Changing date format (Mac)

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
ruta

Changing date format (Mac)

Post by ruta »

Platform: MacBookPro ; OSX 10.9.5 ; SM 2.53.1
Since I upgraded last week to 2.53.1 all dates of my emails changed from DD/MM/YYYY to MM/DD/YYYY.
How can I please change it back to DD/MM/YYYY format ?
Thanks a million
Last edited by DanRaisch on May 29th, 2020, 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (Mac) added to Subject line.
TPR75

Re: Changing date format (Mac)

Post by TPR75 »

ruta wrote:Since I upgraded last week to 2.53.1 all dates of my emails changed from DD/MM/YYYY to MM/DD/YYYY.
How can I please change it back to DD/MM/YYYY format ?
Try this:
Menu -> Edit -> Preferences -> Appearance -> in field "Date and Time Formatting" set what you need (SM settings or your MacOS regional settings)

Did it help?

And update to latest SeaMonkey 2.53.2:
https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/seamonk ... US.mac.dmg
--
ruta

Post by ruta »

Thank you so much.
Mac is a little different (PREFERENCES is under SEAMONKEY not under EDIT, but otherwise about the same as PC. Worked like a charm after fixing the setting and re-launching the program.
Will also upgrade to 2.53.2 if OK for Mac.
My only problem with SM now is that the browser is apparently not kept updated and more and more sites do not work with it. For me it became mail-only, while browsing is left to Firefox.
Cumbersome, but life is not made to be easy.
Tks again, Amigo!
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

ruta wrote:My only problem with SM now is that the browser is apparently not kept updated and more and more sites do not work with it. For me it became mail-only, while browsing is left to Firefox.
For most websites it is about User Agent detection/recognition - when it see "SeaMonkey" instead of "Firefox" then claims something about "outdated" or "not supported" browser. Examples of laziness by "webmasters" or "stubborn/stupidity" of corporations.

UA (User Agent) is this string (in your case):

Code: Select all

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.9; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.1 Lightning/5.8.1
SeaMonkey 2.53.2 will remove "Lightning" string from UA (because it's obsolete).

You can change UA in two ways:
1) general for SeaMonkey - it will work for all websites you'll visit,
2) for specific sites (domain names) - for some stubborn website you can set SeaMonkey to present different UA than your default.

In most cases it will work. Unfortunately, newer Firefox has some new functions (and Chromium based browsers too) and it may happen that something on website will not work. But it's rare. At least for me.

SeaMonkey 2.53.2 has more fixes than 2.53.1 and in general works better. Within few weeks there will be 2.53.3 version. And this way, month after month, we will get SeaMonkey 2.57 which should bring bigger (better?) changes.
--