"hide the tab when one tab" for future versions?

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Peter Creasey

"hide the tab when one tab" for future versions?

Post by Peter Creasey »

Will it be necessary henceforth to check the option "Hide the tab bar when only one tab is open" in future versions?
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
TPR75

Re: "hide the tab when one tab" for future versions?

Post by TPR75 »

Peter Creasey wrote:Will it be necessary henceforth to check the option "Hide the tab bar when only one tab is open" in future versions?
IMHO this should be automatically changed for new profiles only. Existing profiles shouldn't be touched by this "patch" - if it is possible right now to change this behavior and user didn't then why forcing such change?
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14867585

#-o
--
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

I would prefer NOT to have to -- Edit > Preferences > Browser > Tabbed Browsing and enabling "Hide the tab bar when only one tab is open" -- for every version update.

Will this have to be done for future updates the same as was necessary for SM 2.53.3?
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

You could preserve that setting by adding it to a user.js file.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

I'm not well versed in that type of gyration. I prefer that the default remain as it had been before SM 2.53.3.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

That is a problem sometimes with new versions. Sometimes some defaults change.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Anonymosity wrote:That is a problem sometimes with new versions. Sometimes some defaults change.
Defaults for new profile, yes. But when profile exists then update shouldn't change settings.
--
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

TPR75 wrote:
Anonymosity wrote:That is a problem sometimes with new versions. Sometimes some defaults change.
Defaults for new profile, yes. But when profile exists then update shouldn't change settings.
Amen, I'm glad to understand your sentiments on this.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
therube

Post by therube »

Will this have to be done for future updates
Updates, you would hope not.
You would expect existing setting to be maintained.

I suppose, since this is new with 2.53.3, it had to default one way or the other, & it defaulted to "on".

(I don't care for it, but until you posted this thread, didn't realize that a GUI option existed for it, & I also hadn't bothered to figure out which Pref controlled it. I've now fixed my end ;-).)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
frg

Post by frg »

The reason why I flipped it is in bug 1634879. I always needed to turn it on for testing and got tired of it. Also prefer it that way because the display always takes a minor flip flop when the tab bar appears and hides. So it was once per user and profile against mine continuous setting up new profiles and testing tab bar behaviour. IanN was ok with it and so I used the power of the dev. Unlike devs from other products I will not cite telemetry that only 0.01% actually used it as the reason why I wanted something :)

I could have put migration code in but this is essentially dead weight for a one time switch which runs during every startup and consumes 0.0001% of your ram and cpu cycles. So only put it in the release notes (now expanded too after some complaints).

FRG
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

My problem is remembering the sequence to get where the option can be selected.

So, what's the final verdict, please -- Will it be necessary henceforth to check the option "Hide the tab bar when only one tab is open" in future versions?

If yes, I'll need to make a note somewhere as a reminder.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
frg

Post by frg »

No. It was a one time change. If you flip it it will stay flipped in future releases.

What I really fid disheartening is that no one seems to read the release notes. It is mentioned under: What's New in SeaMonkey 2.53.3

I really wonder if I should invest much time for them together with IanN doing them. Not the only issue discussed to death where I just thought wtf?

FRG
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

frg wrote:What I really fid disheartening is that no one seems to read the release notes. It is mentioned under: What's New in SeaMonkey 2.53.3
It was mentioned but it's not mentioning that present setting will be changed "by force". I read that and I thought it was for new profiles only.
--
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

frg wrote:It was a one time change.
no one seems to read the release notes.
Thanks for the clarification. Hopefully, it doesn't create a hardship for you.

The implication of that particular release note doesn't resonate until the effects show up during processing....
The preference "browser.tabs.autoHide" which autohides the tab bar when there is only one tab in a browser window open has been flipped in bug 1634879. SeaMonkey will now show the tab bar as the default. You can change it back by checking "Hide the tab bar when only one tab is open" in "Preferences->Browser->Tabbed Browsing"
Once the effects of the change is evident and explained, then this release note is better understood.

Apologies if this issue became an aggravation for you. Thank you for all you do.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
frg

Post by frg »

> Apologies if this issue became an aggravation for you. Thank you for all you do.

No it doesn't. Just seeing issues discussed which are in the release notes makes me wonder if I should spend more than the minimal time doing them. Again if something the release notes are no good or something should be worded differently I am happy to put suggestions/changes in. All I would like to have is a full text which I/we just need to reformat into html. I, IanN or one of the others can take care of the formalities.