DELETED ADDRESS BOOK

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
DanRaisch

Re: DELETED ADDRESS BOOK

Post by DanRaisch »

Just to be sure, did you rename the file history.mab to collected.mab and the file abook.mab to history.mab?
wwe

Post by wwe »

DanRaisch wrote:Just to be sure, did you rename the file history.mab to collected.mab and the file abook.mab to history.mab?
Dan,

Yes I did. I can do it again to be sure if you think that might help!! But let me ask you this - by doing what you said how will this bring back the address book I titled AUTOMATIC CUSTOMERS with all the addresses on it?

Thanks.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

It won't as I was not aware that you were referring to a user created address book rather than one of the two default address books created by Thunderbird during installation.
wwe wrote:Of course with the Mac I have TIME MACHINE which is great but that doesn't help me with anything relating to SEAMONKEY
Why do you say that?

How many files with the extension .mab are in your Thunderbird profile and what are there names?.
wwe

Post by wwe »

Oh sorry Dan for not explaining this better!!

I went to Library / Mozilla / Profiles / 4w6sv9pk.default / extensions

If that's correct then I'm not sure where to go. I see many book - ?.mab I could click on but is that where you want me to go?

There is something called "extensions" but clicking on this doesn't look like what you mean

I can't seem to find "extension.mab"
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

The ".mab" I referred to is the file name extension (sort of a last name or surname) for all of the files in which SeaMonkey stores address book data. So we're not looking for a file named extension.mab. (See this link for clarity on what extension means in this context-- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filename_extension )
DanRaisch wrote:How many files with the extension {lastname/suffix} .mab are in your Thunderbird profile and what are there names?.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

The pathname to my address book is:
~/Library/Application Support/SeaMonkey/Profiles/[whatever].default/abook.mab.
If you made a backup of everything, that is where you should be looking.
wwe

Post by wwe »

Thanks Dan. I'll look for this tonight! I think I did see many abook.mab's but I'll check later
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Doesn’t Time Machine let you select previous versions of files to recover/restore?
wwe

Post by wwe »

Dan

Right now if I go to:

~/Library/Application Support/SeaMonkey/Profiles/[whatever].default/abook.mab.

I show abook.mab October 3, 2018 at 2:30PM 1KB Bbedit

This doesn't seem right to me, is it? Only 1KB

Should I look somewhere else?

Thanks
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

No, that's the correct location but that result suggests that you have an empty address book there.
Did you review what can be restored from Time Machine?
wwe

Post by wwe »

YEs I used GIME MACHINE and went back 3 weeks but it showed the same thing as I mentioned about.

My other ADDRESS BOOKS are fine but shouldn't they also be under the abook.mab folder?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

shouldn't they also be under the abook.mab folder?
abook.mab is not a folder, it's a file name. Other address books would have different file name but would be in the same ~/Library/Application Support/SeaMonkey/Profiles/[whatever].default/ folder/sub-directory as that file abook.mab. Their names would also end with .mab but might have names like abook-1.mab, abook-2.mab or the like.
wwe

Post by wwe »

Dan. I just found a batch of a abook.mab's (2-27 but 26 is missing) I thought if I went back using TIME MACHINE maybe book.mab-26 would be the one I'm missing but I went back weeks ago when the missing address book was there and i saw no abook.mab-26. But maybe this is not what I should have done

SO any ideas now?
amrad

Post by amrad »

@ wwe,

If you can find an abook-**.mab that you are /certain/ contains your missing abook.mab, then I would suggest doing this, with SeaMonkey completely closed:

1. Make a backup of your existing abook.mab, rename it abook-current.mab.
2. Open your abook-current.mab in a text editor.
3. Open the abook-**.mab you found that contains your missing address book in a text editor.
4. Replace the contents of the abook-current.mab with the contents of abook-**.mab.
5. Save the abook.**mab as abook.mab.

When you restart SeaMonkey, you should find your missing address book in the Personal Address Book in SeaMonkey.

Regards,

Dave.
wwe

Post by wwe »

Dave. Thanks. I'll try this