.html versus .htm. [Mac.]

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
danll

.html versus .htm. [Mac.]

Post by danll »

I've usually saved my web pages with the ".htm" extension. The latest version of SeaMonkey gets upset about that, and comes back with a "You have used the extension '.htm' at the end of the name. The standard extension is '.html'" and makes me decide which extension I want to use. As far as I'm concerned, that isn't true. They are equivalent. So how do I tell SeaMonkey to bug off and not keep asking that?
Last edited by LIMPET235 on February 10th, 2021, 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added [Mac] to the Title.
Frank Lion

Re: .html versus .htm

Post by Frank Lion »

danll wrote:I've usually saved my web pages with the ".htm" extension. The latest version of SeaMonkey gets upset about that...
I also have the latest version of SM and mine doesn't complain about saving webpages as .htm.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
danll

Post by danll »

That's strange. I'm using 2.53.6 and whenever I try to save as .htm it comes up with that error message, scolding me for not using .html, and makes me specifically choose .htm.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/107674817 ... res/62q11i

If you don't get that error, I have to assume there is some way to make it stop giving it.
LewS

Post by LewS »

Most likely macOS is the culprit here.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

danll wrote:I have to assume there is some way to make it stop giving it.
As Lew wrote, I would assume instead that it is a Mac popup. Especially as .htm started life as a M$ supported file type - https://fileinfo.com/extension/htm

Plus, I doubt SM would care how you saved stuff.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
danll

Post by danll »

If you look at the error image I posted, you'll see that it has a SeaMonkey icon attached to it. Now, why would a Mac do that? Moreover, why would the Mac care how you save stuff? Also, on my Mac, I can use other applications to save .htm files, without complaint, so it seems unlikely that the MacOS is doing it.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

danll wrote:If you look at the error image I posted
I suspect I looked at it a bit closer than you did, that's a standard Mac NSSavePanel popup. Sorta like this one - https://i.stack.imgur.com/v0jOR.png

Still, I'm sure you know best, good luck with solving your problem.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Confirming that under Win 10, SeaMonkey 2.53.6 does NOT display a pop up to complain about displaying a file with the extension .htm.
danll

Post by danll »

Frank Lion wrote:
danll wrote:If you look at the error image I posted
I suspect I looked at it a bit closer than you did, that's a standard Mac NSSavePanel popup. Sorta like this one - https://i.stack.imgur.com/v0jOR.png

Still, I'm sure you know best, good luck with solving your problem.

Yes, it is evidently a Mac popup, but it's hijacking a SeaMonkey icon! OK, I'll ask elsewhere how to get rid of it.
Thanks very much to everyone for expert advice.

Still a little odd that the Mac OS doesn't seem to be bothered by other applications saving .htm files.
danll

Post by danll »

I should add that the SeaMonkey tutorial says

'Name your main page file with this name: index. You will see that Seamonkey will recognize that this is an html page and will apply the .html extension for you. The type-of-save bar is located below the file name bar. This will say: HTML files. You do not need to type .html after your file.'

So it seems to be SeaMonkey that wants .html, and it seems to be insisting that the MacOS complain if it isn't. Other apps don't.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

It still seems to be a MAC issue as there are no pop-ups or alerts when accessing files with the .htm extension under Win 10.
danll

Post by danll »

As far as I can see, SeaMonkey is telling the MacOS to complain about this. Other apps don't. Yes, it is odd that in doing so, SeaMonkey doesn't bother to tell Win10 to complain about it.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Under Win 10 (and lower) there are default options to define what application will launch/be used with a particular file type. If there is any thing of that sort in the Mac OS it could be that a value needs to be tweaked to point to SeaMonkey in regard to .htm files in addition to .html files.

Note that we have seen no other reports of the same alerts from other Mac users of SeaMonkey.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

danll wrote:I should add that the SeaMonkey tutorial says
Totally illogical suppositions based, not on 'the SeaMonkey tutorial', but a 2012 SM Composer tutorial written by a total stranger from Eastern Illinois University!

https://ux1.eiu.edu/~jbarford/comwebtut.html

Seriously, this isn't the comedy club amateur nite, just do what you said -
danll wrote:OK, I'll ask elsewhere how to get rid of it.
danll

Post by danll »

Frank Lion wrote:
danll wrote:I should add that the SeaMonkey tutorial says
Totally illogical suppositions based, not on 'the SeaMonkey tutorial', but a 2012 SM Composer tutorial written by a total stranger from Eastern Illinois University!

Many thanks for your constructive comment. Got any more?
I should add that this "tutorial", while written by an anonymous person, is exactly correct. SeaMonkey does what he/she says it does.
Last edited by danll on February 9th, 2021, 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.