goodby sea monkey

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Iamusually happy

goodby sea monkey

Post by Iamusually happy »

Been using SM forever and I love it but for months it has been locking up and the only solution is to force close it with task manager. Happens the most with image heavy sites like dailymail, imgur, weather sites and also yahoo news. I'll look at task manager and sm will be using almost 2,000 mb of memory , it is happening more and more often and is very frustrating. I am obviously hoping there is a solution but from what I have seen in the past, am doubting it.
ndebord

Re: goodby sea monkey

Post by ndebord »

Iamusually happy,

Must be something peculiar to your setup. I just went to DailyMail and zero problems, looks good, loads fast. The same with Imgur... and my weather sites work.

Nick
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Iamusually happy wrote: I'll look at task manager and sm will be using almost 2,000 mb of memory
Don't give up on SeaMonkey -- it is still fantastic.

Numerous of us have reported what you apparently are observing. An easy strategy is to launch about:memory and click on the three "Free Memory" options shown there. This should take you back to your comfortable baseline memory usage.

It's an easy and effective work-around until the SM system problem is solved in a future build.

Stick with SeaMonkey.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

DanRaisch wrote:Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
I also asked that the very last time this OP previously posted in these forums - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14824266
Iamusually happy wrote:I am obviously hoping there is a solution .
Instead of hoping, try doing some very basic troubleshooting steps, like SafeMode and testing with a new, clean, additional profile.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Iamusually happy

Wow what a memory Frank, impressive.
Yes it is true, I am not that type that likes to spend hours trying to diagnose software problems, to me it either works or it doesn't. Also the problem is not predictable, I didn't say it locks up every time I go to dailymail or weather, so it can be tough to reproduce on purpose but it has been happening more and more lately, and its usually on a site like that, and the memory used as shown in task manager is always over 1,500 mb, sometimes 2,000.
So I am in "safe mode" now and has not locked up so far, I went to the weather page and when I try to animate the weather it bogs and the weather creeps along like I am using a computer from the 90's, and the memory used shoots way up, so obviously something is causing it to struggle with animations. This is a new computer, actually a gaming computer with a top of the line graphics card so I seriously doubt if its the computer straining to show a simple weather animation that my phone can easily handle.

Thanks for any tips, I do not want to give up easy and I still love SM, I would be very happy if this problem was solved.
LordOfTheBored

Post by LordOfTheBored »

Iamusually happy wrote:Wow what a memory Frank, impressive.
Yes it is true, I am not that type that likes to spend hours trying to diagnose software problems, to me it either works or it doesn't.
I would be very happy if this problem was solved.
It is hard for others to figure out what is going on without any information. It greatly reduces the chance of anything being fixed.
Iamusually happy

Ok so it locked up in safe mode at imgur, so what does this tell me ?

Lord bored, what is it you would like to know ? Crash report ? No chance because it locks up and has to be force shut, so you tell me, I'll give you info coming out your ears but I gotta know what, I have already described the symptoms
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Iamusually happy wrote:Wow what a memory Frank, impressive..
Not really. Click user name>Select user's posts> you're done.

Time for this (it's the same in SM) - http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows

Start by entering about:profiles in the addressbar and go from there. This is creating an additional testing profile, so do NOT delete your existing profile or add any extensions/themes to the testing profile.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Iamusually happy

Ok, its continuously locking up safe mode or not. Tried the free memory thing, no luck
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

So did you try a new profile or is everybody just wasting their valuable time?
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"