HOW TO EXPORT SEAMONKEY MAIL TO APPLE MAIL

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
kerft

Re: HOW TO EXPORT SEAMONKEY MAIL TO APPLE MAIL

Post by kerft »

This is an old link, but it says in Thunderbird (and could be true in Seamonkey) that you can just right click a batch (or folder) of emails and do save as, to save .eml files. https://lifehacker.com/how-can-i-save-a ... up-5990556 This is without using any extensions.
If that is true, .eml files may be importable into Apple Mail? Hopefully TPR75's post will work better.
ruta

Post by ruta »

TPR75 wrote:
ruta wrote:My SM works perfect, except for exporting files, a function the founding fathers did not consider important.
"Exporting" works perfect because files with messages are ready to import without extra formatting.
ruta wrote:[...] and my question is: how difficult is it to add EXPORT function to SM? Tks again.
Very difficult when there are not enough developers. Besides Mozilla didn't make it either. Why?

If you have time and patients you can experiment little more with export-import of MBOX files:
1) create new profile under SeaMonkey or install Thunderbird,
2) install "ImportExport Tools" extension in new profile or in TB,
3) create temp folder (in SM or TB) for imported messages
4) import MBOX files to new profile or TB using IET (I'm suggesting restart after each import)
5) create new folder for messages (in SM or TB) and move them there from TEMP (where they were imported)
6) restart SM or TB (you know, just in case)
7) compact new folder: mark e-mail account (in new profile or TB) -> Menu -> File -> Compact Folders
8) restart and check if they are all there
9) close SM or TB, find MBOX formatted file, copy it to other place and try to import using Apple Mail (You know already how to do it)

This experiment is for check that MBOX file is not corrupted. You can do it twice (SM and then TB) or just TB - maybe Apple Mail will work better with TB's MBOX file. If all this fail then it's Apple Mail fault.
2) install "ImportExport Tools" extension in new profile or in TB,
Tks for instructions as above.
I installed the current TB (68.4.2) as instructed in (1). It works OK.
However, it is impossible to install ImportExportTools as it is not compatible with TB (68.4.2).
I am back to Square one.
Considering there is nothing wrong with my SM files, I doubt the value of going through the exercise with a new SM profile.
I am open to new suggestions.
Thanks
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

ruta wrote: I installed the current TB (68.4.2) as instructed in (1). It works OK.
However, it is impossible to install ImportExportTools as it is not compatible with TB (68.4.2).
Sorry! I forgot that TB 68.x is using web-extensions. Old IET was good up to TB 60.x and for newer you need "ImportExport Tools NG":
https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... ttools-ng/

Should work the same way.
--
ruta

Post by ruta »

Should work the same way.
Thank you.
I went through the motions.
1. TB successfully installed and launched
2. "ImportExport Tools NG" successfully installed on TB and launched
3.One email folder,(named LPG) containing 65 (counted) emails, all in English was exported from SM to Desktop using IET. It was enamed LPG.mbox
4. LPG.mbox was imported from desktop to TB, using ImportExport Tools NG. 65 (counted) emails were received. So far - so good.
5. LPG.mbox was successfully exported from TB to Desktop using ImportExport Tools NG, stored in a folder and named LPG1.mbox
6. LPG1.mbox was imported to APPLE MAIL using MAIL function IMPORT MAILBOXES
7. 56 (counted) emails were imported into MAIL.
Exactly same success ratio was achieved when migrating direct from SM to MAiL without using TB as a go-between.
My conclusion is that migrating from SM to MAIL is unworkable with currently existing software.
I hope I am wrong.
Tks
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

ruta wrote:5. LPG.mbox was successfully exported from TB to Desktop using ImportExport Tools NG, stored in a folder and named LPG1.mbox
Skip export using IET-NG. Just find "LPG" file within TB's profile:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folde ... d#Mac_OS_X

Code: Select all

~/Library/Thunderbird/Profiles/<Profile name>/
Copy such file to desktop's folder and then try to import using Apple Mail. In this experiment/test you are trying to determine if "pure" MBOX file (without IET-NG) will be imported by Apple Mail.
--
ruta

Post by ruta »

I
In this experiment/test you are trying to determine if "pure" MBOX file (without IET-NG) will be imported by Apple Mail.
Well, I tried and achieved same results. Score still 56 / 65.
Is it possible the trouble lies with APPLE MAIL?

Tks
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

ruta wrote:I
In this experiment/test you are trying to determine if "pure" MBOX file (without IET-NG) will be imported by Apple Mail.
Well, I tried and achieved same results. Score still 56 / 65.
Is it possible the trouble lies with APPLE MAIL?
Well, it is possible that Apple Mail has some problem.

But I've got one more experiment/test for you. In one of my previous messages I wrote that I had problems to see newly imported messages (in SeaMonkey). Maybe AM has similar problem? Maybe AM has all but shows "not all" after fresh import? Try to import again and then restart at least AM or maybe better Mac OS X (I don't know if AM starts as "service" or just app). After restart count again messages. How it looks now?

If it will looks the same than we can't help you no more. It's Apple's Support move then.
--
ruta

Post by ruta »

Try to import again and then restart
At what point exactly should I restart the computer?
Tks
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

ruta wrote:
Try to import again and then restart
At what point exactly should I restart the computer?
Tks
I don't know you should restart or not - I'm not familiar with MacOS. I'm just writing that after import into SeaMonkey newly imported messages were not visible until restart of SeaMonkey. In case of Apple Mail I don't know how it works in MacOS. Maybe restart of Apple Mail application will be enough or maybe restart of OS is required to make sure that entire Apple mailing application restarted from scratch.

Maybe it's similar problem like with SeaMonkey and after restart you'll see ALL messages? I don't know.

Try to import using Apple Mail and then (regardless what numbers will you see) close/restart AM (without or with entire MacOS X). YOU want to be sure YOU did everything to prove it is THEIR (Apple) technical problem.
--
ruta

Post by ruta »

Maybe it's similar problem like with SeaMonkey and after restart you'll see ALL messages? I don't know.

Try to import using Apple Mail and then (regardless what numbers will you see) close/restart AM (without or with entire MacOS X). YOU want to be sure YOU did everything to prove it is THEIR (Apple) technical problem.

I tried both.
First restarting AM - still 55/65
Then restarted machine - ditto.
In November I was abt 40 minutes on the phone with Apple. Their guy entered my machine, played here and there and could not do a thing. He rejected the idea that it is AM problem. Said nothing wrong with it. Apple Forum did not respond to me.
With respect, I doubt it is an Apple technical problem. WWE who wrote very recently on this forum in "SM AND MAC CATALINA 10.15.3" suffers from exactly the same problem.
Unfortunately it seems nobody can help me any more. SeaMonkey is marriage for life.
Thanks for trying that hard.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

ruta wrote:In November I was abt 40 minutes on the phone with Apple. Their guy entered my machine, played here and there and could not do a thing. He rejected the idea that it is AM problem. Said nothing wrong with it. Apple Forum did not respond to me.
With respect, I doubt it is an Apple technical problem. WWE who wrote very recently on this forum in "SM AND MAC CATALINA 10.15.3" suffers from exactly the same problem.
You're not only one who had similar problem. This user can't see all messages too (MS Outlook -> Apple Mail):
https://apple.stackexchange.com/questio ... es-on-list
... but he/she is able to find them(!).

OK, I know. It's not Apple forum! Just one more last hint/suggestion that it's Apple technical problem... :-"

https://www.techhit.com/outlook/export_ ... _mail.html
(read "Additional important notes about importing email")

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?s ... 0230751429
(read post "Authored by: mireth.com on Jun 07, '05 04:40:11PM")

https://mjtsai.com/blog/2019/10/11/mail ... cos-10-15/

Here is something interesting:
https://www.experts-exchange.com/questi ... il-ap.html
... but it's behind pay-wall.

Good luck and don't give up... 8-)
--
ruta

Post by ruta »

Tks. I'll take them one by one
http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?s ... 0230751429
(read post "Authored by: mireth.com on Jun 07, '05 04:40:11PM")
I read there: 2. Open ~/Library/Mail
Where do I find ~/Library/Mail ?
Tks
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

ruta wrote:Where do I find ~/Library/Mail ?
I'm not Apple user, I don't know but... If you don't know then search for it. :wink:
--
ruta

Post by ruta »

I'm not Apple user, I don't know but... If you don't know then search for it.
I spent several hours yesterday on following the post "Authored by: mireth.com on Jun 07, '05 04:40:11PM") and I am convinced it is relevant to migration FROM APPLE MAIL TO APPLE MAIL , as in the case of transferring from an older computer to a new one, not for migrating from SM to APPLE MAIL.
I shall look during the weekend into the two other hints you kindly offered me, but I doubt I shall find my salvation there.
Thanks anyway and I wish you a more interesting weekend than the one I expect for myself.
ruta

Post by ruta »

I still owe you an answer to your post of 5 February, where you provided me with several links.
Am sorry to say that after checking the last two

https://mjtsai.com/blog/2019/10/11/mail ... cos-10-15/
and
https://www.experts-exchange.com/questi ... il-ap.html

I can say they are re irrelevant to SeaMonkey.

I am back to Square One and declare myself as unable to achieve even resemblance to migrating even one complete folder containing 65 emails (let alone thousands of emails) from SeaMonkey to APPLE MAIL.
I give up for the time being, awaiting with a big Bouquet for any one to prove me wrong.
Thanks for your assistance.