Tangerine Bank site will not open

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
greyowl2

Tangerine Bank site will not open

Post by greyowl2 »

I recently started using SeaMonkey on my linux laptop running antiX linux.
I have discovered that SeaMonkey will not open the login page for Tangerine Bank site. I get a warning of an Unresponsive Script.

Below are the urls that will not open:
https://www.tangerine.ca/app/#/accounts
https://www.tangerine.ca/app/#/?locale=en_CA

The main page of the website will open OK:
https://www.tangerine.ca/en
But when you go to the login page, it will not open and I get the Unresponsive Script warning.

I might mention that the all of the pages work fine with Firefox.
DanRaisch

Re: Tangerine Bank site will not open

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to SeaMonkey Support as no specific bug has yet been identified here.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

greyowl2 wrote:I have discovered that SeaMonkey will not open the login page for Tangerine Bank site. I get a warning of an Unresponsive Script.
You mean will not open in a 'it opens 4 seconds later if you hit Continue, not opening' type way?

Yeah, that's right, it warns you of an Unresponsive/Slow Script probably because IT IS an Unresponsive/Slow Script. SM is doing what its supposed to do.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
greyowl2

Post by greyowl2 »

Thanks for the information.

I see now that I was just being impatient.
When I waited and clicked "continue" several times on the Unresponsive Script dialog box, the web page did eventually open. It took several minutes however.

With Firefox, it only takes about 30 seconds, and I don't get the Unresponsive Script notice.

Does this mean that FF processes scripts better than Seamonkey?
Do you think this may improve with future updates?
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

greyowl2 wrote:With Firefox, it only takes about 30 seconds, and I don't get the Unresponsive Script notice.
My SeaMonkey takes 20 seconds and that includes hitting Continue.
greyowl2 wrote:Does this mean that FF processes scripts better than Seamonkey?
Probably just means the Firefox timeout is set to longer. Mine is set to 10, but just follow this to set it longer - https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/wa ... ive-script

Don't know why yours is taking a couple of minutes, which is pretty unacceptable, but I notice your UA string at the bottom of your posts shows you using Firefox 60. If you are actually using SM, then try - Menu>Edit>Prefs>Advanced>HTTP Networking and set it to show both Firefox and SM compat.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
LinuxUserSince1991

Post by LinuxUserSince1991 »

greyowl2 wrote:I recently started using SeaMonkey on my linux laptop running antiX linux.
I've seen your update, so I know you're already okay, but since we're running very similar systems, I thought I'd throw in my $0.02. :mrgreen:

All of the URLs you listed in your OP opened within a second or two on the laptop I tried them on. So I don't know if perhaps you're running an add-on/extension that I'm not, that might have something to do with it, but I do not get the unresponsive script thing at all, or a long wait--the pages load almost instantly.

I'm running Kubuntu 20.04LTS on a System76 Gazelle 17.3" laptop, SM version 2.53.4.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

It sounds like there is or might have been some memory thrashing going on. If you're tight on memory, perhaps some maintenance might be beneficial.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
greyowl2

Post by greyowl2 »

@ Frank Lion

Thank you for the help.
I changed the time out to 50 so now I don't get the Unresponsive Script warning.
It is now takes about 48 seconds for the webpage to open with SeaMonkey.
It takes about 27 seconds for Firefox. It takes 29 seconds for SlimJet.
greyowl2

Post by greyowl2 »

@ LinuxUserSince1991

Thanks for the explanation.
I opened SM in safe mode (no extensions) and I got the same wait time for the webpage to open.
greyowl2

Post by greyowl2 »

@ Peter Creasey

Thanks for the suggestion.
I have 2 GB of RAM in the laptop. It is using about 500 mb of RAM with SM running.
LinuxUserSince1991

greyowl2 wrote:@ LinuxUserSince1991

Thanks for the explanation.
You're welcome.
I opened SM in safe mode (no extensions) and I got the same wait time for the webpage to open.
That's odd. Do you have other computers you can try it on? Using the same Wi-Fi (or wired) connection. That way we could compare apples to apples, not apples to oranges. :) And/or try the same computer but on a different network. Perhaps there's something about your router/modem/network settings and/or your physical location that are causing the problem. For whatever it's worth, I'm in the Los Angeles area, using my laptop on Wi-Fi with a cable Internet connection and, again, your URLs load instantly for me.
greyowl2

Post by greyowl2 »

@ LinuxUserSince1991

I just tried my other laptop and it took 70 seconds for the webpage to open with several Unresponsive scripts notices which I clicked "continue". It is generally a slower laptop so it isn't a surprise that it took a bit longer.
I also tried another laptop which is generally faster, but it took about 50 seconds, too.
LinuxUserSince1991

@greyowl2 I just stumbled upon something that immediately made me think about you! I was perusing Synaptic (my preferred package manager) and came across this:
TinyJSD is a JavaScript debugger for Mozilla products (Firefox,
Thunderbird, SeaMonkey). The key differences to debuggers like Firebug
and the debugger built into Firefox are:

* focused on debugging privileged code such as extensions and the
application itself
* simple user interface for easier use than complex debugger tools
I'm not promising anything, but it may help you sort out the problem.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

LinuxUserSince1991 wrote:
TinyJSD is a JavaScript debugger for Mozilla products
Debuggers are only of any use if the person has the knowledge and authorisation to de-bug the problem.

Otherwise, it's like using binoculars to watch a house on fire and coming to the conclusion, 'That house is on fire' and letting it burn.
LinuxUserSince1991

Frank Lion wrote:
LinuxUserSince1991 wrote:
TinyJSD is a JavaScript debugger for Mozilla products
Debuggers are only of any use if the person has the knowledge and authorisation to de-bug the problem.

Otherwise, it's like using binoculars to watch a house on fire and coming to the conclusion, 'That house is on fire' and letting it burn.
Well, since I don't know the OP's skill level, I'm not qualified to decide for him that he shouldn't use this tool! From its description, it sounds like it should be pretty straightforward, anyway: "simple user interface for easier use than complex debugger tools"

Plus, it was merely a suggestion. The OP can decide whether this is something he wants to try, and whether his skill-set supports using it.