2.53 memory leaks

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
ndebord

Re: 2.53 memory leaks

Post by ndebord »

DanRaisch wrote:It would be best to keep to one subject here and the original was memory leaks. Crashes would be better discussed in a new topic.
Dan,

Yes will do so if I get more crashes in the future. And if they will post.

Tks,

Nick
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
robobox

Post by robobox »

Not really noticing any memory leaks with 2.53.1 on Windows 10.
- sincerely, robobox
therube

Post by therube »

extensive playback of media files. Also use a script and ad blocker
Here you go.
Not using much physical RAM, particularly.
Less then 2GB, certainly well less then 4GB, certainly well less then theoretical limits.

Yet - at this point, while my browser itself wasn't too bad, it started to affect external programs.
I'm most apt to see this with my video player (MPlayer with the MPUI GUI).
For whatever reason, if I'm running into "browser" situations (& it need not be "just" SeaMonkey, I can cause [though probably with more effort] the same to occur in FF [& others]) MPlayer+MPUI turns out to be an "early indicator". What happens is that the player GUI opens, but clips won't play. (And it is not only that player that fails. Other players too will fail, or fail to some degree, but this pair seems more "vulnerable", more apt to fail, earlier then others. Nonetheless...)

So here are memory reports.

1. base report
2. GC
3. CC
4. minimize memory usage

(And not that I know how to make sense of the numbers), but... the point is even with "reduced memory", at best there might be a momentary reprieve. In the end, at some point, there will be no option except to restart the browser.

Now is this a "memory leak"? Doing 2. 3. 4. did certainly "reduce memory usage" - in this case, but it did nothing to "resolve" the underlying issue.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Justinh

Post by Justinh »

From other problems I've seen in 2.53, I wonder if this is caused by closed pages/tab not actually closing all the resources with it like it normally would, almost like it isn't actually closing the page.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

The last few days I've had to close and relaunch SM several times during the day the to get rid of the processing lag-time with browser and email usage. This was never a problem before and I have not changed my browsing habits, plus I run SM lean and clean (read: no add-ons/extensions).
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
therube

Post by therube »

Not that I have any idea what it means, & as I've been corrected many times already ;-) ... anyhow, Each new tab leaks memory?.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

For the record, I very frequently open and close new windows (rather than new tabs) as I'm browsing with SM.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

I re-launched SeaMonkey and the Task Manager told me SM was using 300 - 350MB.

After using SeaMonkey for a fairly short while, the Task Manager told me SM was using 1,300MB.

I shut SM down and re-launched and was then told SM was using 425MB.

I'm constantly needing to shut SM down and re-launch it to have normal response.

Can someone suggest what I might do so SM is operating at its more optimum level?
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
therube

Post by therube »

Stop visiting sites that cause SeaMonkey (or browsers in general) to work at sub-optimal levels.
Maybe an ad blocker can help, some, in that respect, uBlock Origin (uBlock-for-firefox-legacy).
Perhaps the latest SeaMonkey version is a hair more efficient?
(At the least, it should be more secure.)
Oops. Forget that part. Got my dots & T's mixed up. 2.53.2 is still the latest release.

Perhaps the 64-bit version of SeaMonkey will better allowing for these higher RAM usages before becoming unwieldy.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

therube wrote:Stop visiting sites that cause SeaMonkey (or browsers in general) to work at sub-optimal levels.
Thanks for the suggestion. How might the best way to be to judge which site impair SeaMonkey?
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Offering an advisory based on my stats.

The stats I've observed indicate that the memory usage by SeaMonkey increases at most every (perhaps every) site that's visited and stays high even after closing out of the sites. Thus, frequent closing and relaunching of SM is needed.

Hopefully someone is looking into this.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

The silence on this issue is deafening.

Am I somehow the only SM supporter that is experiencing the memory issue and having to frequently close SM then relaunch?

Can anyone suggest a remedy I might try (other than avoiding a lot of sites)?
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
frg

Post by frg »

You are using an x86 build. This one is limited to about 3GB and then it will crap out. Without NoScript and uBlock it will crap out faster. I am now and then see extensive memory usage but usually it is just bad websites.

x64 is no saviour but usually behaves better.

SeaMonkey is still missing a few enhancement bugs like this one:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=523950

Every enhancement fix I can find and which applies halfway clean goes in over time.

But seriously. Huge animated gifs on a general website is sane? Yeahh right.... You now see this regularly. Huge background pictures and completly insane stuff.

FRG
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Thanks for the explanation.

It seems logical, to me at least, that SM should not be bogged down by a site's memory requirements once SM leaves that site. Guess that's not the case.

It sounds like there's not really anything I can do.

Appreciate all that you do with/for SeaMonkey.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Peter Creasey wrote: It seems logical, to me at least, that SM should not be bogged down by a site's memory requirements once SM leaves that site. Guess that's not the case.

It sounds like there's not really anything I can do.
Try this:
In address bar type "about:memory" and press Enter key -> in "Free memory" field try all three buttons from left to right: GC, CC, Minimize memory usage

It worked for me today when SeaMonkey took over 1.8 GB of RAM and was using CPU more then usual (with all websites/tabs closed). After above method memory usage dropped to c.a. 700 MB.

I don't know what caused it because I didn't visited other websites than usual.
--