HOW TO EXPORT SEAMONKEY MAIL TO APPLE MAIL

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
ruta

Re: HOW TO EXPORT SEAMONKEY MAIL TO APPLE MAIL

Post by ruta »

I can't say.
My 2013 MacBookPro (OS10.9.5) says for 2.49.5 : "64-Bit (Intel): Yes".
I fear that the way the developers of SM are going, it wouldn't take long for us, Mac users, to face a huge problem.
frg

Post by frg »

> What is the actual truth?

2.49.4 is not compatible with 10.14. 2.49.5 is compatible with 10.14.

I tested 2.49.5 with 10.15 and it worked for me but there were reports of crashes and early on 10.15 was a buggy mess. We are now at 10.15.2 and not hearing much about this one. 2.49.5 is a pure 64 bit application.

For 10.15 I would recommend waiting for 2.53.1. If you need it absolutely now pick the unofficial 2.53.2:
http://www.wg9s.com/comm-253/

The official 2.53.1 can be later installed over it.

In both cases do a full profile backup before.

> I fear that the way the developers of SM are going, it wouldn't take long for us, Mac users, to face a huge problem.

ruta: You seem to know more about us then we do. Please don't assume anything. We are still commited but face some challenges. I only bought a mac so I could test SeaMonkey. But Apple is going more proprietary with every release.

FRG
ruta

Post by ruta »

Tks FRG.
My knowledge is very little indeed. I can only judge by the results which are not that bright for Mac users. My feeling is that considering we are a small minority, less efforts are exerted in our direction. This is understandable. Anther example of that policy is that since SM 2.40 we are deprived of the key-board short-cut for BiDi alignment. That said, I appreciate that SM does not owe me anything and I am grateful for what you and your colleagues have done for the community over many years, including you acquiring a Mac for testing SM and improving our situation.
I note your advice on Catalina but I still fear spending $2K on the new hardware to find out my emails are in jeopardy,
Being a user I naturally have tunnel vision: My current interest is only in migrating SM to MAIL. To my dismay, so far this is just partially workable. Yesterday I tried to migrate a folder containing 122 messages. Only 80 reached the MAIL mailbox. This was my highest score so far, but obviously not good enough. Me - and apparently other Mac users - wish to know if in the foreseeable future there will be a way to score full marks.
I am begging you, cap in hand, will SM provide us soon with smooth migration from SM to MAIL?
Thank you.
kerft

Post by kerft »

This may help in renaming all your big files from a backup of your profile to .mbox for use in Apple Mail - https://www.imore.com/how-rename-multip ... s-once-mac
ruta

Post by ruta »

Thank you.
Apology for belated reply. This does not help me because it's valid for OS X.10 and up, while I operate OS 10.9.5. As much as I wish to upgrade my machine I refrain from doing that, as there's no guarantee that current OS will support SeaMonkey.
Beside that, while I do not see it in my computer, I read somewhere that SM keeps all emails in .mbox fomat.
One way or another, I just experimented again in migrating ONE SeaMonkey folder to MAIL. That SM folder contains 122 emails. It migrated only 80. I wonder if anybody can explain that.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

ruta wrote:This does not help me because it's valid for OS X.10 and up, while I operate OS 10.9.5.
AFAIK you have Mac OS X:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS_X_Mavericks
ruta wrote:Beside that, while I do not see it in my computer, I read somewhere that SM keeps all emails in .mbox fomat.
Profile is hidden by default:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folde ... _Mac_users

Besides "format" is not "file's extension" - file "122folder" can be in MBOX format but without ".mbox" filename extension:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filename_extension
ruta wrote:One way or another, I just experimented again in migrating ONE SeaMonkey folder to MAIL. That SM folder contains 122 emails. It migrated only 80. I wonder if anybody can explain that.
You did it using "ImportExport Tools", right? Well, then it's time for next experiment - "export" entire folder without IET extension:
1) Pick one folder, remember its name and use some Mac tool to find file with the same name; let's assume it's called "122folder" (put correct name here)
2) when you'll find it then copy file "122folder" to Desktop, to e.g. "Export-Import" folder,
3) change name of "122folder" file to "122folder.mbox" (make sure you can see files' extensions),
4) import using Mac Mail software,

If all 122 messages will be imported then everything is correct. If not, well:
- folder can be corrupted,
- Mac Mail can't import them all (regardless of what they say); it can be caused e.g. by not standard encoding (languages other than English, e.g. Hebrew, Russian, Chinese).

In case folder's corruption:
1) close SeaMonkey (all windows, all instances)
2) make backup
3) run SeaMonkey and try to repair folder:
click Right Mouse Button (or what Mac have) on a folder, e.g. "122folder" -> Properties -> click on "Repair Folder" button

4) restart SeaMonkey
5) try again export-import (direct method, without IET extension).

If you manage to import (with success) and there will be some non standard steps then please write it here. It can help other Mac users.
--
ruta

Post by ruta »

Thank you

Yes, I am using ImportExport Tools.
I do not know how to activate “Without IET extension” Please advise.

This said:

1. Using ImportExport Tools EXPORT FOLDER I exported one SM mail folder named "LPG" and consisting of 66 emails, all in English, from SM to a desktop folder I named "Export-Import".

2. While in that desktop folder I added the extension “.mbox” to “LPG” and it became “LPG.mbox”

3. I Imported “LPG.mbox” to MAIL using “Files in .mbox format”. Only 56 emails (out of 66) were imported.

4. I repeated the above migration without adding the extension “.mbox” to “LPG”. The results were identical.

5. I did the same with one folder containing 122 Hebrew emails. 80 emails were imported.

6. In fact I experienced this phenomenon of “short delivery” for at least 5 years, since I first became interested in migrating from SM to MAIL. It happened when I attempted the migration myself and also when Apple GENIUSES in Apple Shops were trying to help me.

7. During that time I used different versions of SM.

8. Conclusion 1: This is not a matter of language.

9. Conclusion 2 : There is no evidence of folder corruption. It happens with every folder and right now also to another member of this forum located in Florida. To my knowledge, nobody came out yet to confirm he or she was successful with this operation.

10. Conclusion 3 : Mac Mail can't import them all (regardless of what they say). I wish I am wrong.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

ruta wrote:Yes, I am using ImportExport Tools.
I do not know how to activate “Without IET extension” Please advise.
Actually you don't need extension to export ALL messages from folder. You can copy (MBOX format) file directly. Each folder (message folder under SeaMonkey) has its own file. File should have the same name like folder. Files with messages are in your profile:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folde ... _Mac_users

Profile is hidden by default. First you must make it unhidden:
https://ianlunn.co.uk/articles/quickly- ... mavericks/
https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/07 ... s-in-macos

Code: Select all

~/Library/Application Support/SeaMonkey/Profiles/********.<Profile name>
"********" are random alphanumeric characters generated during creation of your profile and "<Profile name>" is your profile name.

When hidden files will be revealed then search for file e.g. "LPG":
inside of your profile open folder "Mail" -> open folder with name e.g. after one of your e-mail account (if you have more then one); e.g. "pop.gmail.com" -> search for "LPG" file -> copy to Desktop "Export-Import" folder -> change name to "LPG.mbox" -> try to import to Apple Mail

Above is for POP3 account(-s). For IMAP account(-s) search for "ImapMail" instead of just "Mail". But for IMAP you don't need this if all folders are synchronized online.
--
ruta

Post by ruta »

Thank you.
In fact my Profile file (in Maverick OS10.9.5) is not hidden. I think hiding those commenced with Sierra.
Hence procedure was a piece of cake. All progressed pretty smoothly, but the bottom line is exactly the same: Only 56 emails (out of 66) were imported. So we are back to Square One.
BTW, I operate only one POP3 account.
IMAP account MAY provide a solution, but I have no interest to splash my library of 38K email messages in the public domain.
Meanwhile – as this matter is so important to me – I am ready to try anything else you may suggest.
Tks again
kerft

Post by kerft »

Renaming the files, as in the post 2 above this one is the best method as far as I know. If it is only copying 50 out of 60 emails, instead of taking this a sign that you should wait for a better future method, I would take it as a sign that your files are already messed up. And you should urgently copy them into Apple Mail as quickly as possible, as many as possible. Keep the old profile (forever) in case a way of recovering the lost messages manually is someday found. Once you migrate what you can, Seamonkey will still function. When you see what is missing, you can go to those emails and print them to PDF, if they are available in Seamonkey at present.
ruta

Post by ruta »

Thank you.
I beg to disagree. I experienced "short delivery" of files since about 5 years ago, when the matter of migrating all files to MAIL became acute to me. There is no sign any of my SM files is messed up. My SM works perfect, except for exporting files, a function the founding fathers did not consider important. If I shall take your advice, I have no idea how many files out of my 38K will be short delivered. Tracing those and printing them is an impossible task. And yes, I can assure you, my files are all available in SM at present.
I know nothing of programming (except programming in BASIC 40 odd years ago...) and my question is: how difficult is it to add EXPORT function to SM? Tks again.
kerft

Post by kerft »

I don't want to cast aspersions on Seamonkey developers, so I will answer for Thunderbird instead. In Thunderbird, ImportExportTools exists, and a new version ImportExportTools NG exists for modern Thunderbird. This actually may be your rescue. If ImportExportTools NG works better than the old ImportExportTools, then copying or importing your files into Thunderbird and then using ImportExportTools NG may get you something usable.
Anyway, since IET NG exists, I predict that the Thunderbird developers will do nothing and add nothing related to export to the core program. It would not be a priority, and their team is small, approximately 10 people.
How hard would it be? Well, to bundle IET NG into the program (Thunderbird) would be easy. However, it would not be any better than IET NG, and would actually be worse because it would mean instead of the extension updating whenever it chooses, changes would only come - well, Thunderbird gets a real release only once a year (the others are security), so it would slow down improvements to IET (abbreviation for Import Export Tools) a lot.
ruta

Post by ruta »

Naturally, I am ready to try anything.
I never used TB. I shall download it in a day or two. How do I migrate my SM folders (or, for starters, part thereof) to TB without jeopardizing my SM folders? Can I migrate my whole SM profile to TB in one go?
Tks again.
kerft

Post by kerft »

I don't know how to copy things over from Seamonkey to Thunderbird. If you make a few backups of your profile, and work with copies not the originals, that should be safe.
Hopefully someone can post instructions on how much of a Seamonkey profile can be used in Thunderbird and how.

If we claim that a folder of your Seamonkey messages are in a standards compliant mbox file (I do not know if any such standards exist) then it would be an Apple Mail bug if Apple Mail is unable to import that file completely. You could try to file a bug at the Apple Mail bug place, and if you have a non-private folder of messages send that to them to look at to see the problems.

ImportExportTools, or ImportExportTools NG, instead of exporting to mbox should also be able to export to a large number of eml files, one for each message. If this produces 65 messages for a 65 message folder instead of losing some, then there may be a way to convert those eml files back to mbox as an intermediate step that would clean it up and make it importable, or maybe you can import eml files into Apple Mail directly.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

ruta wrote:My SM works perfect, except for exporting files, a function the founding fathers did not consider important.
"Exporting" works perfect because files with messages are ready to import without extra formatting.
ruta wrote:[...] and my question is: how difficult is it to add EXPORT function to SM? Tks again.
Very difficult when there are not enough developers. Besides Mozilla didn't make it either. Why?

If you have time and patients you can experiment little more with export-import of MBOX files:
1) create new profile under SeaMonkey or install Thunderbird,
2) install "ImportExport Tools" extension in new profile or in TB,
3) create temp folder (in SM or TB) for imported messages
4) import MBOX files to new profile or TB using IET (I'm suggesting restart after each import)
5) create new folder for messages (in SM or TB) and move them there from TEMP (where they were imported)
6) restart SM or TB (you know, just in case)
7) compact new folder: mark e-mail account (in new profile or TB) -> Menu -> File -> Compact Folders
8) restart and check if they are all there
9) close SM or TB, find MBOX formatted file, copy it to other place and try to import using Apple Mail (You know already how to do it)

This experiment is for check that MBOX file is not corrupted. You can do it twice (SM and then TB) or just TB - maybe Apple Mail will work better with TB's MBOX file. If all this fail then it's Apple Mail fault.
--