Trying to move to Outlook, but it's hard

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Ztruker

Trying to move to Outlook, but it's hard

Post by Ztruker »

I'm having a lot of problems with web site that do not support SeaMonkey partially or completely so I'm in the process of moving to Edge and Outlook. This is not easy as there are many things SeaMonkey has that edge and especially Outlook does not have.

I'm making progress but it's slow.

The one thing I miss now in outlook is when I send E-mail. In SM I start typing the address and SM brigs up a list that matches what I've already typed so I can chose from it. This does not happen in Outlook. I have to click on To: cc: or bcc: to get Contacts then I can search. Awkward and not very useable compared to SM.

Has anyone else gone through this transition and found a work around for this problem?

I feel like a traitor abandoning SeaMonkey sice I've used it and it's predecessors back to pre-release Netscape but I've run into too many problems over the last couple months to not at least make the attempt to find a useable substitute.
Rich
Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
DanRaisch

Re: Trying to move to Outlook, but it's hard

Post by DanRaisch »

What sort of problems are you having using SeaMonkey? Email issues or web site issues or both?
Ztruker

Post by Ztruker »

Email is okay, web site and video is the problem. I've got a lot of useragent overrides in place and have top keep adding them but that doesn't always work.
Rich
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Well, that's really site issues (bad coding and user agent sniffing) and it could mean simply identifying the correct UA fake to use. Why not try a more current Firefox version to reference rather than Firefox 52 which is what is now displaye?

Moving to SeaMonkey Support.
Ztruker

Post by Ztruker »

My individual useragent overrides use Firefox 68.0. I don't know where 52 is coming from. I don't see it in about:config.

general.useragent.override.google.com;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; WOW64; x64;rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/68.0

Isn't there a string in about:config to change useragent for all, not individual?
Rich
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

change useragent for all, not individual?

Individual what?
Ztruker

Post by Ztruker »

Individual, like the one I showed: general.useragent.override.google.com;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; WOW64; x64;rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/68.0

which applied to only google.com. Is there a about:config entry that applies to all?
Rich
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Why are you choosing version 68 for the UA when the current release version is 77?

Do you have general.useragent.compatMode.firefox set to YES in about:config?
Also see this -- http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3055449
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

DanRaisch wrote:Why are you choosing version 68 for the UA when the current release version is 77?

Do you have general.useragent.compatMode.firefox set to YES in about:config?
Also see this -- http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3055449
Maybe because he was advised to do so? Because Firefox ESR version 68.x is still official build and all websites should respect it?

BTW Could you move it to "SeaMonkey Support" subforum, please?
Ztruker wrote:My individual useragent overrides use Firefox 68.0. I don't know where 52 is coming from. I don't see it in about:config.
Try just "about:" or:
Menu -> Help -> About SeaMonkey

In this post:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14866011
... you're showing UserAgent from older SeaMonkey 2.49.5 which by default advertise Firefox 52.x compatibility.

There is newer version 2.53.2:
https://www.seamonkey-project.org/relea ... key2.53.2/
.. way better with compatibility (i.a. playing videos).

Try this and then decide about migration.
Ztruker wrote:Individual, like the one I showed: general.useragent.override.google.com;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; WOW64; x64;rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/68.0

which applied to only google.com. Is there a about:config entry that applies to all?
Site specific override should be enough but if you really want then you could change general UA:
1) remove all site specific overrides by clicking RMB and then "Reset" (value will be removed and after restart pref will be erased),
2) set "general.useragent.site_specific_overrides" to "false",
3) set "general.useragent.compatMode.firefox" to "false"
4) remove value for 'calendar.useragent.extra" (it advertise Lightning extension; you don't need this),
5) make new entry, similar to this method:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14804588
... but this time use "general.useragent.override"
6) as value you can keep Firefox 68 but remember that some day Mozilla will push newer ESR version and "68" could be recognized as "obsolete". Updating SeaMonkey will not change such manual settings.

SeaMonkey doesn't have latest features (yet) and some websites could not work because of some new fancy mechanism. The you can use e.g. latest ESR or regular Firefox. IMHO there is no need to migrate to other "suite".
--
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to SeaMonkey Support.