

amrad wrote:. I'm not using an ad-blocker at the moment and I tried running SeaMonkey in safe mode with no change - still only placeholders. I've also cleared my cache, no difference. Any other suggestions?
Create new profile in SeaMonkey (just for test) and check there if YT works correct.
--
amrad

Post by amrad »

@TPR75,

A new profile was the next thing I was going to try, which I have now done and I can see the videos with it! I think YouTube must have changed something because it worked before with my old profile but not not now. I made had no changes to the profile but there must be something incompatible with whatever change YouTube made.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Dave.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

amrad wrote: A new profile was the next thing I was going to try, which I have now done and I can see the videos with it!
Before moving anything to it, I suggest you delete all Youtube cookies on the old profile.

Youtube has been working OK for me, for ages now.

....oh, while I remember...YT doesn't like Firefox 65 - 72 UA overrides.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Frank Lion wrote:....oh, while I remember...YT doesn't like Firefox 65 - 72 UA overrides.
UA override is per domain. Some websites like YT are using more than one domain. Maybe override for these two could help:

Code: Select all

youtube.com
ytimg.com
I'm not advertising Firefox and YT works correct for me.
--
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

amrad wrote:Yesterday morning, I was able to view videos on YouTube. By the afternoon, all I was getting were placeholders for the videos. Today, I'm still only seeing the placeholders. Clicking on them does nothing. I can view the videos OK in IE. I'm using SeaMonkey 2.49.5 running in Windows 7 Pro 64b on a Hewlett Packard Compaq 6200 PC. I have this site specific User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:70.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/70.0 which doesn't help.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to overcome this problem? Thanks. [...]
  • :-k I'm using, SeaMonkey default user agent (custom: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20190804 SeaMonkey/2.49.5) and uBlock Origin 1.16.4.12
    With default permissions for cookies (no third-party cookies), allow all images & custom userContent.css :-"
    I have no problem viewing videos on YouTube.

Is javascript enabled at YouTube?

#-o However, if I use Firefox 72 as user agent (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:72.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/72.0)
    this is what happens:

Cheers!! Image
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240109 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.1
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240324 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
seedy

Post by seedy »

I get the placeholders when using NoScript, perhaps something is getting blocked by a legacy profile. Did you try a new profile entirely?
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

amrad wrote:I think YouTube must have changed something because it worked before with my old profile but not not now. I made had no changes to the profile but there must be something incompatible with whatever change YouTube made.
Except, on this occasion, YouTube made no changes.

It's important that people get this, otherwise it will go into folk law that it's a YT change and they will not bother to fix the problem at their end. A new profile should not be needed in this case to fix this.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
amrad

Post by amrad »

Hello Frank,
Frank Lion wrote:A new profile should not be needed in this case to fix this.
In that case, what do I need to do to resolve this problem?

Regards,

Dave.