2.53 memory leaks

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
jwq

Re: 2.53 memory leaks

Post by jwq »

therube wrote: I'd say that bears investigating (just not sure where to say to start)?
I'm hoping frg will be able to give some guidance...
epp

Post by epp »

I have SeaMonkey 2.53.3 running on Fedora Linux 32 (64-bit), using the Fedora-supplied package. New profile, no browser-related add-ons, no ad blocker. about:memory with one tab (mozillaZine Forums) open and SM Mail & News open - but minimized, not exchanging mail.

about:memory showed SeaMonkey starting out at 280Mb. I then opened a new tab and loaded Yahoo. Kept on scrolling until it finally reached the end of the page. Then looked at about:memory again. Just the addition of the Yahoo main page, caused SeaMonkey memory usage to exceed 800Mb.

Closed the Yahoo tab. Took about 10 seconds for the memory usage to drop, initially went as low as 370Mb, crept up to 420Mb, then dropped to 310Mb, gradually went back up to 440Mb, then back down to 305Mb. The only actions during this fluctuations, were simply refreshing about:memory each time. The tab with mozillaZine Forums and the Mail & News window (still minimized) were still open.

Clearly, Yahoo's home page is a factor in increased memory usage. If you can scroll to the bottom of the screen fast enough, you'll see more content continue to load in automatically, until it eventually stops. One web page, taking up more than an additional 500Mb of memory, is excessive.

FWIW, Yahoo's sister site, AOL: SeaMonkey started out using 283Mb. After AOL's home page finished loading, about:memory showed 515Mb.
Debian unstable
Justinh

Post by Justinh »

I may have found the issue with memory issues and the media reload issue (http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3060856). SM is not completely shutting down pages when the tab is closed.

I can start SM (add-ins disabled), close the Yahoo.com home page, browse to homedepot.com (as an example), close that page. Now the only tab open is a blank tab. Run about:memory -> Measure, and you see Yahoo and Home Depot pages still holding memory.

Could this also be why SM frequently just pauses for a second or two?
4td8s

Post by 4td8s »

well it looks like a partial fix to the RAM usage / memory leak problem might be included in the upcoming 2.53.9b1 and 2.53.9 releases
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

A lot of performance issues were already fixed in 2.53.8. Of course, if there's more to come in 2.53.9 then far be it from me to complain. :)

Incidentally, I recently noticed that HTTPS Everywhere, an add-on that I'd been using for a decade or more, has been eating up many gigabytes of memory. I reported the issue to the developers, who claim that SeaMonkey isn't supported, though past changelogs and release announcements have specifically touted SeaMonkey support. (I think the developers may simply have forgotten about SeaMonkey compatibility as opposed to consciously deciding to drop support.) At any rate, deactivating the add-on resulted in a significant performance boost. Most sites nowadays are already running HTTPS only anyway, and/or automatically redirecting HTTP to HTTPS, which makes the add-on less necessary.
d4rkn1ght

Post by d4rkn1ght »

Psychonaut wrote:A lot of performance issues were already fixed in 2.53.8. Of course, if there's more to come in 2.53.9 then far be it from me to complain. :)

Incidentally, I recently noticed that HTTPS Everywhere, an add-on that I'd been using for a decade or more, has been eating up many gigabytes of memory.
I stopped using HTTPS Everywhere for Pale Moon's HTTPS Always. It works great in SeaMonkey and it does a pretty good job at keeping pages secure.

I don't know how much memory consumption it takes next to HTTPS Everywhere, but give it try if you haven't already!
frg

Post by frg »

2.53.9b1 is out. Please give it a try.

Among others (about 1800 of them) patch for https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1370412 is in.
RDaneel

Post by RDaneel »

Gosh, the phrase "preview of SeaMonkey's future" really must apply - the 2.53.9 Beta 1 is listed as being "Released August 12, 2021"! ;)

Any idea how this relates to Bill's build from yesterday (I haven't seen one today)?
frg

Post by frg »

> Gosh, the phrase "preview of SeaMonkey's future" really must apply - the 2.53.9 Beta 1 is listed as being "Released August 12, 2021"! ;)

ewong was fast and managed to transfer it in just a day. Overlooked. Will fix it later.

> Any idea how this relates to Bill's build from yesterday (I haven't seen one today)?

Missing a few cZ enhancements for SASL and passwords among others. A new option for diverting tab opening too. Otherwise identical.

Todays one will mostly have internal rust updates not visible to the user.
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

d4rkn1ght wrote:I stopped using HTTPS Everywhere for Pale Moon's HTTPS Always. It works great in SeaMonkey and it does a pretty good job at keeping pages secure.

I don't know how much memory consumption it takes next to HTTPS Everywhere, but give it try if you haven't already!
Thanks for the tip! I've just installed it and so far it doesn't seem to be hogging any memory. (By contrast, the very moment I enable HTTPS Everywhere, memory usage shoots up by about 7 GB.)