Sometimes photos don't transmit in attachment

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Frank Lion

Re: Sometimes photos don't transmit in attachment

Post by Frank Lion »

Peter Creasey wrote: Frank, I am curious.
Curiosity alone is often not productive in terms of a person's time or the time of others.

I'm out.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Frank, understood.

Thanks for trying.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
davidb_sk

Post by davidb_sk »

What Frank is suggesting is, once you make your document in Composer and save it, you can use SeaMonkey to view it. In the SeaMonkey menu, click on File -> Open File... and then find the document that you just created on your hard drive and then click the Open button. You should then see the document you created in Composer. You can then use software, like Photoshop (or what ever, I'm not a MS-Windows user so I'm not sure what's a good screenshot program these days) to take a picture of your screen (like a JPEG) and send that to your recipients.

I sent you a Private Message with my email address. You're welcome to still send it to me, if you wish or wait until you have one that doesn't work.
My current rig: Acer Aspire One D257, ALT Linux (Sisyphus x86_64), Window Maker (0.96.0), SeaMonkey (2.53.18.2)
davidb_sk

Post by davidb_sk »

Come to think of it, what might save you a lot of steps/frustration is: create your document in Composer then print it as a PDF. In Linux, when I click on File -> Print I can choose to print it as a PDF. If you do that, then send the PDF document to your recipients, then they'll definitely see what you want them to see. Do you have that option, to print as a PDF, in MS-Windows?

Like this:

My current rig: Acer Aspire One D257, ALT Linux (Sisyphus x86_64), Window Maker (0.96.0), SeaMonkey (2.53.18.2)
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

David, I sent you an email with the Composer file that works. Unfortunately, the one that didn't work is no longer available.

The sequence using Photoshop with the SeaMonkey copy of the file is easily manageable if that is assured of making the file transmittable without loss of content. Except, how do I get the SeaMonkey browser copy into a format that Photoshop can handle?

Thank you.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
davidb_sk

Post by davidb_sk »

Hey, Peter. Yes I received your email and I could view the text and image of the wine bottle just fine. And, it's as I assumed, the image of the wine bottle is a link to a picture that is accessed via the Web. This image below is the document you sent me, in it's entirety:

Notice that there is no image included in the document you sent me. But, rather, there's a link to the image, where you originally found it on the Web. The link is here: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/499 ... 527eea.jpg SeaMonkey, or any other web browser for that matter, takes this code and produces the document that you see on your screen. If I wasn't connected to the Internet when I opened your html file, I would not have seen the bottle of wine. Or, if I happened to have my browser's adblocker blocking access to live.staticflickr.com, I would also not have seen it. Or, if the website staticflickr.com was down for some reason, then I wouldn't have seen the bottle.

If you want to ensure people see what you want them to see, then I think your best bet is to either produce a PDF document (as I mentioned above) or do a screen capture. I don't use Photoshop, but here's a link to a web page that explains how to do screen captures in Windows: https://www.cnet.com/how-to/8-ways-you- ... indows-10/

Of course, if your document is more than one screen in length, then you'll need to do several screen captures, and that's a whole other kettle of brine (get it? brine... SeaMonkey... brine.... wink, wink! :D ). Anyway, PDF is your best bet, in my humble opinion.
Last edited by davidb_sk on July 20th, 2020, 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

davidb_sk wrote:your best bet is to either produce a PDF document
David, yes, Windows does allow a <Print to PDF>. This approach should work fine (assuming it is dependable for the image(s) to be included in the transmission).

Thank you for your help. This will allow important Composer files to be transmitted dependably.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
davidb_sk

Post by davidb_sk »

Peter Creasey wrote: This approach should work fine (assuming it is dependable for the image(s) to be included in the transmission).

Thank you for your help. This will allow important Composer files to be transmitted dependably.
Yes, I think it should be just fine. Give it a try and let us know how it goes. If you do make a PDF and want to see if it's readable outside of your own system, feel free to email a copy and I'll tell you what I see.

You're most welcome and I'm glad I could offer at least on solution for you!
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

David never a dull moment! I tried it once and chose to Print to PDF Complete, not knowing that the transmitted file would be overlaid with an expiration notice for PDF Complete.

I then tried again and spotted the option to <Print PDF with MS> and this appears to work fine.

Thanks again.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
davidb_sk

Post by davidb_sk »

Peter Creasey wrote:David never a dull moment! I tried it once and chose to Print to PDF Complete, not knowing that the transmitted file would be overlaid with an expiration notice for PDF Complete.

I then tried again and spotted the option to <Print PDF with MS> and this appears to work fine.

Thanks again.
Fantastic! :D

You're most welcome, Peter. Praying you stay healthy down your way.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

David, the only snag is that the PDF file will be difficult (impossible?) for the recipient to massage/alter; whereas, the HTML file, when it worked, allowed the recipient free rein.

Nothing is easy.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
davidb_sk

Post by davidb_sk »

Yes, that is true. It becomes a locked document.

I suppose, if you had a web page for your business, you could always upload your own pictures (or other content) to your own server and reference those photos in your Composer file. Then, who ever you send your document to, as long as they have access to the Internet, will always see the photos, etc. It would take a little work to get it all set up. But once it was, you'd be set. Composer even has the ability to upload the documents you make with it to a web server (including the photos you use), if you so desired. If you look in the File menu, you'll see the Publish option there.

There's always a solution! :D
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

David, I'm glad you included the big grin at the end. I don't have the time/inclination/expertise to implement your "solution".
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

davidb_sk wrote:What Frank is suggesting is, once you make your document in Composer and save it, you can use SeaMonkey to view it. In the SeaMonkey menu, click on File -> Open File... and then find the document that you just created on your hard drive and then click the Open button. You should then see the document you created in Composer. You can then use software, like Photoshop (or what ever, I'm not a MS-Windows user so I'm not sure what's a good screenshot program these days) to take a picture of your screen (like a JPEG) and send that to your recipients.
Sort of, but not really.

I suggested opening the local file in a browser window or tab and then suggested what screenshot extension to use and included an example image done by it. -
Frank Lion wrote: Do your Composer page, open it in a browser window and then screenshot it (I use Pearl Crescent Page Saver converted) i.e -

https://i.postimg.cc/d1hHT5QY/Sometimes ... Forums.png
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)