Re: 2.53 memory leaks

Post by Peter Creasey »

Thanks, I'm trying that.

How do I undo it if I need to?
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

I do need to know how to undo that setting change, please.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
RDaneel

Post by RDaneel »

I may not be understanding your question, but if it is referring to the suggestion (aka "test") with SM's memory usage machinery, there is no setting to revert or undo - these are one-shot buttons that make the requested action happen once, immediately.

Then, after observing the presumably changed memory usage in your system, forget about (close) the about:memory tab you opened and go on about your business. :)
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

You got my question correctly. And I appreciate your response. I wondered if that was the case.

What's needed, in my case at least, is something to stop/minimize the dramatic memory usage buildup when going from website to website. The frequent stop/relaunch of SM tends to get tiresome.

Thanks.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

TPR75 wrote:
Peter Creasey wrote:In address bar type "about:memory" and press Enter key -> in "Free memory" field try all three buttons from left to right: GC, CC, Minimize memory usage

It worked for me today when SeaMonkey took over 1.8 GB of RAM and was using CPU more then usual (with all websites/tabs closed). After above method memory usage dropped to c.a. 700 MB.
In my case just now, that strategy reduced my SM memory usage from ~1,200 MB down to around ~600 MB. When SM first starts up, I've seen it using ~300 - 350 MB.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

TPR75 wrote:
Peter Creasey wrote: It seems logical, to me at least, that SM should not be bogged down by a site's memory requirements once SM leaves that site. Guess that's not the case.

It sounds like there's not really anything I can do.
Try this:
In address bar type "about:memory" and press Enter key -> in "Free memory" field try all three buttons from left to right: GC, CC, Minimize memory usage

It worked for me today when SeaMonkey took over 1.8 GB of RAM and was using CPU more then usual (with all websites/tabs closed). After above method memory usage dropped to c.a. 700 MB.

I don't know what caused it because I didn't visited other websites than usual.
TPR75

A good tip... while waiting for an upgrade that backports fixes. Might I suggest adding about:memory as a bookmark and put it in bookmarks toolbar where I also keep the"Show BookMark Toolbar Menu" icon on the Navigation toolbar. Activate that icon by right-clicking on the Navigation toolbar and use customize to scroll to find the icon. It may only be there if you have ToolBar Buttons extension. Whenever System Explorer shows that SeaMonkey is accumulating memory, I open up the bookmark called about:memory and do what has been suggested here, clear out as much as is possible in this version. Much thanks.

Nick
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Nick etal, yes, it is a good tip...one that I've been using often. It knocks my large memory tie-up down to ~600 MB (versus about ~300 at SM startup). Very helpful reduction that is better than shutting down and relaunching SeaMonkey.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

Peter Creasey wrote:Nick etal, yes, it is a good tip...one that I've been using often. It knocks my large memory tie-up down to ~600 MB (versus about ~300 at SM startup). Very helpful reduction that is better than shutting down and relaunching SeaMonkey.
Peter,

Yes, a good kludge for a problem that may be fixed in future versions. We shall see.

Nick
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
therube

Post by therube »

Am I somehow the only SM supporter that is experiencing the memory issue and having to frequently close SM then relaunch?
Depending where I go, what I do...
I can rather quickly load up SeaMonkey to the point where I need to restart SeaMonkey to get acceptable performance (for a time, before the same occurs).
Other times, other places, I can run SeaMonkey days on end without issue.

I can rather quickly load up Firefox to the point where I need to restart Firefox to get acceptable performance (for a time, before the same occurs).
Other times, other places, I can run Firefox days on end without issue.
(Well, not really, cause I'd never run FF days on end.)

On "troublesome" websites, a different browser may work better, may be able to go longer before getting to the point where restarting is necessary.

Usually it is the case that with troublesome sites, Firefox "outperforms" SeaMonkey for that particular situation.
Similarly, usually x64 browser version can generally go longer before getting to the point where restarting is necessary - compared to x86.

(Forced) garbage collection, IMO, & in particularly once you've reached the point where your browser isn't running acceptably, is garbage (basically) & usually only provides at best a momentary, if that, relief in symptoms. (While "memory" usage may decrease, some, or even quite a bit, it is less likely that the symptoms you're experience go away. A restart will most likely be needed, regardless.)

(Oh, & I sit here now, using ~1.5 GB of RAM, mostly due to my extensive number of windows/tabs that I open from Session Restore on startup.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

therube wrote: On "troublesome" websites, a different browser may work better, may be able to go longer before getting to the point where restarting is necessary.

Similarly, usually x64 browser version can generally go longer before getting to the point where restarting is necessary - compared to x86.
therube,

Although I now have my very first 64 bit system, habit has lent me to continue to use 32 bit apps, although I am slowly adapting. Your point about using a different browser is hard to accept, but reality bites. I use Open in Chrome extension to load up my derivative Chrome (Vivaldi) for some financial sites that bark at SeaMonkey use.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

I have added about:memory to my toolbar for regular use. Very handy.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Hmm, if you're not using an ad blocker ? ....... :-k
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
4td8s

Post by 4td8s »

mightyglydd wrote:Hmm, if you're not using an ad blocker ? ....... :-k
ah but I'm using uBlock origin legacy on SM 2.53.x and I'm still getting those RAM leaks no matter what

but at least TPR75's tip is very useful
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Yes, the increase in the memory usage continues even with uBlock in force and, yes, the memory tip is quite handy.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
smhardesty

Post by smhardesty »

I haven't posted anything on here for a while. I found this thread while searching for solutions to serious slow downs and memory problems with my SM 2.53.2. I just read from start to finish. What I saw could very well turn me away from SeaMonkey and Mozilla based browsers once and for all. There seems to be some sort of thinking that if a guy actually uses his browser and especially if he opens more than one tab at a time, he should then expect his browser to slow down, stop, and crash. And according to at least one reply, I should find the "Restart button" and learn how to use it. After all, he says, that's why GOD made it and I should learn to use it and "move on to something more meaningful in life".

Well, to Mr Frank Lion, that's about as piss poor a comment to make on a forum to an individual having a serious problem that IS with the browser, not the user. I certainly have no respect for someone like you. Yes, I see how many posts you have made. Not impressed. Certainly not impressed you with as a human being. Why don't you keep those remarks to yourself? Can't, can you. You need to attempt to degrade other people to try and look important. Why don't you actually apply that time to researching the problem and offering a real fix?

The memory problem is BOTH memory used and retained by the browser AND memory leaks. I tried a fresh power up on this laptop, launched SM 2.53, and then left the laptop running. My home page is a blank page. I have SM installed on a very fresh install of Zorin OS. I launched Task Manager and noticed the memory used at that point was 17%. I then closed Task manager, leaving only a single SM page open to a blank page. After an approximate 10 hour period I again launched SM. Memory usage was at 42% and upon checking individual processes, it was all in SM. Right now, I have 2 tabs open in SM and no other app loaded. I launched Task Manager and I see that SM is using 527MiB of my 4GB of physical memory. That seems like a pretty good load to me. Tor doesn't eat that much.
and Chromium sure doesn't.

I regularly open from 10 to 20 tabs on my browser when I frequent the forums I belong to. I have done this for YEARS AND YEARS. Never once did I run into this memory problem until I upgraded from SM 2.49. It only began when I upgraded to 2.53. If someone can tell me that there will eventually be a fix for the problem, I'll happily download and install SM 2.49 again. I know it will work on this laptop, with this hardware, and with this install of Zorin OS.