exporting of bookmarks

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Justinh

exporting of bookmarks

Post by Justinh »

What is a good way to export bookmarks with high fidelity? I see only two ways in the Manager (now called "Library"?): Export as HTML or Backup.

Backup (JSON) is not very readable (had to prettify it just to read it at all), and fields with NULL values aren't included. It would have to be programmatically turned into something readable/convert-able, and I'd rather not spend that time for bookmarks.

Export doesn't show all fields and multi-line strings show as one continuous line (so it is not readable), and all the fields are not visible (have to look as source to see them, so that is kinda weird altogether).

I'm ultimately wanting to get a printer-friendly output (of useful fields) or something to import into a spreadsheet. Something like that. Properly displaying multi-line text is important (I have a lot of it in the Descriptions).
Frank Lion

Re: exporting of bookmarks

Post by Frank Lion »

Justinh wrote:What is a good way to export bookmarks with high fidelity? I see only two ways in the Manager (now called "Library"?): Export as HTML or Backup.
Export as HTML
Export doesn't show all fields and multi-line strings show as one continuous line (so it is not readable), and all the fields are not visible (have to look as source to see them, so that is kinda weird altogether).
They wrap fine, both in SM and in Programmer's Notepad.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Justinh

Post by Justinh »

Multiple lines do not wrap (rather, use EOL) in the HTML output.

in the bookmark Desc field:
Hello
World

in the HTML (as rendered in SM):
Hello World
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Justinh wrote:Multiple lines do not wrap (rather, use EOL) in the HTML output.
If you say so.

Good luck with your problem.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Justinh

Post by Justinh »

To be clear, I am not talking about wrapped text (one long string) in the description field. I'm talking about multiple discrete lines. I probably described it inaccurately before, so my apologies.

A
B
C
-- NOT --
A B C

I assure you I am not lying. The HTML code has no accommodation for breaking at EOL characters.
therube

Post by therube »

Maybe (Nirsoft's) FavoritesView will help?
(You may need to point it to your places.sqlite file, File | Select Favorites File/Folder.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Justinh

Post by Justinh »

therube wrote:Maybe (Nirsoft's) FavoritesView will help?
(You may need to point it to your places.sqlite file, File | Select Favorites File/Folder.)
Nice thought, but that utility requires you to first export to HTML, but then it doesn't pick up all the bookmark fields (the ones I need). It is handy for finding duplicates. :D Thanks.

Anyone know how to show the bookmark folder location in the Library dialog? If appears the add-on I used before 2.53 doesn't work anymore. (Shouldn't this be out-of-the box functionality?)
hardys

Post by hardys »

If you are familiar with database tools, you can try SQLite Manager
I'm using version 0.8.3.1-signed.1-signed in SM 2.53.3b1
You can export as sql or csv

https://addons.thunderbird.net/EN-uS/se ... er/?src=ss
Justinh

Post by Justinh »

hardys wrote:If you are familiar with database tools, you can try SQLite Manager
I'm using version 0.8.3.1-signed.1-signed in SM 2.53.3b1
You can export as sql or csv

https://addons.thunderbird.net/EN-uS/se ... er/?src=ss
The author says it stopped working with Fx 57, and neither SM 2.49 or 2.53 (Fx 60?) like it. Are you using it? With what SM version? How do you install it?
hardys

Post by hardys »

hardys wrote:I'm using version 0.8.3.1-signed.1-signed in SM 2.53.3b1
It is working just fine here in SM 2.53.3b1 on WIN10 prof 64bit (also worked in SM 2.53.1), maybe you have to change the max version in the install.rdf file or use the converter from http://addonconverter.fotokraina.com/
therube

Post by therube »

(No changes need here, simply install it. That said, don't believe this will meet the OP's needs?)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript