MozillaZine

2.53 memory leaks

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
jwq

Post Posted August 20th, 2020, 6:43 am

therube wrote:I'd say that bears investigating (just not sure where to say to start)?

I'm hoping frg will be able to give some guidance...

epp

Post Posted August 23rd, 2020, 6:33 pm

I have SeaMonkey 2.53.3 running on Fedora Linux 32 (64-bit), using the Fedora-supplied package. New profile, no browser-related add-ons, no ad blocker. about:memory with one tab (mozillaZine Forums) open and SM Mail & News open - but minimized, not exchanging mail.

about:memory showed SeaMonkey starting out at 280Mb. I then opened a new tab and loaded Yahoo. Kept on scrolling until it finally reached the end of the page. Then looked at about:memory again. Just the addition of the Yahoo main page, caused SeaMonkey memory usage to exceed 800Mb.

Closed the Yahoo tab. Took about 10 seconds for the memory usage to drop, initially went as low as 370Mb, crept up to 420Mb, then dropped to 310Mb, gradually went back up to 440Mb, then back down to 305Mb. The only actions during this fluctuations, were simply refreshing about:memory each time. The tab with mozillaZine Forums and the Mail & News window (still minimized) were still open.

Clearly, Yahoo's home page is a factor in increased memory usage. If you can scroll to the bottom of the screen fast enough, you'll see more content continue to load in automatically, until it eventually stops. One web page, taking up more than an additional 500Mb of memory, is excessive.

FWIW, Yahoo's sister site, AOL: SeaMonkey started out using 283Mb. After AOL's home page finished loading, about:memory showed 515Mb.
Fedora 32

Return to SeaMonkey Support