Performance issues after update to 2.53.3

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
donpaul0

Performance issues after update to 2.53.3

Post by donpaul0 »

The previous build was running terribly slowly on my Dell XPS 8700 with an i7 and excellent FIOS speed. I thought this new build fixed that problem after I downloaded it with normal high speed in the browser restored. However, after less than 24 hours, the speed on screen is pretty awful again. My other browsers (Chrome, Edge) are working fine and, yes, I do almost daily maintenance cleaning files, using Dell Support Assist, etc. Facebook is the worst of all, though it's fast on Chrome. Sea Monkey has been my favorite browser for years, out of habit I suppose, and all my best bookmarks are on it.

In other words, I don't want to switch. I just did a shut down and reboot, and all is well for a little while, but then the slowness returns. Is anyone else having this problem?

Don Paul
DanRaisch

Re: Performance issues after update to 2.53.3

Post by DanRaisch »

I moved your post to a new topic because you are reporting a different issue than the one you first posted in.

You're not using any "clean up" software like Ccleaner are you? What security software is running on that system?

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Don, your symptoms sounds similar to what others of us have experienced and reported.

When things slow down, invoke Task Manager (from the bottom task tray) and see how much memory SM is using. If it is high, then this might be the same thing other folks have observed.

A quick/easy, albeit short-term, remedy is to open about:memory and click the three Free Memory bars.

If you do this, see if: (i) your SM memory usage has been significantly lowered; and (ii) your browser speed is back to normal.

Report back.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

donpaul0 wrote:... I thought this new build fixed that problem after I downloaded it with normal high speed in the browser restored. However, after less than 24 hours, the speed on screen is pretty awful again...
Not a bad idea to read the Release Notes or Changelogs for updates of important (to you) programs you use.

Your symptoms suggest this to me -

https://www.seamonkey-project.org/relea ... key2.53.3/
If you experience a delay showing the first page after start, please delete the Safebrowsing folder in your profile. Bad Safebrowsing data may delay showing the first page for up to 30 seconds. The problem is tracked in bug 1432274. This can occur even if you are not using Safebrowsing because the lists are always fetched.

I think I was also involved in a bunch of other discussions relating to 24 hour profile decay here in these forums, ages back.

However, from the above quote no one is going to know where that safebrowsing folder is located! So -

#1. Enter about:profiles in the addressbar
#2. Select the profile in use and then its LOCAL Directory...and there it is.
#3. Close SM and then delete (I prefer to rename unwanted files/folders instead, i.e. safebrowsingWrecked or similar) the folder and restart.

Peter Creasey wrote:Don, your symptoms sounds similar to what others of us have experienced and reported..
Not really, Peter. The symptoms are quite different.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
donpaul0

Post by donpaul0 »

Thanks for the prompt responses...I'll try your suggestions, folks.

Don
frg

Post by frg »

I doubt safebrowsing keys are a problem any longer. V2 is non fucntional now and for V4 a lot if fixes for this did go into the last releases.

Don't let third party tools like ccleaner mess with your profile. I use an older version of ccleaner for Windows but no way I will let it touch my profiles. Dell Support Assist is probably garbage. Would be the first program from a manufacturer which works. Usually all they do is phone home, show ads for new stuff and do bogus things to slow down your PC.

Facbeook and google services are the pits. Best to either walk away from them or use another browser until we implement later stuff. Which probably won't help either because really only optimized for Chrome.

FRG

FRG
donpaul0

Post by donpaul0 »

I tried a couple of the fixes offered here, but to no avail. My other browsers (Edge, Chrome, Firefox) continue to run normally. Sea Monkey seems to clear up after a PC reboot, but it slows down to a crawl again in short order, where the cursor is very slow to get a response on any number of sites, especially FB. Again, my Dell i7 XPS is constantly maintained, including running all apps on Dell Support Assist.
I can't help feeling there's a fundamental problem even with the new Sea Monkey build.

Don
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

donpaul0 wrote: .... I can't help feeling there's a fundamental problem even with the new Sea Monkey build.
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240318 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.2
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240416 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~