MozillaZine

How do I get my message list to the new SeaMonkey?

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
jgreer

Post Posted October 31st, 2020, 1:06 pm

I had to set up a new desktop on my Win 10 because the old one got corrupted somehow. I downloaded the new Sea Monkey to the new desktop, set it up, it works but...my husband, who knows some computer programming, was able to migrate my folders to the new email program, but we've been unable to migrate all the messages in the old inbox folder to the new one. I've searched the database here, it talks about finding the old profile and getting to the new one...I can't find it. THEN I found that I could create a new profile...but that wouldn't work. I might lose what I've already managed to get done.

I just want all my old messages in the old inbox folder to migrate over to the new inbox folder. How do I do that?

Thanks.

DanRaisch

Post Posted October 31st, 2020, 2:40 pm

It sounds as though your email account was set up on the old system as a POP type account. How is it set up on the new? In SeaMonkey, the path is Edit->Mail & Newsgroups Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type".
Your User Agent String is reporting that your new system is running Win 10. What operating system were you running on the old computer?

jgreer

Post Posted October 31st, 2020, 6:32 pm

It's set up exactly the same way, as a POP account. I had so much trouble getting my messages to download from Gmail when I first set it up that, once it started working, I didn't want to do anything with it to mess it up.
This is the same computer, Win 10, just a new desktop on it. I'm going to close out the old desktop after everything I need is migrated over to the new one.

DanRaisch

Post Posted November 1st, 2020, 5:02 am

In that case I'm confused. If your husband was able to locate and transfer the existing folders to the new installation, that should have included the Inbox folder. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_SeaMonkey

All message folders of a POP type account would be found under C:\Users\WINUSERID\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\Profiles\XXXXXXXX.default\Mail\. WINUSERID stands for your Windows user ID and XXXXXXXX stands for a random string created by SeaMonkey upon installation. Within the \Mail folder you should find another folder having a name relating to your email provider, for example \pop.gmail.com or \mail.comcast.net. That folder will have files with the same names as the message folders you see in SeaMonkey: Inbox, Sent, Trash, Junk, etc. There will be one such file with the extension .msf and another with the same name and no extension: Inbox and Inbox.msf. Search your computer's hard drive for the latter. Do you find one set of those files or two?

jgreer

Post Posted November 1st, 2020, 1:31 pm

I got as far as C:Users then there was a list of names that use the computer. I clicked on each of these names but AppData did not appear on any of them. Could it be somewhere else?

rdtom

Post Posted November 1st, 2020, 2:05 pm

In Windows explorer go to
Folder Options
View
Click on show hidden files, folders, drives
This is for Windows 7. It should be similar or the same for Windows 10

jgreer

Post Posted November 1st, 2020, 9:56 pm

OK. Here's what we ended up doing:

The problem was how to merge the contents of the Inbox folder on one SeaMonkey's email installation into the Inbox of a new installation where the user had already downloaded new email's into her Inbox.

Steps:
1. On the original installation, search for the Inbox and Inbox.msf folders.
2. Create new folders Temp and Temp.msf, and copy the contents of the Inbox folders into the Temp folders.
3. Everything will now be done on the target installation. On the target installation, find the Trash and Trash.msf folders.
4. Save the contents of these two folders into temporary holding folders, with new names of your choice.
5. Erase the contents of the Trash folder and replace them with the contents of the Temp folder.
6. Execute the SeaMonkey email program. Manually move the emails in the Trash directory into the Inbox directory.
7. When you have verified that everything is working correctly, clean up (delete or archive) the temporary files. If the user wishes, restore the contents of the Trash folder before deleting the copy you saved.

Earl Greer

DanRaisch

Post Posted November 2nd, 2020, 8:17 am

Glad to hear that you worked it out.

Return to SeaMonkey Support