MozillaZine

disable DNS-lookup. SM in intranet without internet connect

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
EckardG
 
Posts: 3
Joined: February 6th, 2020, 12:22 am

Post Posted February 6th, 2020, 12:31 am

Hi,
seamonkey seems to make a DNS-lookup before showing a intranet website. How can I switch off/ disable/ turn off that?
When Internet connection is not present, every call to intranet website lasts about 20 seconds! Normally the site appears immediately, thats not reasonable for users!
thanks
Eckard

TPR75
 
Posts: 955
Joined: July 25th, 2011, 8:11 am
Location: Poland

Post Posted February 6th, 2020, 5:02 am

EckardG wrote:seamonkey seems to make a DNS-lookup before showing a intranet website. How can I switch off/ disable/ turn off that?
When Internet connection is not present, every call to intranet website lasts about 20 seconds! Normally the site appears immediately, thats not reasonable for users!


Auto update of SM, auto update of extension(-s), Google Safe Browsing... disable them:
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=3036764&hilit=google+safe+browsing+safebrowsing

EckardG
 
Posts: 3
Joined: February 6th, 2020, 12:22 am

Post Posted February 6th, 2020, 3:22 pm

TPR75 wrote:Auto update of SM, auto update of extension(-s), Google Safe Browsing... disable them:
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=3036764&hilit=google+safe+browsing+safebrowsing


Thank you. Auto update, any update already disabled, Any Internet-stuff already disabled. SM is only used als intranet-browser for prorietary document database wirtten in simple html/php 15 years old. Cache is 100% disabled because of document downloading. Nearly everything is disabled. I can't find "Google Safe Browsing", perhaps because we are using SM 2.9.1 from 2012.

Any other ideas?

Maybe a newer SM version helps. Maybe the problem appears only because we have disable so much. I just installed SM 2.9.1 on a win7-machine and the problem here in my small network does not appear, I haven't disabled all yet. The feature of that 20-sec-waitstate appears in another network. Maybe I find the "disabled option" that causes the waitstate when disabling the options step-by-step on my win7 (vmware) here. I have time to do that that next week.

tia
Eckard

TPR75
 
Posts: 955
Joined: July 25th, 2011, 8:11 am
Location: Poland

Post Posted February 7th, 2020, 1:27 am

EckardG wrote:SM is only used als intranet-browser for prorietary document database wirtten in simple html/php 15 years old.


Then why don't you set firewall rules for SeaMonkey to allow local (intranet) connections only?

EckardG
 
Posts: 3
Joined: February 6th, 2020, 12:22 am

Post Posted February 8th, 2020, 1:10 pm

TPR75 wrote:Then why don't you set firewall rules for SeaMonkey to allow local (intranet) connections only?

If SM still tries to find somewhat server in internet for 20 sec then nothing is won!
When internet connection is disabled, the situtation is already now like you propose: SM can't got to internet. And then there is the problem with the 20 sec delay.

TPR75
 
Posts: 955
Joined: July 25th, 2011, 8:11 am
Location: Poland

Post Posted February 9th, 2020, 5:21 am

EckardG wrote:
TPR75 wrote:Then why don't you set firewall rules for SeaMonkey to allow local (intranet) connections only?

If SM still tries to find somewhat server in internet for 20 sec then nothing is won!
When internet connection is disabled, the situtation is already now like you propose: SM can't got to internet. And then there is the problem with the 20 sec delay.


Did you disabled "safebrowsing" function?

1) Type "about:config" in address bar -> confirm by pressing button "I accept the risk!" -> type "safebrowsing" in search bar -> set all Boolean to "false" -> delete all URLs ("https//[...]") -> close SeaMonkey

Image

2) Release notes for version 2.49.5 - Known Issues

If you experience a delay showing the first page after start, please delete the Safebrowsing folder in your profile. Bad Safebrowsing data may delay showing the first page for up to 30 seconds. The problem is tracked in bug 1432274. This can occur even if you are not using Safebrowsing because the lists are always fetched. Additionally the Safebrowsing V2 api this release is using has been discontinued and the google lists are no longer updated. We will switch to the later V4 api in the next version.


Find your profile (wherever did you set it under Linux) -> (when SeaMonkey is not running) delete "Safebrowsing" folder (if present) -> start SeaMonkey and check if this time you will experience 20-30 seconds delay

EDIT:
For some strange reason I've got two "profiles":
1) first and main (with all my data):
Code: Select all
c:\Users\[user_name]\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\Profiles\[profile_name]

2) second (i.a. for Safe Browsing):
Code: Select all
c:\Users\[user_name]\AppData\Local\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\Profiles\[profile_name]

("[profile_name]" is the same like for "first"
In this "second" is Safebrowsing folder (in my case). This folder has to be deleted.

I don't know where it could be under Linux.

EDIT 2:
Here it is under Linux (Mint 19.3 Tricia):
1) "main" profile
Code: Select all
/home/[user_name]/.mozilla/seamonkey/

2) "second" profile (with Safebrowsing folder)
Code: Select all
/home/[user_name]/.cache/mozilla/seamonkey/

Return to SeaMonkey Support


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests