set FTP client to connect over SSL/TLS as the encryptio

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
elake

set FTP client to connect over SSL/TLS as the encryptio

Post by elake »

This morning I couldn't connect to my web site to do an update via SeaMonkey. My host advised me:
You will need to set your FTP client to connect over SSL/TLS as the encryption. There was an update to FTP where it can only connect to the server over a secure connection and not plain FTP any longer. Once this has been done you should be able to connect without issue.
I have no idea what any of that means? I imagine it is a simple task, but where do I begin?
How do I set my FTP client (which I assume is SeaMonkey) to connect over SSL/TLS as they encryption?

Ed
frg

Re: set FTP client to connect over SSL/TLS as the encryptio

Post by frg »

If you use composer you can't do it. Maybe save locally and use FileZilla or another dedicated ftp client. Currently Composer does mit support sftp.
elake

Post by elake »

I found instructions for setting the SSL/TLS preferences.

Open the Edit menu and choose Preferences.
Under the Privacy & Security category, click SSL/TLS. (If no subcategories are visible, double-click Privacy & Security to expand the list.)

Enable: Check the TLS 1.0, TLS 1.1, TLS 1.2, and/or TLS 1.3 boxes to indicate which protocol versions can be used for a secure connection to a server.

All the switches are enabled.

What is it that I do not understand?
elake

Post by elake »

frg wrote:If you use composer you can't do it. Maybe save locally and use FileZilla or another dedicated ftp client. Currently Composer does mit support sftp.
Ah! I was looking at FileZilla, but I thought Composer would take care of things.

Save locally? I have to save the updates before submitting the changes via Composer.

I'm still lost. But you've given me some clues. Thanks.
elake

Post by elake »

elake wrote:
frg wrote:If you use composer you can't do it. Maybe save locally and use FileZilla or another dedicated ftp client. Currently Composer does mit support sftp.
Ah! I was looking at FileZilla, but I thought Composer would take care of things.

Save locally? I have to save the updates before submitting the changes via Composer.

I'm still lost. But you've given me some clues. Thanks.
I'm still totally lost. I looked at FileZilla but what I'm trying to do is upload changes to my web site www.ed-lake.com and
FileZilla seems to be about putting stuff on the cloud so that others can see it.
elake

Post by elake »

Okay, what am I missing? For 5 years I've been maintaining my web site at http://www.ed-lake.com by using SeaMonkey composer.
Occasionally I would update the .htaccess file using CuteFTP.

Now, neither of these work, and FileZilla seems to be mainly for updating things on "the cloud," not a web site.

Am I the only person on the planet who was using SeaMonkey to maintain a web site????

I'm missing some key point here. I'm totally lost on what to do next - except maybe to do a lot of research.
-Px-

Post by -Px- »

elake wrote:Am I the only person on the planet who was using SeaMonkey to maintain a web site????
That is quite possible ;), assuming how many issues were known for file upload even 10 years ago.

Anyway, to the issue:
elake wrote: Now, neither of these work, and FileZilla seems to be mainly for updating things on "the cloud," not a web site.
How did you determine that? You can connect to the service via Filezilla, but you see not your site files, but something else?
elake wrote:I'm missing some key point here. I'm totally lost on what to do next - except maybe to do a lot of research.
If I see things right, this is your hoster support page for connecting to ftp/sftp?
https://manage.alphahosting.com/knowled ... Panel.html
You used instructions from that page (section "To configure an FTP client") to configure your Filezilla and connect to sftp, right?
elake

Post by elake »

-Px- wrote:
elake wrote:Am I the only person on the planet who was using SeaMonkey to maintain a web site????
That is quite possible ;), assuming how many issues were known for file upload even 10 years ago.

Anyway, to the issue:
elake wrote: Now, neither of these work, and FileZilla seems to be mainly for updating things on "the cloud," not a web site.
How did you determine that? You can connect to the service via Filezilla, but you see not your site files, but something else?
elake wrote:I'm missing some key point here. I'm totally lost on what to do next - except maybe to do a lot of research.
If I see things right, this is your hoster support page for connecting to ftp/sftp?
You used instructions from that page (section "To configure an FTP client") to configure your Filezilla and connect to sftp, right?
I probably did, but I don't remember. It was many years ago, and I probably only did it once.

I just downloaded FileZilla and installed it. Now I have a window in front of me that has boxes at the top for Host, User name, password and port.
I can guess what the user name and password are. But what goes in the Host box. And what is the port?

It found my web site files, so that part seems to be working.

I think I asked for a manual when I downloaded FileZilla, but I don't know where it went. I found a FileZilla folder in the programs folder,
but it doesn't seem to have a manual file.

I hate to just bumble around. I'll ask alphahosting what is supposed to go into the Host box. Maybe it is just "alphahosting.com"

This may be old stuff to everyone else here, but to me it looks like a mine field, and the instructions are in Greek.
elake

Post by elake »

elake wrote:
-Px- wrote:

Anyway, to the issue:
I probably did, but I don't remember. It was many years ago, and I probably only did it once.

I just downloaded FileZilla and installed it. Now I have a window in front of me that has boxes at the top for Host, User name, password and port.
I can guess what the user name and password are. But what goes in the Host box. And what is the port?

It found my web site files, so that part seems to be working.

I think I asked for a manual when I downloaded FileZilla, but I don't know where it went. I found a FileZilla folder in the programs folder,
but it doesn't seem to have a manual file.

I hate to just bumble around. I'll ask alphahosting what is supposed to go into the Host box. Maybe it is just "alphahosting.com"

This may be old stuff to everyone else here, but to me it looks like a mine field, and the instructions are in Greek.
Okay, I just updated my web site using instructions I got from alphahosting. Whew!

Looks like the problem is solved. I'll write a new comment for the site and see if I can repeat all the steps.

Ed