MozillaZine

Silverlight

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
ndebord

Post Posted February 15th, 2021, 11:47 am

I have a specific problem with Amazon Prime. In order to watch videos, they ask me to install the Silverlight Plugin (64bit). I have installed it, but when I try to play an Amazon Prime Video, I get a loop asking me again and again to install this plugin. Any ideas much appreciated.

Nick
-N- Quis custodiet ipsos custodes
SeaMonkey(32bit), Acer Spin, Windows 10 Pro (X64 v1909), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & PandaDome

Frank Lion

Post Posted February 15th, 2021, 12:16 pm

ndebord wrote: Any ideas much appreciated.

Use Edge Beta for Prime vids.

tl;dr? use Edge Beta.
Metal Lion latest SeaMonkey & Thunderbird Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

James

Post Posted February 15th, 2021, 1:25 pm

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/npapi-plugins

Firefox 52 ESR and SeaMonkey versions based on that Gecko was the last to still support NPAPI Plugins besides Flash Player from Adobe at time. Now there is no more NPAPI Plugins being supported.

Frank Lion

Post Posted February 15th, 2021, 1:41 pm

James wrote:https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/npapi-plugins

Firefox 52 ESR and SeaMonkey versions based on that Gecko was the last to still support NPAPI Plugins besides Flash Player from Adobe at time. Now there is no more NPAPI Plugins being supported.

That's not as relevant as Prime Video using DRM, which SM doesn't support.
Metal Lion latest SeaMonkey & Thunderbird Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

LinuxUserSince1991

Post Posted February 15th, 2021, 4:13 pm

ndebord wrote:I have a specific problem with Amazon Prime. In order to watch videos, they ask me to install the Silverlight Plugin (64bit). I have installed it, but when I try to play an Amazon Prime Video, I get a loop asking me again and again to install this plugin. Any ideas much appreciated.

Yes, I'm unable to play Prime videos with SM, too. However, you can stay in the family by using Firefox. I just did. At first it gave a message including instructions to use about:addons, but my choices didn't match theirs. That's when I noticed a big yellow button at the top of the screen! It said "enable DRM" so I clicked it. Voila! Prime videos now play just fine in FF.

LinuxUserSince1991

Post Posted February 15th, 2021, 4:15 pm

Frank Lion wrote:

tl;dr? use Edge Beta.

No. Just no.

Frank Lion

Post Posted February 15th, 2021, 4:27 pm

LinuxUserSince1991 wrote:Yes, I'm unable to play Prime videos with SM, too. However, you can stay in the family by using Firefox. I just did. .

Er, yes, I know, probably so do most people. I also know that ndebord uses Edge Beta as their backup browser - viewtopic.php?p=14867493#p14867493

Hence my suggestion.

LinuxUserSince1991

Post Posted February 15th, 2021, 6:13 pm

Frank Lion wrote:
LinuxUserSince1991 wrote:Yes, I'm unable to play Prime videos with SM, too. However, you can stay in the family by using Firefox. I just did. .

Er, yes, I know, probably so do most people. I also know that ndebord uses Edge Beta as their backup browser - viewtopic.php?p=14867493#p14867493

Hence my suggestion.

Well, bravo! :)

I did not know what they use as a backup, AND since other people read these threads [besides their authors], AND since not everyone would know that Firefox works although SM doesn't, I thought I'd post. Hope that's okay with you!

Frank Lion

Post Posted February 16th, 2021, 2:52 am

LinuxUserSince1991 wrote:I did not kno

Fine, but none of that explains why you felt the need to post this -

LinuxUserSince1991 wrote:
Frank Lion wrote:

tl;dr? use Edge Beta.

No. Just no.

Which does sorta mean that I'm going to have to explain my reasons, leaving aside that 80% are Windows users here, like every forum, and would likely already have Edge installed.

ndebord

Post Posted February 16th, 2021, 10:26 am

Frank Lion wrote:

tl;dr? use Edge Beta.

Frank,

Thanks, I shall do that. I use Edge Dev and that should do the trick.

Nick
-N- Quis custodiet ipsos custodes
SeaMonkey(32bit), Acer Spin, Windows 10 Pro (X64 v1909), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & PandaDome

Return to SeaMonkey Support