MozillaZine

Migrating from dead PC

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
iberger

Post Posted December 29th, 2020, 10:08 am

My old PC, which used 32-bit SM, died, buts drives survived. I have installed 64-bit SM on its replacement and would like to migrate my profile into it, ASAP.

Where do I find my old profile? What's the folder name?

How do I migrate that over to the new install?
Ivan Berger

ElTxolo

Post Posted December 29th, 2020, 12:00 pm

iberger wrote:My old PC, which used 32-bit SM, died, buts drives survived. I have installed 64-bit SM on its replacement and would like to migrate my profile into it, ASAP.

Where do I find my old profile? What's the folder name?

How do I migrate that over to the new install?

How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20201222 SeaMonkey/2.53.6
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20210116 SeaMonkey/2.53.7

Rob_S

Post Posted December 29th, 2020, 5:19 pm

What has worked for me, short and sweet, once you locate your existing profile, per info above, named xxxxxxxx.default, copy its entire contents onto a flash drive - it can be pretty big if you store lots of emails.

Then on your new pc install seamonkey and create a profile. It will have a different set of letters like yyyyyyyy.default in the folder name than your old one did.

Close seamonkey, and copy the entire contents of your old profile into the new profile folder.

Restart seamonkey - it should be all there. I don't think it matters if you install the 64 bit version on the new pc right away.

LinuxUserSince1991

Post Posted December 30th, 2020, 3:38 pm

I do something similar to @Rob_S, but I'm much lazier! I install SM on the new computer, then--without opening SM--copy my profile [from the old computer] into the new one's SM directory. Then, when I fire up SM, everything's just like I left it on the old machine. I keep current backups of my SM profile, so even in the case of a hard-drive crash (which I haven't had in years, knock on wood), at worst I would only lose the most recent things, like e-mails I hadn't backed up yet. I do this over my network, but could just as well do it with a flash/thumb drive or cloud storage.

iberger

Post Posted January 1st, 2021, 12:43 pm

Found and copied my old xxx.default file and moved it to C:\Users\appdata\local\Mozilla\Seamonkey\Profiles.
Opened Profile manager and it showed only "default"--no indication there was more than one profile.
I will try deleting all the other profiles and restarting SM.
Ivan Berger

iberger

Post Posted January 1st, 2021, 1:40 pm

That did not work.
When I opened SM, it ignored the profile and asked me to set up an account. Then it created a new profile. At the moment, it's downloading all my back messages from the server.

Opening Profile Manager still shows only a single "Default"
Ivan Berger

Frank Lion

Post Posted January 1st, 2021, 1:47 pm

iberger wrote:Found and copied my old xxx.default file

What is the path to where you found that?

and moved it to C:\Users\appdata\local\Mozilla\Seamonkey\Profiles.

That is the wrong location. That is the Local Directory for the cache, etc!

I will try deleting all the other profiles and restarting SM.

Until you know and understand what you're doing, that would be a really silly idea.

Let's start again - Enter about:profiles in the addressbar of your old SM installation. On that page, find the 'profile in use' and open the Root Directory. and that is the correct profile to copy.

Using the same method in your new SM install, find the Root Directory of the 'profile in use' there and then EXIT SeaMonkey.

Replace the contents of that new Root Directory profile with the contents of the old one. Restart SeaMonkey and you're done.
Metal Lion latest SeaMonkey & Thunderbird Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

iberger

Post Posted January 1st, 2021, 2:00 pm

Entering About:profiles in the new SM's "Search subject or address" box does nothing.

Can't enter it in the old SM, as that PC died--but once I know where it should be I can probably find it on the old machine's drive, which is in a dock.
Ivan Berger

Frank Lion

Post Posted January 1st, 2021, 2:19 pm

iberger wrote:Entering About:profiles in the new SM's "Search subject or address" box does nothing.

Spot the difference to what you entered -

Frank Lion wrote: Enter about:profiles in the addressbar

Can't enter it in the old SM, as that PC died--but once I know where it should be I can probably find it on the old machine's drive, which is in a dock.

Try - C:\Users\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Seamonkey\Profiles.
Metal Lion latest SeaMonkey & Thunderbird Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

iberger

Post Posted January 4th, 2021, 11:00 am

Thanks. I'm Getting there, but not there yet.

I now have both the old and new *.default folders in c:\users\cmpAppData\roaming\mozilla\seamonkey\profiles/

But Switch Profiles shows only a single one, "Default"

What do I do next?
Ivan Berger

Frank Lion

Post Posted January 4th, 2021, 11:49 am

iberger wrote:I now have both the old and new *.default folders in c:\users\cmpAppData\roaming\mozilla\seamonkey\profiles/

Yep, for reasons we can go into other time, as you've seen just dumping the old profile in c:\users\cmpAppData\roaming\mozilla\seamonkey\profiles is not going to work.

Which is why I had suggested you do this -

Frank Lion wrote:Replace the contents of that new Root Directory profile with the contents of the old one. Restart SeaMonkey and you're done.

In other words, after exiting SeaMonkey, just delete all of the contents of the new Default profile folder.

Then copy the contents of your old, original profile and paste those contents into your new Default profile folder. Restart SM and you're done.

I have got a couple of other methods I could use, but the above is the easiest and quickest route for you.

Rob_S

Post Posted January 4th, 2021, 1:24 pm

For anyone reading this in the future, and just for the record, that is exactly what I said above - copy the CONTENTS of old xxxxxx.default into new yyyyyyyy.default.

iberger

Post Posted January 7th, 2021, 12:28 pm

That sounds like it should work. Sorry I was a bit dense.

But I think I've misstated the problem: By now, I have email in three profiles: The one I've been using since I put my new PC into service after Christmas, the one preserved from my PC that died in October, and the one on my laptop that I used in the interim. What I need is to be able to switch between them, to get access to info on each. I have both the new and old PCs' profiles in the same folder, but SM only seems to see one. How do I get it to switch profiles?
Ivan Berger

rdtom

Post Posted January 7th, 2021, 12:45 pm

In Windows 7
C:\Users\"user Name"\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\profiles.ini
make sure there an entry in profiles.ini for each profile.

iberger

Post Posted January 9th, 2021, 9:15 am

How do I create these entries?

At the moment, the file reads:
[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=1
Path=Profiles/lxmtwuco.default
Default=1

I assume the next new entry will be [Profile1] and that the Path= line will correspond with the profile name, but what about the other lines?

Also:
1) Can I rename these profiles (assuming I change profiles.ini to match) so I know which is which?
2) Is there a way to merge profiles, or to transfer mails and contacts between them?
Ivan Berger

Return to SeaMonkey Support