Uninstall/disable SeaMonkey browser

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Nemo Nusquam

Uninstall/disable SeaMonkey browser

Post by Nemo Nusquam »

SeaMonkey is not set up as my default browser, nor is it set up to open the browser when I open SeaMonkey, & I do not want the browser to EVER be utilized, because I seem not to be able to set it up such that it doesn't tell me

"This Connection is Untrusted

You have asked SeaMonkey to connect securely to click.motorola-mail.com, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure.

Normally, when you try to connect securely, websites will present trusted identification to prove that you are going to the right place. However, this website's identity can't be verified."

any time I click on a hyperlink in an email message. If there is a way to eliminate that hyperactive "security" mechanism, I'd be happy to use SeaMonkey as my browser, but if not, I just want links I click to open in my regular default browser.

How can I uninstall or disable the browser component so that it will NEVER open when I click on a hyperlink in an email?

Thanks!
Last edited by Nemo Nusquam on April 23rd, 2021, 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davidb_sk

Re: Uninstall/disable SeaMonkey browser

Post by davidb_sk »

I"m not a MS-Windows user, but here you go: Uninstall apps in Windows 10

Just ignore... I missed the point that you just wanted to remove the browser and keep all of the other portions of SeaMonkey.
Last edited by davidb_sk on April 1st, 2021, 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My current rig: Acer Aspire One D257, ALT Linux (Sisyphus x86_64), Window Maker (0.96.0), SeaMonkey (2.53.18.2)
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

SeaMonkey is a multi-purpose tool. You cannot remove part of it. If it is capable to doing something it will do it, whether it is the default for doing that or not. If you do not want a link in an email message to be opened in SeaMonkey's browser, you can right-click it, choose "copy link location" and paste that into the addressbar of another browser.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

If you do not want a link in an email message to be opened in SeaMonkey's browser, you can right-click it, choose "copy link location" and paste that into the addressbar of another browser.
Or you can try setting all of Windows default apps options to whichever browser you want to use. https://www.windowscentral.com/how-chan ... windows-10
frg

Post by frg »

> any time I click on a hyperlink in an email message. If there is a way to eliminate that hyperactive "security" mechanism, I'd be happy to use SeaMonkey as my browser, but if not, I just want links I click to open in my regular default browser.

Tell you antivirus program not the try to intercept ssl traffice without installing proper certificates. Covered in the release notes and in a few threads here.

FRG
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

DanRaisch wrote:
If you do not want a link in an email message to be opened in SeaMonkey's browser, you can right-click it, choose "copy link location" and paste that into the addressbar of another browser.
Or you can try setting all of Windows default apps options to whichever browser you want to use. https://www.windowscentral.com/how-chan ... windows-10
Dan,

Another possibility is to use Standalone SeaMonkey Mail and if enabled with another browser when you click on a link in an email message it will automatically open up in that other browser. If you right click, it will give you the option of opening up in a New Tab or a New Window in SeaMonkey.

Nick
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I imagine you’re referring to the extension — https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/se ... nkey-mail/
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

DanRaisch wrote:I imagine you’re referring to the extension — https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/se ... nkey-mail/
Dan,

You got it, nice extension. Used alongside Open In Chrome and IE View (both via the extension converter for SeaMonkey). Thanks for the URL, I had forgotten where I got it, so now nicely bookmarked in my Allizom folder.

Nick
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
Nemo Nusquam

Post by Nemo Nusquam »

Anonymosity wrote:SeaMonkey is a multi-purpose tool. You cannot remove part of it. If it is capable to doing something it will do it, whether it is the default for doing that or not.
Sounds like the kind of application development philosophy that folks hate about Microsoft, et al., & a prime opportunity for the open source community to show how open source is far more considerate of end-users than are giant corporations.

It can't be that difficult to write the code that would allow a user to either disable the browser or to set their default browser to be the default browser for links in SeaMonkey email.

... just the thoughts of some guy who knows virtually nothing about programming, but who knows that just because my box wrench is capable of hammering doesn't mean I want my kid to hand it to me when I come across a nail just because the box wrench is easiest for him to reach. ;)
Nemo Nusquam

Post by Nemo Nusquam »

frg wrote:> Tell you antivirus program not the try to intercept ssl traffice without installing proper certificates. Covered in the release notes and in a few threads here.

FRG
Thanks. I did read that in the release notes, & I thought I had done that properly, but I have not had success. I will look at it again, but if you're not too busy to rep.y w/a screen shot or two, I won't be too busy to say "Thank you!", again.
Nemo Nusquam

Post by Nemo Nusquam »

ndebord wrote:Dan,

Another possibility is to use Standalone SeaMonkey Mail and if enabled with another browser when you click on a link in an email message it will automatically open up in that other browser. If you right click, it will give you the option of opening up in a New Tab or a New Window in SeaMonkey.

Nick
Thanks, Nick. I'd really rather get completely away from Chrome, which is one reason I went looking for what turned out to be SeaMonkey. If I can get the browser to work, I'll be in heaven.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Sounds like the kind of application development philosophy that folks hate about Microsoft, et al., & a prime opportunity for the open source community to show how open source is far more considerate of end-users than are giant corporations.
Are you aware that there is a separate browser (Firefox) and a separate email client (Thunderbird) available from Mozilla that might match the design you seem to be looking for?

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/a ... op-release
https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/all/
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

Nemo Nusquam wrote:
ndebord wrote:Dan,

Nick
Thanks, Nick. I'd really rather get completely away from Chrome, which is one reason I went looking for what turned out to be SeaMonkey. If I can get the browser to work, I'll be in heaven.
Nemo Nusquam,

As I noted, you can use the 3 extensions I mentioned, each to open up different browsers. My standalone browser extension calls up WaterFox, the customized FIreFox browser that I particularly like. The other two are as you mention, Chrome offshoots. I do not have Google's Chrome anywhere on my computer, finding Vivaldi and MS Edge Dev to be better variations on that engine.

Nick
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Nemo Nusquam wrote:... just the thoughts of some guy who knows virtually nothing about programming, but who knows that just because my box wrench is capable of hammering doesn't mean I want my kid to hand it to me when I come across a nail just because the box wrench is easiest for him to reach. ;)
Instead of the folksy philosophy stuff, wouldn't it just be easier for you to try to fix the problem? -

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1292228

I ask because I can see the inevitable 'My grand daddy used to say if it ain't broke, don't fix it!' stuff coming up next. :)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Nemo Nusquam

Post by Nemo Nusquam »

DanRaisch wrote:Are you aware that there is a separate browser (Firefox) and a separate email client (Thunderbird) available from Mozilla that might match the design you seem to be looking for?

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/a ... op-release
https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/all/
Actually, that is what I had been looking for ... about 8 years ago I had a Ubuntu set-up that rocked-and-rolled on Mozilla ... but everything I found indicated that Thunderbird had evolved (?) into SeaMonkey, so I went with that. As my IT skills extend only to extremely low-level desktop management, & quickly discovering the problems end-users are going to have with new versions of applications -- that's not a joke: an IT consultancy I was the HR Director for used to install stuff on my desktop because they knew I'd find the flaws -- I didn't want to install something that, if it went goofy, nobody on any forum would be interested in sorting out.

If I can go with Thunderbird w/o that risk, I'm all ears. I'd rather not use Firefox, for similar reasons as to why I am trying to get away frome Chrome & will not use Edge, but I'm open to guidance on that front, also.

Thanks!