Set sizes for windows in SM 2.53

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Anonymosity

Set sizes for windows in SM 2.53

Post by Anonymosity »

How do I set the size for the browser window and the messenger window for SM 2.53? I tried doing that with userChrome.css, but I cannot get that to work. Also, I want to change the size of the bookmark folder list when something is to be bookmarked. Apparently, the element name of that has changed.
ElTxolo

Re: Set sizes for windows in SM 2.53

Post by ElTxolo »

Anonymosity wrote:How do I set the size for the browser window and the messenger window for SM 2.53? I tried doing that with userChrome.css, but I cannot get that to work. Also, I want to change the size of the bookmark folder list when something is to be bookmarked. Apparently, the element name of that has changed.
  • Image You could use the file xulstore.json, that is inside the SeaMonkey profile folder.

Code: Select all

{"chrome://navigator/content/navigator.xul":{"main-window":{"width":"1359","height":"707","screenX":"0","screenY":"1","sizemode":"normal"}

"chrome://messenger/content/messenger.xul":"messengerWindow":{"screenX":"0","screenY":"3","width":"1358","height":"705","sizemode":"normal"}

Cheers!!! Image
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240318 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.2
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240416 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
therube

Post by therube »

I gather you had been doing that in 2.49?
What was the code you used there?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

I was not doing that with 2.49. I found that using min-width and min-height for main-window works and max-width and max-height works with messengerWindow. I am gradually coming to grips with this new version.
Justinh

Post by Justinh »

I'm cornfused. Why can't you just drag the window border to resize it, like any other application window?

And what is 'messenger'? I can't find it in the UI or the documentation.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

I believe SeaMonkey was ignoring the settings in xulstore.json because of the setting "privacy.resistFingerprinting" being set to true. I could drag the windows to the size I wanted, but I had to do that every time I relaunched the application. The messenger window is the window that handles email and newsgroups.
Justinh

Post by Justinh »

SM on Windows remembers the window size from the previous session. I didn't realize Mac didn't do this kind of thing.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

MacOS does usually keep track of window sizes. I can set the size of most windows and have them stay the same. Somehow resisting fingerprinting was overriding the window sizes for SM as well as producing a weird user-agent.
therube

Post by therube »

AFAIK, [Mozilla] browsers do not retain their sizing.
They may, for a period of time.
Or particular windows may retain their sizing (at least for a period of time).
But at some point, they'll resize on you.
(I'm speaking of multiple windows here, dozens or more.)

(Similar to how they also do not retain relative position along the [Windows] taskbar when [re]opened from Session Restore. Only the first window retains its position. Others will not. [SeaMonkey 2.4.x was the last browser that I know of that did retain taskbar positions.])
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Justinh

Post by Justinh »

Typical Windows behavior is the last (browser) window to be closed sets the size and position of the next (browser) window that is created. Or, the last created will determine a relative position (with the same size) for the next one. My window size and position never changes on its own. I usually use only one browser window, but I am careful to close my primary last so that it is where I want it next time I open it.