MozillaZine

2.53 memory leaks

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
ndebord

Post Posted April 24th, 2020, 10:12 am

DanRaisch wrote:It would be best to keep to one subject here and the original was memory leaks. Crashes would be better discussed in a new topic.

Dan,

Yes will do so if I get more crashes in the future. And if they will post.

Tks,

Nick
-N- Quis custodiet ipsos custodes
SeaMonkey, Acer Spin, Windows 10 Home (X64), WinPatrol, MalwarebytesPremium & PandaDome

robobox

Post Posted April 24th, 2020, 4:01 pm

Not really noticing any memory leaks with 2.53.1 on Windows 10.

therube

Post Posted April 25th, 2020, 3:42 am

extensive playback of media files. Also use a script and ad blocker

Here you go.
Not using much physical RAM, particularly.
Less then 2GB, certainly well less then 4GB, certainly well less then theoretical limits.

Yet - at this point, while my browser itself wasn't too bad, it started to affect external programs.
I'm most apt to see this with my video player (MPlayer with the MPUI GUI).
For whatever reason, if I'm running into "browser" situations (& it need not be "just" SeaMonkey, I can cause [though probably with more effort] the same to occur in FF [& others]) MPlayer+MPUI turns out to be an "early indicator". What happens is that the player GUI opens, but clips won't play. (And it is not only that player that fails. Other players too will fail, or fail to some degree, but this pair seems more "vulnerable", more apt to fail, earlier then others. Nonetheless...)

So here are memory reports.

1. base report
2. GC
3. CC
4. minimize memory usage

(And not that I know how to make sense of the numbers), but... the point is even with "reduced memory", at best there might be a momentary reprieve. In the end, at some point, there will be no option except to restart the browser.

Now is this a "memory leak"? Doing 2. 3. 4. did certainly "reduce memory usage" - in this case, but it did nothing to "resolve" the underlying issue.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

Justinh

Post Posted April 26th, 2020, 5:36 pm

From other problems I've seen in 2.53, I wonder if this is caused by closed pages/tab not actually closing all the resources with it like it normally would, almost like it isn't actually closing the page.

Peter Creasey

Post Posted April 27th, 2020, 7:02 am

The last few days I've had to close and relaunch SM several times during the day the to get rid of the processing lag-time with browser and email usage. This was never a problem before and I have not changed my browsing habits, plus I run SM lean and clean (read: no add-ons/extensions).
. . . . . . . . . . Pete

therube

Post Posted April 27th, 2020, 12:32 pm

Not that I have any idea what it means, & as I've been corrected many times already ;-) ... anyhow, Each new tab leaks memory?.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

Peter Creasey

Post Posted April 27th, 2020, 12:37 pm

For the record, I very frequently open and close new windows (rather than new tabs) as I'm browsing with SM.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete

Return to SeaMonkey Support