Does Gmail IMAP still work?

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
ugcheleuce

Does Gmail IMAP still work?

Post by ugcheleuce »

Hello

In January this year, I was able to download mails via IMAP from my Gmail account, but today, when I tried it again, it keeps telling me the password is incorrect. My Gmail password was last changed in 2017. Gmail (as accessed via the web) did warn me about an insecure app trying to access it, but I then changed my settings to "allow" insecure apps. Still, SeaMonkey keeps telling me the password is incorrect. When I restarted SeaMonkey, I was able to input my password manually, and so I'm sure the password used by SeaMonkey is the correct password. So I'm wondering: can one still access Gmail IMAP with SeaMonkey, or is that over?

I'm using the latest version of SeaMonkey (2.49.5), Windows 10. My Gmail settings in SeaMonkey are correct (port 993, etc.).

Thanks
Samuel
DanRaisch

Re: Does Gmail IMAP still work?

Post by DanRaisch »

When I restarted SeaMonkey, I was able to input my password manually, and so I'm sure the password used by SeaMonkey is the correct password. So I'm wondering: can one still access Gmail IMAP with SeaMonkey, or is that over?
It sounds as though you've answered your own question! It's apparently an issue with the password SeaMonkey is submitting to Gmail, not to SeaMonkey per se.
In SeaMonkey, use menu path Tools->Password Manager->Manage Stored Passwords->select the problem account in the left hand pane, then click on the "Website" entry for the account->click on the "Remove" button. Close the dialogues and close SeaMonkey to ensure any cached values are removed from memory. When you start SeaMonkey and access your mail, you should be asked for a passord and you can then enter the correct value and check the box to have SeaMonkey retain that value.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

ugcheleuce wrote:I'm using the latest version of SeaMonkey (2.49.5), Windows 10.
Latest is SeaMonkey 2.53.1:
https://www.seamonkey-project.org/relea ... key2.53.1/
Manual update only. Read release notes and make backup before update.
--
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

It could be the username that is incorrect. SeaMonkey will complain that the password is incorrect if the mistake is in the username.
therube

Post by therube »

(I think, & could be wrong, & don't particularly follow Mail, but... I seem to recall something that after a wrongly entered, maybe it was username ?, after correcting that, something like a valid password would not longer work to log you in?)

In any case, & in particular considering this is IMAP, can hurt to test in a new, clean Profile, entering your un/pw anew.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
frg

Post by frg »

You probably need 2.53.1 to use oauth 2. Google now frequently makes the web safer for changing specs to their liking and shutting out other applications.
We like standards as long as these are our standards...

FRG
ugcheleuce

Post by ugcheleuce »

Thanks, everyone. The problem just kinda sorted itself out (isn't that frustrating?). So, I confirm that my version still works with Gmail.