Site Compatibility SeaMonkey

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
iFix

Site Compatibility SeaMonkey

Post by iFix »

Hi all,

Site 1.

Here in Australia there is a talk forum whirlpool.net.au and a feature doesn't work as it used to.

In reply to a thread a user can select text and it will be quoted if the author enables the button which appears next to the selection, then it will populate the edit window head, ready with a response and a reference to the quoted author.

EG: https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/143

This feature works in Firefox and other browsers; I have tried 3 ISP's, different profiles, safe mode, UA string etc / no change.

Site 2.

Telco site and the shop button doesn't work if the user selects the "Add Plan" button in the middle of the page (one in each data package size); No checkout.

EG: https://www.telstra.com.au/internet/data-plans

This feature works in Firefox and other browsers; I have tried 3 ISP's, different profiles, safe mode, UA string etc / no change.
iFix
"the farmer in the great heartland, corporate greed and chemicals are killin' the land" {Neil Young - greendale 2003}
Frank Lion

Re: Site Compatibility SeaMonkey

Post by Frank Lion »

iFix wrote:Telco site and the shop button doesn't work if the user selects the "Add Plan" button in the middle of the page (one in each data package size); No checkout.

EG: https://www.telstra.com.au/internet/data-plans
For that site, use M$ Edge Beta - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14860111

The quick checklist for doing site compat - on a website generally.

1. Don't have that Lightning thing in your UA string, as it causes some sites to break. Turn off that option in Option>Advanced>somewhere.

2. Disable adblocking for the site and reload.

3. Run through various UA strings with the User Agent Switcher extension, including Edge Beta, and reload each time.

4. Try Edge Beta. You'll need it to watch DRM stuff anyway. I use a 'Open with Internet Explorer' extension, which I have pathed to Edge Beta. This means you just right click the site in SM and select that and the site opens immediately in the new browser, making it all very quick.

The above is all very quick. Site specific UA overrides can can later, if required.

As for your 1st site - I didn't understand those hoops required to jump through to get to your problem.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
frg

Post by frg »

> iFix wrote:
> Telco site and the shop button doesn't work if the user selects the "Add Plan" button in the middle of the page (one in each data package size); No checkout.

> EG: https://www.telstra.com.au/internet/data-plans
>> For that site, use M$ Edge Beta - viewtopic.php?p=14860111#p14860111

Works here. 2.53.3b1 pre. We just did 2.53.2b1 today and it should show up hopefully soon/next week. Give it a try.

> The quick checklist for doing site compat - on a website generally.

> 1. Don't have that Lightning thing in your UA string, as it causes some sites to break. Turn off that option in Option>Advanced>somewhere.

Won't bother you no more in 2.53.2b1 and up. Gone and done. TB just removed it and so we did too. Seems the orginal sites which needed it for calendar integration are all gone.

FRG
iFix

Post by iFix »

Hi all and thank you for the replies.

I have spent substantial time on the suggestions and have made no progress on either.

Such as installing the User Agent Switcher and added the latest Strings; Made no difference.

Now there is another:

3. Comment post editor at https://theconversation.com/uk has Markdown syntax and exhibited a loss of cursor and text selection (no highlight) in the compose window after the user chooses the "Preview" button to reveal the final post input.

Just now I have installed the current release of Windows 10 onto an HP workstation and "out of the box - no customisations of any kind" SeaMonkey 2.53.1(x64) and then 2.49.4(x86); Two ISP's tested, All three sites behave the same.
iFix
"the farmer in the great heartland, corporate greed and chemicals are killin' the land" {Neil Young - greendale 2003}
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

iFix wrote:3. Comment post editor at https://theconversation.com/uk has Markdown syntax and exhibited a loss of cursor and text selection (no highlight) in the compose window after the user chooses the "Preview" button to reveal the final post input.
I don't have account there to test it so you need to check if it helps:
Menu -> Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Scripts & Plugins -> disable/unmark option "Disable or replace context menus"

For UserAgent make sure it is at least this version:

Code: Select all

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/68.0
This should work in most cases. If not then replace "68" with "74"

By default extension "User Agent Switcher" don't have strings for latest browsers. You must edit setting to add them.
--
iFix

Post by iFix »

TPR75 wrote:By default extension "User Agent Switcher" don't have strings for latest browsers. You must edit setting to add them.
Thank you for the reply; Most appreciated.

Yes I added the latest useragent strings available to the tool and verified them at the author's test site, also I unchecked the script feature too; To no avail sadly.

I have tried most all of the SeaMonkey choices, safe mode, new profile, new computer, new SeaMonkey, Old SeaMonkey, 64 Bit SeaMonkey, 32 Bit SeaMonkey, 3 ISP's, closed and opened SeaMonkey into the site(s) but no improvement,

I reckon these sites are something SeaMonkey users' will have to live with.

One aspect I did notice in TheConversation web site is that the edit field returns to normal if the tool tip menu above is toggled (reveal code hints and then closed) and editing has a cursor and text can be highlighted again.

I notice the Error Console reports lots of errors such as:

Timestamp: 04-April-2020, 22:12:03
Error: TypeError: window.performance.getEntriesByType(...)[0] is undefined
Source File:
Line: 83

Timestamp: 04-April-2020, 22:12:06
Error: TypeError: 'block' member of ScrollIntoViewOptions 'center' is not a valid value for enumeration ScrollLogicalPosition.
Source File:

Timestamp: 04-April-2020, 22:20:43
Warning: Key event not available on some keyboard layouts: key=“j” modifiers=“accel,alt” id=“key_errorConsole”
Source File: chrome://navigator/content/navigator.xul
Line: 0

Timestamp: 04-April-2020, 22:20:43
Warning: Key event not available on some keyboard layouts: key=“i” modifiers=“accel,alt,shift” id=“key_browserToolbox”
Source File: chrome://navigator/content/navigator.xul
Line: 0

Timestamp: 04-April-2020, 22:20:53
Error: Error: Permission denied to access property "target"
Source File: https://cdn.theconversation.com/static/ ... fbccb88.js
Line: 134
iFix
therube

Post by therube »

> https://www.telstra.com.au/internet/data-plans
> if the user selects the "Add Plan" button in the middle of the page (one in each data package size); No checkout.

That's what I "see" too.
Click Add Plan, & a "blank" page opens. (Page source has content, but nothing visible.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

therube wrote:> https://www.telstra.com.au/internet/data-plans
> if the user selects the "Add Plan" button in the middle of the page (one in each data package size); No checkout.

That's what I "see" too.
Click Add Plan, & a "blank" page opens. (Page source has content, but nothing visible.)
Strange thing. It works for me. And I've got normal UA, without Fx string:

Code: Select all

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.53.1
Stranger thing is it doesn't work for me... 8-[

Well, I tried it on my default profile and it was working correct (see: pictures)

ADB+ was blocking this only:

But when I tried on Test profile (with English langpack) then I saw blank page too.

I tried completely new profile - fail!

Another test with (not so new) profile for pre-beta (currently 2.53.3) and... it works!

I tried different settings (to make them like in my default profile) but I wasn't able to figure out what is causing this.

Technically it is possible to open this website with SeaMonkey 2.53.1 but I don't know what settings are required. Sorry.

Well... only difference was I succeed on profiles without Firefox advertising. Other had Fx string enabled and then disabled (after visit on Telstra website). I tried to clean data (including cookies) but no go.
--
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

iFix wrote:Now there is another:

3. Comment post editor at ...
Pointing out websites that people have to register with to see the problem is rather pushing the bounds of volunteer user support?

So, out of the 200 million active websites on the Internet, you found 3 that don't work with SeaMonkey, now what? Here's another - https://www.lbc.co.uk/traffic-travel/ do you want a few dozen more? Point is, unless this is a life changing website, then just following the checklist is a quick and effective to achieve the Prime Directive, which is 'Thou shalt visit any website and see it working right damn quick' as opposed to 'Thou shalt spend as much time as humanly possible attempting to get some random website to work right in near EOL SeaMonkey'

I've given many advanced technical answers to both Firefox and SeaMonkey problems over the years, but the point is how much time should be spent looking for Holmesian answers to incompatible websites, when 95%+ get resolved before even hitting the Edge Beta solution on the 1 minute checklist.

For example, DRM sites aside, I use M$ Edge to view just 4 sites on the entire Internet.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
iFix

Post by iFix »

Frank Lion wrote:'Thou shalt spend as much time as humanly possible attempting to get some random website to work right in near EOL SeaMonkey'
Thanks Frank for volunteering; I am a volunteer emergency responder and don't attend all calls, for a reason and, like you want to have SeaMonkey live on.

As I said:
iFix wrote:I reckon these sites are something SeaMonkey users' will have to live with.
iFix
iFix

Post by iFix »

therube wrote:That's what I "see" too.
Thanks !
TPR75 wrote:Strange thing. It works for me. And I've got normal UA, without Fx string:
Thanks for trying and I will put a different language pack into the test workstation later to determine if it works like your 'breakthrough' !

:)
iFix
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

iFix wrote:
TPR75 wrote:Strange thing. It works for me. And I've got normal UA, without Fx string:
Thanks for trying and I will put a different language pack into the test workstation later to determine if it works like your 'breakthrough' !
Language pack doesn't matter. I suspect that Telstra website is using browser's "fingerprint" to remember user. If first contact was with "fake" UA then changes will not help. I don't know how to deal with this kind of website in such situation.
--
iFix

Post by iFix »

TPR75 wrote:Language pack doesn't matter. I suspect that Telstra website is using browser's "fingerprint" to remember user. If first contact was with "fake" UA then changes will not help. I don't know how to deal with this kind of website in such situation.
Ah, I see that is over my 'pay grade' :-s so deep web development like that is very technical and as you say "how to deal with this" ?

Today I did try Polish and it made no difference and I was directly connected to the ISP - Telstra 4G and it will not allow SeaMonkey to show the pages you have seen.

Thank you. :)
iFix
James

Post by James »

Language packs only change your browser's interface language, including menu options and settings.language of the UI as you can have one install and be able to switch the UI between two or more languages. It has no affect on websites.