Where to get noscript download?

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Peter Creasey

Where to get noscript download?

Post by Peter Creasey »

Where do I go to get noscript for use with SeaMonkey?
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
LIMPET235

Re: Where to get noscript download?

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi Peter,
Well, according to this post by "therube", you can use No Script with SeaMonkey v2.53.x
> https://forums.informaction.com/viewtop ... ey#p101553
Get it here > https://noscript.net/

Support site is here > https://forums.informaction.com/viewforum.php?f=3
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Peter Creasey wrote:Where do I go to get noscript for use with SeaMonkey?
You don't need it, as you already have that facility with the uBlock Origin extension. It can block/allow 1st/3rd party scripts either globally or locally or you can also block individual scripts.

I suggest you read up what uBlock can do for you, as the learning curve for this stuff is even steeper in NoScript. A lot steeper, in my view.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Thank you Frank.
Seeing as I don't use SeaMonkey....t'is a bit hard suggesting anything but what was asked.
:)
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

LIMPET235 wrote:Thank you Frank.
:)
No problem, I just happened to know that Peter had uBlock Origin.

Even many SeaMonkey users who are using it don't realise what it can do.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Frank, thanks. Should I uninstall noscript from this PC?

I was trying to install noscript on another PC, but when I go to the noscript site, I cannot figure out where the download click is.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Peter,
If you really need it for that other PC...
There's a big green INSTALL button at the top left hand side....under the No Script logo thingy.

Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Peter Creasey wrote:Frank, thanks. Should I uninstall noscript from this PC?
May as well keep it for the time being, just for comparison.

When you take away the circus act and smoke and mirrors, this stuff just boils down to blocking/not blocking JavaScript on websites. I found NoScript really hard to understand and tiresome to use, whereas uBlock was far less so. Even so, there IS a learning curve with this stuff.

With uBlock, click on the toolbar button and then on the 'domains connected' part of the popup. That's where your journey begins and you then either figure it out or consult the many uBlock help guides (ones relating to JS may be marked for 'Advanced Users' or the like.)
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

LIMPET235 wrote:Peter,
If you really need it for that other PC...
There's a big green INSTALL button at the top left hand side....under the No Script logo thingy.
*cough* try clicking it and then find a version for SeaMonkey. :)
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

LIMPET235 wrote:There's a big green INSTALL button at the top left hand side....under the No Script logo thingy.
I've done that several times and it takes me to a page that, as far as I can tell, only offers the option of downloading FireFox (not noscript). I haven't been able to find a clickable box to download noscript.

Very strange, indeed.

I believe I like Frank's suggestion of NOT downloading it on the other PC.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Frank,
Is it not available from this page?
> https://noscript.net/getit

Why hide it?

Oh...I see that there's a DIRECT D/L link there for the .xpi file.
Right click > Save link as...

Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Well, I missed out a bit.

uBlock has 2 main modes - Static Filtering (using the filter lists it came with) and Dynamic Filtering (which is you controlling what's being blocked, i.e. JS and other stuff)

Dynamic Filtering is what they are calling 'Advanced User' mode and you first have to turn that on (a one-off). Click toolbar button, click dashboard link (right button under blue circle) and then under Settings, click the 'I am an advanced user' box (I confess I still haven't read the 'required reading' bit.)

Once done, this then becomes true -
Frank Lion wrote:With uBlock, click on the toolbar button and then on the 'domains connected' part of the popup. That's where your journey begins..
Check out About in the dashboard and go to the Wiki, or, if you can understand the guy, this vid is pretty good - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lisQQmWQkY

Top Tip - don't try, or worry about, to understand anything first time around. Let it wash over you and just get familiar with bits of it. Rinse and repeat as needed and it all sort of falls into place.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Frank, as you might surmise, that is all going over my head.

I installed noscript on this PC and have not tweaked any of the settings. Do I still not need noscriptk on this PC or on my other PC which has the same noscript setup?

Thanks.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Peter Creasey wrote:Do I still not need noscriptk on this PC or on my other PC which has the same noscript setup?.
Not really, all that you want to do, regarding JS blocking/not blocking and obviously adblocking, can be done with uBlock Origin. You don't need Noscript.
Peter Creasey wrote:Frank, as you might surmise, that is all going over my head..
Well, yeah, but it was your idea to go down this JS route.

It will go over your head initially, as this stuff has to be learned, as you need to know how to change things back and forth and why. Forum support can't really help you with that, you have to read/watch/learn it yourself.

However, there's no great hurry and you can just confine yourself, to start with, to blocking JS on one single site. Meantime, the adblocking will continue silently working in the background.