MozillaZine

Inbox could not be compacted because writing to folder fail.

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
wwe

Post Posted February 29th, 2020, 4:32 pm

Dan

I asked you this a few months ago but I never followed up on it:

"The folder 'Inbox' could not be compacted because writing to folder failed. Verify that you have enough disc space, and that you have write privileges to the file system, then try again."

I still have your answer but was just wondering if there's a newer way of fixing this?

Your answer was:

"Close SeaMonkey and navigate to the Profile folder -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_SeaMonkey
Make a copy of the file Inbox with no file name extension.
Restart SeaMonkey and open the email module. Right click on name Inbox in the left hand pane and select "Properties" from the displayed menu, then click on the "Repair folder" button.
Try again to compact the Inbox. If the same error message is displayed, try the following procedure:

Create a new sub-folder under Local Folders. Move all of the messages currently in the problem Inbox to that new sub-folder.

Close SeaMonkey and navigate to the \Mail sub-folder of your Profile folder. Delete both the file Inbox.msf and the file Inbox with no extension.

Restart SeaMonkey and you should find a new, empty Inbox folder in place. Copy any messages you MUST have in your Inbox from the sub-folder created above to the Inbox. Compact the Inbox after those messages are copied in.

The "Real Fix" entry in this article -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders#Real_fix also describes this process."

What is the " email module"??

Also, I've been thing to move my mail from IN BOX (March 7, 2019 - Dec. 21, 2019) to a folder called 2019 RECEIVED E MAILS and I select them all and right clock and go to "MOVE
TO" and then the folder I want but nothing happens! Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

Paul
Last edited by LIMPET235 on March 1st, 2020, 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Some slight text editing....

DanRaisch

Post Posted February 29th, 2020, 4:52 pm

What is the " email module"??

SeaMonkey is a suite that includes a browser, email and newsgroup component, an HTML editor (composer) and an address book manager. Each of those constitutes a module that can be run separately from the others.

Also, I've been thing to move my mail from IN BOX (March 7, 2019 - Dec. 21, 2019) to a folder called 2019 RECEIVED E MAILS and I select them all and right clock and go to "MOVE TO" and then the folder I want but nothing happens! Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

No offense intended if this seems obvious, but does the folder "2019 RECEIVED E MAILS" already exist? If not, it must be created in order to move messages to it.
If that folder does exist, WHERE does it exist? Is it a sub-folder of the Inbox, or of Local Folders, or somewhere else?
Finally, if that exists already, try renaming it to remove the spaces in the name. At one point in the past, Thunderbird had problems with folders with names that included spaces. I don't know that is still an issue but it might be worth editing to remove that possibility.

wwe

Post Posted February 29th, 2020, 9:53 pm

Thanks Dan. Yes I do believe that folder exists but I will check everything you just said.

Thanks again.

wwe

Post Posted February 29th, 2020, 10:06 pm

I did rename it and tried to move them all but nothing happened.

However I tested and moved one name at a time and it did move them but I want a way to move them all.

wwe

Post Posted February 29th, 2020, 10:10 pm

Tried moving another e mail and it didn't let me

DanRaisch

Post Posted March 1st, 2020, 5:16 am

How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Edit → Preferences->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.

wwe

Post Posted March 1st, 2020, 9:41 am

It is in SEAMONKEY and is a POP

The crazy thing is that I haven't had any problems moving other e mail.

amrad

Post Posted March 1st, 2020, 10:03 am

Hello Dan,

DanRaisch wrote:How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Edit → Preferences->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.

In SeaMonkey, the path to the email type in SeaMonkey Mail is:

Edit / Mail & Newsgroups Account Settings / Server Settings / Server Type:

Regards,

Dave.

DanRaisch

Post Posted March 1st, 2020, 11:18 am

Thanks, Dave. :oops: I've got to create a SeaMonkey specific clip for that question!

First, backup your Profile ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup )

Create a new sub-folder under Local Folders. Move all of the messages currently in your Inbox to that new subfolder.

Confirm that you have made the recommended backup of your Profile.

Close SeaMonkey and navigate to the \Mail sub-folder of your Profile folder. Delete both the file Inbox.msf and the file Inbox with no extension.

Restart SeaMonkey and you should find a new, empty Inbox folder in place. Copy any messages you MUST have in your Inbox from the sub-folder created above to the Inbox. Compact the Inbox after those messages are copied in.

If the problem is still present, repeat the above procedure, this time on the target folder, 2019 RECEIVED E MAILS.

The "Real Fix" entry in this article -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders#Real_fix also describes this process.

wwe

Post Posted March 1st, 2020, 12:32 pm

Dan

I think I have a real problem!! I did not make a copy of my IN BOX which I think I should have done and I clicked on IN BOX and clicked on the "Repair folder" button and it looks like I've lost ALL the e mails in the IN BOX. Is there any way possible that I can get them back?

Thanks

"Close SeaMonkey and navigate to the Profile folder -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_SeaMonkey
Make a copy of the file Inbox with no file name extension.
Restart SeaMonkey and open the email module. Right click on name Inbox in the left hand pane and select "Properties" from the displayed menu, then click on the "Repair folder" button.
Try again to compact the Inbox. If the same error message is displayed, try the following procedure:

wwe

Post Posted March 1st, 2020, 1:29 pm

Dan

I did call my server up and they were only able to restore only 17 some e mails from YESTERDAY because I have a POP server. They couldn't tell me if there's anyway to recover them all but maybe you might know.

Thanks

amrad

Post Posted March 1st, 2020, 5:43 pm

@ wwe,

If you open your Inbox (without an extension) with SeaMonkey completely closed, in a text editor, you will be able to see all the emails that are in the Inbox, if there are any.

In the email headers is this: X-Mozilla-Status: ****, where **** is a number.

If you change any that are non-zero to zero, that is X-Mozilla-Status: 0000, then save the text file, you should be able to see those emails in your Inbox when you restart SeaMonkey.

Regards,

Dave.

wwe

Post Posted March 2nd, 2020, 6:45 am

Thanks Dave but I don't understand many things about what you said:

1) I do use Bbedit which is a test editor. I don't know how to open the Inbox without an extension as you said
2) and where would I fund X-Mozilla-Status:?

wwe

Post Posted March 2nd, 2020, 7:02 am

Also Dave I'm not even sure why the MOZILLA mail file shows anything to do with COMCAST as I haven't been with them for a year.

Dan mentioned "Well, that certainly doesn't look promising, with no dates showing more recent than January 14 of this year. " So does he mean that possibly I could get my lost e mails before Jan. 14? If so that would be great if possible.

DanRaisch

Post Posted March 2nd, 2020, 8:28 am

A) Any text editor can open a SeaMonkey message file like Inbox. No filename extension should be needed. If the file is very large (over 2GB for instance) some editors might not be able to handle it but (at least for Windows) there are editors which can handle larger files.

B) X-Mozilla-Status would appear as one piece of the data in the text file, once you are viewing it in the text editor. If, with SeaMonkey NOT running, you navigate to the SeaMonkey profile folder ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_SeaMonkey ) and locate the sub-directory \Mail you should find a next level sub-directory with a name reflecting the name of your email provider (eg Hotmail, or Gmail, or Comcast, etc.) In that sub-directory you should find pairs of files with names like Inbox, Sent, Trash, Drafts, etc. One file of each of those sets will have the filename extension .msf. That's a sort of index file. The other files of each pair will have no filename extension. Thus you should see Inbox and Inbox.msf. If you open the file Inbox (without extension) in a text editor (just double click on the file name) you should be able to view the contents of the file and locate all instances of the term X-Mozilla-Status. Then, "If you change any [X-Mozilla-Status values] that are non-zero to zero, that is X-Mozilla-Status: 0000, then save the text file, you should be able to see those emails in your Inbox when you restart SeaMonkey."

C) No, my point was that the only files listed in that screen shot with a date in 2020 is a sub-directory named "mail.comcast-1.net" and the sub-directory "Local Folders". These appear to have been last updated on January 14, 2020 and January 11, 2020 respectively. Of the other listed files, most date back to 2017 or 2016. I have no idea why there are no newer files from which to try to recover messages but that's what is shown in that image.

Return to SeaMonkey Support