Mail won't download mail

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
JTN18

Mail won't download mail

Post by JTN18 »

After clicking on Get Mail a line comes up at the screen bottom telling me its downloading 1 of nnn messeges but nothing is ever downloaded and the line disappears after a minute or so. This is on a WIN10 box running version 20H2 and current version of SeaMonkey. Mail did work under previous SeaMonkey version although this did happen once but on a second try I was asked for a password and it resolved itself and Mail worked subsequently until yesterday. Currently it just does as above and never asks for a password. Current SeaMonkey version on an iMac running High Sierra downloads mail without a problem. (Mail resides on AOL mail server.) I did delete the ,msf files for Inbox as recommended but the problem persists.
DanRaisch

Re: Mail won't download mail

Post by DanRaisch »

How is the account set up, as POP or IMAP? In SeaMonkey, the path is Edit->Mail & Newsgroups Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type".
* Without posting your full email address, what settings do you have under menu path Tools->Account Settings Server Settings:
Server name:
Port # :
User name : (Is it your full name or just the bit before the @ symbol)
Connection Security:
Authentication Method:
JTN18

Post by JTN18 »

It's a POP account.
Username without domain name.
Port = 995.
SSL/TLS
Normal Password

The above have been set like this for years and always worked until the last few days when it stopped.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Make sure you have updated your password to conform with the ISP-generated password.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
JTN18

Post by JTN18 »

It turns out not to have been a SeaMonkey problem but a Win10 problem. On 31Mar21 there were four updates applied by MS one of which involved .NET 4.8 and WCF. I serially uninstalled the updates and checked the mail download after each uninstall but with no change, i.e. no downloads. I then looked at "Turn Windows features on or off" on the View Update History panel and found that .NET 4.8 and a couple of WCF options were turned on. I turned .NET 4.8 off and whoosh down came all the accumulated emails. Being a belt and suspenders kind of guy I sent a test message which was in turn successfully downloaded. So it appears that .NET 4.8/WCF was the problem all along. My fingers are crossed however.

Thanks to Dan and Peter for your advice.

JTN
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

JTN18 wrote:It's a POP account.
Username without domain name.
Port = 995.
SSL/TLS
Normal Password

The above have been set like this for years and always worked until the last few days when it stopped.
JTN18

If I understand what you are saying correctly,, this is an AOL account?

If that is the case, I have had nothing but problems with them (POP3) for some time. Some time ago now, I gave up and moved on. Tried with OutLook, Thunderbird, Interlink and Seamonkey.

Not to say that is what you should do. Just sayin'

This on Windows, not Mac.

Nick
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

The AOL email system works fine with SeaMonkey...and always has.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

Peter Creasey wrote:The AOL email system works fine with SeaMonkey...and always has.
Peter,

Then it was just my AOL account that is messed up. SIGH

NIck
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome