Secure Mail Keys - AT&T email and SeaMonkey

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Dritz

Secure Mail Keys - AT&T email and SeaMonkey

Post by Dritz »

Hi,
I have been very lucky, have been able to access my AT&T primary and sub email accounts up till now. So now I guess I'm forced to set them up with Secure Mail Keys. I started with the sub account and created a Secure Mail Key. But, the part that I'm not sure about is where to change the password to the new Secure Mail Key in SeaMonkey. I'm scared to change anything for fear of screwing it all up. I did see a "change" password and a "reset password". I'm guessing it's the "change" one? So I just enter the key there? Then what, just try to "get messages" or will it try to download my mail automatically? I am also confused because it says I can continue to use my current password, that the Secure Mail Key has no effect on it?? Once I figure out how to get my sub email account working then I'll tackle the primary which hopefully will go well. I sure would like to get my email back! Debbie
Justinh

Re: Secure Mail Keys - AT&T email and SeaMonkey

Post by Justinh »

If using your passwords continue to work, ignore the secure key. I went thru that mess a year ago and just decided to stick with my passwords.

But, to answer your question as to how to use the key, I think you enter it in the password field for the user acct in Mail.

Okay, Frankie, your turn to correct me.
Last edited by Justinh on April 1st, 2021, 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dritz

Post by Dritz »

Justinh,
Sadly, my passwords have stopped working for both email accounts. I took the same tactic of just ignoring the warning of impending change until it stopped my email. Unfortunately, even changing the master password to the key hasn't helped. I'm still not getting any email so I am probably doing something wrong.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

When in the SM email processor, go to <tools> <password manager> and change the password for the effected accounts to what you were given by your ISP. To do this, you need to delete the password setting in password manager, then try to access your email and enter the new password so that it is saved by password manager.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Dritz

Post by Dritz »

Pete,
Unless I'm misunderstanding something, the issue is within SM itself. When I first log on to my email it automatically contacts the server and gives the password. What I'm trying to figure out is where to enter the new password which is the Secure Mail Key so when it logs on next time, it gives the key which then let's it send and download. Right now I can't do either. I was able to put the key in my cell phone and now it's downloading email on both mailboxes so at least I know they're working. But I need it on my laptop (SM). Seems like it should be so easy. Or maybe the problem is something else. Frustrating!
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Get past the attempt by SM to fetch the email. Then while in the email processor, click <tools> <password manager> <manage stored passwords> <passwords> then find and click on the correct account in the list and for that account delete the appropriate password entry. Then close out of the password manager and have SM get mail and enter the correct password in the SM popup.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to SeaMonkey Support.
Dritz

Post by Dritz »

Pete,
Right now I can't send or receive emails because of this error message I receive right off the bat when I try to get messages (or send): "Sending of password for user xxxxx@pacbell.net did not succeed. Mail server inbound.att.net responded: Server error - Please try again later." So it's not a website password that I'm trying to change to the secure key for the password manager, it's the password that allows me to connect to the mail server. Sorry if I'm missing something!
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Dritz wrote:Pete,
Unless I'm misunderstanding something, the issue is within SM itself.
It could be - you are using outdated version 2.49.3 while there is latest 2.53.7:
https://www.seamonkey-project.org/relea ... key2.53.7/

Make full backup of SM profile, read carefully Release Notes above, install latest SeaMonkey.

And search forum information about OAuth for AT&T. E.g.:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3055147
--
Dritz

Post by Dritz »

Okay, I have updated SM to 2.53.7. I have read what I've been able to find on OAuth and Secure Mail Keys but no where did I find an answer to fixing this. You know how the first time you fetch mail it asks for your password for that mailbox and you can mark it to automatically log on without asking again? Of course I have mine set that way and I need to stop it so I can enter the new Secure Mail Key password. Anybody know how I get it to stop submitting the password automatically so I can try that? I THINK that is how I correct this issue, I hope! AT&T understandably couldn't help me because they of course don't have the knowledge about the various browsers and it's not a password problem on their side because I can access my email through their site with no problem.
lem3

Post by lem3 »

Edit -> Preferences -> Privacy & Security -> Passwords
Manage Stored Passwords
Enter "att" in the Search box
Click "Att.com"
Right-click the "www.att.com" entry under websites and select Remove
Close the Data Manager window

That said, (so far) if you change to the Yahoo IMAP and SMTP servers and use OAuth as the authentication method you won't need to jump through all the Secure Key hoops.
Dritz

Post by Dritz »

Lem3,
Can you explain to me why I'd remove the ATT.com website from the data manager when the problem seems to be SM when it tries to communicate with the AT&T server while fetching/sending emails? Either I'm not understanding something or not explaining the problem correctly. Plus, my data manager no longer works. Maybe my theory is wrong that it's the current password that is being transmitted rather than the secure key when trying to download/send mail so if I replace the PW with the key that will fix it.

I'm pretty invested in the POP3 email format with the folders I've created and I can keep the emails on my computer without being deleted if I read the email on another device.
lem3

Post by lem3 »

The process removes the att.com password from the SM data manager.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Those are the same instructions I gave you upthread. You need to delete the password so that SM will ask for the password on the next fetch request.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Dritz

Post by Dritz »

Finally, it's fixed! I saw so many people on the Internet with this same problem but there wasn't much about solutions. Thanks to the help and explanations here, it's now up and running again. As suggested, I removed both the AT&T inbound and outbound passwords for both mailboxes. When I logged back on to my mail, it prompted for the new email address and that's where I entered the new Secure Mail Key and saved it to the Password Manager. Now I'm receiving email on both boxes and am also able to send on both. I'm so happy to have it up and running again! Thanks to all that helped!